Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2010
I personally wouldn't but I was tempted to buy one for $400 prior to Christmas. Luckily, I was able to get one from Tekserve for $329 with no tax.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
It doesn't matter if I would pay the extra. The 3rd party sellers attract those who are in immediate need and to many $70 means nothing. If today I had family, lets say in Japan, and I was leaving the country day after and had to get them the iPad from the US (for w.e reason), I would pay the $70 + S&H.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Think £100 or more. Amazon aren't remotely interested in flogging iPad Minis and Google's Nexus tablets. The Kindle Fire HD OTOH is another matter.

I did have to give a wry smile at seeing an average rating of 4.5 stars for the mini on Amazon's site. Better rating than the Fire HD (of course the fire had a lot more reviews). :)

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Watch out for Amazon. If your not careful you can get burned.

THey don't control 3rd party selling practices as far as price is concerned, and it's sometimes hard to tell them apart.

I've seen outrageous markup with dozens of items.

Like any marketplace you have to have your wits about you, or you could end up an unhappy camper.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Apple store might claim 1 week wait time, but they are shipping within like 2 days.

tkmcguire1

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
Oklahoma
I got mine from Tekserve too,they have available stock,$329 no tax and with overnight shipping I ordered it Friday afternoon and it was at my door yesterday.
Am now typing on it and enjoying it!

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
my mom got lucky and found one in best buy, I guess word got around quickly though because she said when she left like everyone started buying the mini's. Nobody wanted to pay $700 for an iPad 4 lol especially when the iPad Mini is just as capable for $350 less.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Why do people get worked up over things like this. I can list a used shoe on eBay for $399 but that doesn't mean it's the current selling price for used shoes, it just means that's the price I listed. And let's not forget sales tax makes an iPad Mini somewhere around $360 and if its a Prime dealer then 2day shipping is another bonus so $40 markup isn't that crazy.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
It doesn't matter if I would pay the extra. The 3rd party sellers attract those who are in immediate need and to many $70 means nothing. If today I had family, lets say in Japan, and I was leaving the country day after and had to get them the iPad from the US (for w.e reason), I would pay the $70 + S&H.

i do not think anyone would be in "immediate need" for such device, they may have "immediate want" for it because tablet is not something you can't live without.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
If someone chooses to spend $70 more than retail for an iPad mini, it is no concern of mine. It is their money and they can spend it like they want.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Business user should go with typical Laptop?

Perhaps. But all the drug reps floating in and out of my doctor's office last time I was there were sporting tablets. It even looked like one was standing in the hallway writing up an order on the spot.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Lets be clear...Amazon is not selling anything....that's a third party selling on Amazon. Dont expect deals from those sources.

I'm not expecting deals. I just don't get why someone would pay $399 for the mini when they can get it for $329 on Apple's website. Unless they live in a country where amazon.com is the only place to get it? Does Apple have no say on what 3rd party resellers can charge for their products?

andychelt

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
I bought an iPad mini for $400 just before Christmas in NYC. All stores were out of stock, I wanted it for a Christmas present, and even with paying an extra $50 (after sales tax) it still worked out $30-$40 cheaper than back home in the UK.

Yes I'd of much rather of bought it from an apple store, but if they don't have stock and can't even tell me when they're getting in new stock.... hey ho!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.