Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:38 PM   #151
Rocko1
macrumors 68000
 
Rocko1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
The screen would pop out before the metal bend from a bad battery. The metal is too thin and too weak. Apple chose a less expensive grade of AI and milled it to thin to withstand the rigors of daily life of a cell phone.
Rocko1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:41 PM   #152
tracedog
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
I had another thought - could it be the battery is expanding when it heats up?
The Apple Store associate had that exact same thought but he said after they opened it up the battery looked fine.
tracedog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:27 PM   #153
tracedog
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Apple Support - Update

I guess since I returned the item to the store already there is not much the Apple Support could do right then, but I have a case open with them to further research this problem. I have sent them all the photos I have and they will get back to me. In the meantime I'm opening up a case with my AMEX card too.

Cheers!

-T
tracedog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:33 PM   #154
Rocko1
macrumors 68000
 
Rocko1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracedog View Post
Here are the pics of my bent iPhone 5

Image
Image
Where?
Rocko1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:45 PM   #155
tracedog
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post
Where?
They were there......I swear...someone removed them..let me know if you still can't see these....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 12-27-12 at 10.19 AM #3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	386357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 12-27-12 at 10.19 AM #4.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	386358  
tracedog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:09 PM   #156
Rocko1
macrumors 68000
 
Rocko1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracedog View Post
They were there......I swear...someone removed them..let me know if you still can't see these....
Yeah, looks sat on for sure. It doesn't take much to bend these. The Al is very malleable.

Last edited by Rocko1; Dec 28, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
Rocko1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:15 PM   #157
Menge
macrumors 6502a
 
Menge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post
Yeah, looks sat on for sure. It doesn't take much to bend these. The AI is very malleable.
But if the guy says it wasn't sat on... then why just say it was... he was just talking on it.

And by the way it's Al (AL), not AI (ai).
__________________
Menge - 2011 2.3GHz 13" MBP - 16GB iPhone 5 - 32GB iPad WiFi+4G - 8GB iPod Nano - AEBS
Menge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:21 PM   #158
tracedog
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post
Yeah, looks sat on for sure. It doesn't take much to bend these. The AI is very malleable.
I didn't sit on it, it bent by its lonesome self on my kitchen table. I had just finished a phone call and set it down then came back to find it bent. I was home alone at the time so no one could have bent it. I have no reason to lie about this on this forum.

I mean the thing does get very hot, that could be a cause that it bends no??

Last edited by tracedog; Dec 28, 2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: update
tracedog is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:21 PM   #159
eyecon82
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menge View Post
But if the guy says it wasn't sat on... then why just say it was... he was just talking on it.

And by the way it's Al (AL), not AI (ai).
pressure from the front pocket can also do it if the pressure is there long enough......ie, bending down to fill air in your car tire
eyecon82 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:21 PM   #160
Rocko1
macrumors 68000
 
Rocko1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menge View Post
But if the guy says it wasn't sat on... then why just say it was... he was just talking on it.

And by the way it's Al (AL), not AI (ai).
Yeah. No, it wasn't perfect, then he put it up to his ear and spontaneously bent as pictured. There is not enough pressure put on the metal to force it do bend on it's own.


Do you have more pics of the other side?
Rocko1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:35 PM   #161
BHP41
macrumors 6502a
 
BHP41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracedog View Post
I didn't sit on it, it bent by its lonesome self on my kitchen table. I had just finished a phone call and set it down then came back to find it bent. I was home alone at the time so no one could have bent it. I have no reason to lie about this on this forum.

I mean the thing does get very hot, that could be a cause that it bends no??
If it was getting hot then something was wrong. I have yet to feel my 5 get anywhere near as warm as my 4S would at times. Even when charging.
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:38 PM   #162
Rocko1
macrumors 68000
 
Rocko1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
If it was getting hot then something was wrong. I have yet to feel my 5 get anywhere near as warm as my 4S would at times. Even when charging.
No heat didn't bend it. Nothing personal, but I don't believe it spontaneously bent. Could the screen spontaneously crack? Ultra rare but possible. Does aluminum bend on it's own unless there is quite a bit of stress put on it? No.
Rocko1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:56 PM   #163
BHP41
macrumors 6502a
 
BHP41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post
Yeah. No, it wasn't perfect, then he put it up to his ear and spontaneously bent as pictured. There is not enough pressure put on the metal to force it do bend on it's own.


Do you have more pics of the other side?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post
No heat didn't bend it. Nothing personal, but I don't believe it spontaneously bent. Could the screen spontaneously crack? Ultra rare but possible. Does aluminum bend on it's own unless there is quite a bit of stress put on it? No.
Completely agree. If it did get hot enough to bend itself (which is possible though the temp would have to be extremely high) there would be more issues than just a bent frame at that point.

Yes, I agree, it didn't just spontaneously bend on it's own. That just isn't in the realm of physics. The picture from the poster looks like he sat on it. I don't see any other way for these things to be getting bent. Unless you're like the DA that went to the apple store and purposefully tried to bend one.
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:33 PM   #164
Vundu
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracedog View Post
I didn't sit on it, it bent by its lonesome self on my kitchen table. I had just finished a phone call and set it down then came back to find it bent. I was home alone at the time so no one could have bent it. I have no reason to lie about this on this forum.

I mean the thing does get very hot, that could be a cause that it bends no??
Some on here feel they have to have some weird loyalty to Apple and protect them. Do not let it get to you.
Vundu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:47 PM   #165
itjw
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
I have no reason to lie about any number of things either, but that doesn't mean I'm telling the truth about everything just because I say I have no reason to lie.

For example you could be: mad because Apple won't replace your damaged phone, editing photos because you want to see if you can pull it off (or for any number of reasons really), or even just an Android user pretending to have the issue (for the claims without pics of course) to troll.

All of those things CAN be true with the powers of the internet. That's why even if you "have no reason to lie" it doesn't matter. We have no way of knowing if that's true, so you need more evidence than a picture and a claim.

Watch:

Bigfoot stole my iPad Mini. He did. I swear. I have NO reason to lie about it.

(insert picture of Bigfoot with iPad Mini here)

See? He did! This is all Apple's fault somehow! Blah blah poor materials... Blah blah "gate"... Blah blah didn't buy AppleCare+...

Is that "proof" of anything??? Of course not.

Because the odds of something bending on its own (or being stolen by Bigfoot) are obscenely low, I call BS until real evidence is presented.

I do know that if you sit on it, it can bend. That makes sense to almost everyone. Bending on its own does not. That makes sense to almost no one.

Hence the doubt. It is well deserved. Sorry.
itjw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:05 PM   #166
BHP41
macrumors 6502a
 
BHP41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States of America
I just can't see how anyone could sit their phone down one minute and walk away. Then come back a few minutes later and it's all of a sudden bent. I just can't see how a rational person can believe such a story.

It may be how he remembers it but it's more than likely the first time that he noticed it. Which would mean that it didn't "just" bend and that there is a explanation for it. We're just don't have access to how these phones are used day in day out. I'm not saying that he is lying, I'm just saying that the story doesn't make sense.
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:10 AM   #167
anhn27
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
got the same problem recently

we went through the same ordeal yesterday: outer FedEx box was somewhat squished at one end, the inner bubble wrap inside had no air, but the iPhone5 box was in good shape, just minor dents here and there. However, the iPhone5 inside had a dent on the top of the volume down button and the device seemed to bent at that point.

called verizon cs a few times and they all asked to file a claim with FedEx. So we filed claim with FedEx as well. Didn't feel like verizon did its job to take care of its customer.

We took the damaged device to near by Apple store and they happily processed it under warranty. They simply swap out just device. We kept the original iPhone5 box and accessories.

Verizon, we're simply disappointed in the way your cs reps handled this case. Thumbs up to Apple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD1W5NLIBIo
anhn27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:58 AM   #168
Charadis
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhn27 View Post
we went through the same ordeal yesterday: outer FedEx box was somewhat squished at one end, the inner bubble wrap inside had no air, but the iPhone5 box was in good shape, just minor dents here and there. However, the iPhone5 inside had a dent on the top of the volume down button and the device seemed to bent at that point.

called verizon cs a few times and they all asked to file a claim with FedEx. So we filed claim with FedEx as well. Didn't feel like verizon did its job to take care of its customer.

We took the damaged device to near by Apple store and they happily processed it under warranty. They simply swap out just device. We kept the original iPhone5 box and accessories.

Verizon, we're simply disappointed in the way your cs reps handled this case. Thumbs up to Apple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD1W5NLIBIo
Thanks for sharing the video. That is awful; glad to hear Apple took care of you. They are great when it comes to taking care of their customers. Sent from my iPhone 5.
Charadis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:36 AM   #169
n8236
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Not saying the OP is lying, but from Apple's perspective, their QA would have caught something like this. They churn out MILLIONS of these things, and knowing Apple, their QA is above and beyond what I can say of other vendors. It's not to suggest they are perfect, but a bent ip5 like that should have obviously halted the assembly line and had it tossed. A perfect box does tend to indicate there were no external factors that caused the phone to be bent, thus leading to the implication this is an user issue.

I would try just gently bending it back...
__________________
MBP Duo Core (02/14/06) : Pro Core 2 Duo (12/23/08) : MBP i7 (04/16/10) : MBP i7 v2 (02/03/11) : MBPr (08/25/12)
http://www.speedtest.net/result/405480361.png
n8236 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:20 AM   #170
eyecon82
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8236 View Post
Not saying the OP is lying, but from Apple's perspective, their QA would have caught something like this. They churn out MILLIONS of these things, and knowing Apple, their QA is above and beyond what I can say of other vendors. It's not to suggest they are perfect, but a bent ip5 like that should have obviously halted the assembly line and had it tossed. A perfect box does tend to indicate there were no external factors that caused the phone to be bent, thus leading to the implication this is an user issue.

I would try just gently bending it back...
how do you know there aren't thousands of people with this problem? Not everyone goes on forums, and most don't even know what they are...

i bet you if you go up to some random stranger and ask them what a form is, they' will look at you funny.

You can't judge by what you see on here, and there are at least 50 separate reports of this throughout the entire thread and other threads on this forum
eyecon82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:25 AM   #171
kadillac
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
50 reports? LOL! More like 10, by people who sit on their phone like idiots. Hell, my father sits on his 5 all the time, no bed. I think it's an ID-10T error.
kadillac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:01 PM   #172
truelies
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Curious, how will it be bent? people sit on it?
truelies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:02 AM   #173
roxxette
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by truelies View Post
Curious, how will it be bent? people sit on it?
That and tight pants is my guess.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:05 AM   #174
samven582
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhn27 View Post
we went through the same ordeal yesterday: outer FedEx box was somewhat squished at one end, the inner bubble wrap inside had no air, but the iPhone5 box was in good shape, just minor dents here and there. However, the iPhone5 inside had a dent on the top of the volume down button and the device seemed to bent at that point.

called verizon cs a few times and they all asked to file a claim with FedEx. So we filed claim with FedEx as well. Didn't feel like verizon did its job to take care of its customer.

We took the damaged device to near by Apple store and they happily processed it under warranty. They simply swap out just device. We kept the original iPhone5 box and accessories.

Verizon, we're simply disappointed in the way your cs reps handled this case. Thumbs up to Apple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD1W5NLIBIo
they gave you a refurb
samven582 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:39 AM   #175
Chris092881
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by samven582 View Post
they gave you a refurb
They sure did. This is what fascinates me regarding the way Apple handles the return of defective devices that are brand new, for remanufactured or refurb devices. They tried to pull that on me back on November 1st. I told them no and called Verizon, who then sent me a new iPhone. To summarize: Customer receives damaged package from FedEx with a dented iPhone 5 inside (I don't think FedEx caused this, however. It's probably a manufacturing defect), and then takes it to Apple where his dented, albeit, brand new phone is exchanged out for a white-box refurb. What planet am I on? To even the staunchest Apple supporter this reeks of insanity. I wouldn't have accepted that if I were the customer. But to each their own. Remember all you Apple fanboys, all is well between you and Apple now. But one day things will go sour for you and when Apple tries to screw you over don't be shocked. You've been warned. This story is a perfect word of caution to all those on the fence regarding purchasing an iPhone.
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bent iPhone 5! Ryan Burgess iPhone 131 Nov 6, 2013 08:07 AM
Bent iPhone 5 Austintylerl iPhone 239 Aug 13, 2013 09:00 PM
Another Bent iPhone velibor iPhone 27 Jun 24, 2013 07:22 AM
I bent my iPhone 5 iapplelove iPhone 54 Jun 21, 2013 06:16 AM
Bent iPhone 5 Aaronneil iPhone 70 Jan 27, 2013 05:28 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC