Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
Woop WOOP

Can't wait to get my fingerprints all over my SAMOLED Android 4.2 beta with 3D 52" Super Galaxy Inferno TV with SmartACTIV technology and WiFi with LTE from Verizon with Unprecedented(tm) portrait mode!!

Knowing Samsung I wouldn't be surprised if this "new TV" is indeed a 52" smartphone.

teejaysyke

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
Plot Twist, it's actually the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. BIGGEST SCREEN ON A SMART PHONE... 50 INCHES, BEAT THAT APPLE!!!!!!! :p

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
Maybe a refined, passive, glasses-free 3D TV. That depth, like looking out a window, could be what they are playing to with the distant tree framed by a "window". I like Samsung's displays, so I certainly will be curious to see what they are up to.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
There's more Sydney than Vegas in the vid. :D

Is there any Vagas in the Vid it looks like all sydney to me?
Where did they find such an old bus?

A portrait shape sounds counterintuitive given the alignment of our eyes and basic optics. :p We usually want landscape mode and that is that. But it could be a hint that this TV has a swivel, so for the rare times you do want a portrait orientation (especially rare given that you don't really read books on a TV), you have the option.

If a Portrait (iPad ratio) shape is the new big thing why is the TV at the end of the vid clearly widescreen?

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I don't care how great the tv is, it's all about the content and the software used to access that content. Samsung might have a nice interface coming but I'm certain when apple shows us what they have been working on (for a very long time) it will be better than anything anyone else has been able to come up with.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
It is going to have a feature where if you touch one tv to the next, you can get each others favorite channel setups.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Woop WOOP

Can't wait to get my fingerprints all over my SAMOLED Android 4.2 beta with 3D 52" Super Galaxy Inferno TV with SmartACTIV technology and WiFi with LTE from Verizon with Unprecedented(tm) portrait mode!!

Hilarious.

Mike1984

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
Samsung is very good at television/display tech, but they're not so good at disrupting markets with new innovations. We'll see.

We've got a new Samsung TV, and the color SUCKS.
I've never seen worse color calibration.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
So - They built a wireless Smart TV. (I'm guessing this is obvious from the emphasis on the cord?) . Given the amazing "cough" response from consumers towards the "Samsung Smart TV", this is sure to be an apple killer lol.

You know, it is possible for competitors to make something without 'killing' Apple in mind. Apple doesn't even make TVs (yet).

ashdelacroix

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2013
Looks like a B&O

That teaser shot looks like the BeoVision 10 from Bang & Olufsen, which has the same "gallery" look:
http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/picture/beovision-10

I'm assuming the news exists on this forum because of a veiled threat to Apple's own apparent desires for a radical new TV set. Samsung can release what they like and let the consumer decide. I can't see what damage this does to Apple because content and ecosystem, as well as the sheer ease of use, will be the points on which any Apple TV set will succeed or fail. We expect good design as standard.

I have to say, I look to the mooted Apple TV set with trepidation. First, cost on every level will be a huge issue because whereas people are generally happy to upgrade their iPad or even their MacBooks every couple years or so, TVs go on living for years so Apple will likely want to make more money out of TV content. We know they make proportionately small amounts of money from iTunes content generally and more on hardware markup, so I will be interested to see how Apple repackages content so that it can draw off profit for years from the same TV set or cable box.

Second, there are some great TVs out there already and I think most people switch them on and browse through channels and that's pretty much it. There is less of that burning desire to see something radical as there was with the desktop computer or mobile phone or tablet. Of course, Apple's stock-in-trade has been to show us things we didn't realise we wanted and to solve problems we didn't quite know we had. Still, I want to sit down and lose myself with my TV, not interact with it so much. I'm not after an iPad experience: I want to watch content and turn off other distractions. Where will Apple sit within that experience?

Personally, I think Apple could offer an advanced Apple TV set top box, not unlike the existing one, and allow content providers to submit "apps" that work on the device -- just like the App Store but for batches of content or even whole channels that are "downloadable", permitting access to both linear content (live TV) and on-demand content. That way, Apple can siphon off a 30% markup and allow a degree of openness to content providers, who maintain control over content, scheduling and overall pricing, as well as making the platform international (rather than being tied down to local cabling etc).

Once a few channels jump on board, I think we'll quickly see other channels responding to viewers' demands to watch their content on the new Apple platform. I can't see how Apple will persuade content owners / cable operators to sign long contracts and "lose power" to Apple in such an upfront way. Apple will need to leverage user demand to slowly bring providers on-side and follow the "app" model that has worked so successfully on iOS and Mac systems.

Of course I'm going to be completely wrong, but its fun second-guessing Apple even before they've released anything substantial. Why else would we come to this forum.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Bezel-less would be nice, but honestly the new LG screens have such a small bezel anything less is negligible. Unless it seriously does look beautiful!

Either way, I am hoping for something really nice (though I can't think of anything revolutionary they could add)!

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Just wondering... if the display is translucent, wouldn't it spoil the contrast ratio? Wouldn't the blacks be bad unless you're in a really dark room?

Don't get me wrong, having a translucent display is an amazing technological feat. But the practical use for it, samsung will have to prove that this is more useful

Yeah, it would be a little weird - basically in my front room you'd be treated to a view of a dusty blank wall and a WHOLE bunch of cables and things that are normally hidden away.

And portrait? Because I'd love to watch TV shows like they were shot on someone's phone.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Just wondering... if the display is translucent, wouldn't it spoil the contrast ratio? Wouldn't the blacks be bad unless you're in a really dark room?

Don't get me wrong, having a translucent display is an amazing technological feat. But the practical use for it, samsung will have to prove that this is more useful

And when you place it in your living room... do you really want to see the tangle of wires behind your tv while you're watching ;)

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I bet they are hoping Apple release something before CES or they won't have anything to show!

Last edited:

peacenfunk

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
Or maybe it is a normal tv, but on the remote it gives you the option of portrait or landscape. A switch could be on the remote saving against accidently pressing the button. A hinge like mechanism could be on the back of the set allowing it to rotate. No transparent screen. Just a thought and my opinion :D

Marcus-k

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2011
That ad is very Samsung. You have no idea what is happening.

It's not an ad, it's a teaser. It's great as a teaser, too.

----------

We've got a new Samsung TV, and the color SUCKS.
I've never seen worse color calibration.

All new TVs are sent in a "dynamic" color mode, to look good in a store. You need to set it to "Normal" or something similar.

----------

And when you place it in your living room... do you really want to see the tangle of wires behind your tv while you're watching ;)

Wires would of course be connected at the base of the TV to avoid that, i don't think the TV manufacturers would be that stupid.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I've had the same TV for nearly 4 years and haven't seen a reason to upgrade. I don't watch enough TV to care.

As it stands I watch more content on my iPad.

I think most people are in this boat. Not the iPad part but the "I've had the same TV for nearly 4 years and haven't seen a reason to upgrade" boat. I only upgraded my TV cause it was not digital capable last year. I don't think people are willing to buy a new television set every year or every other year.

Funny this. Cause an iPad or an iPhone can easily cost a lot more then a TV. It did for me, though people are willing to change those every other year. I think the catch is people don't seem the need to have the latest and greatest TV. It plays my content in HD at the size I want? If yes all good. No reason to upgrade.

It's up to Apple and Samesung and the rest to give us a reason to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.