Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Southernboyj
macrumors 68000

Verizon Note 2

So I have a question, I just got a Verizon Note 2 and unlike my old GS3.. my home screens won't loop? I don't see a setting for it anywhere. My brother has a Note 2 on AT&T and his does it fine.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Explicitic
macrumors 6502

It seems to be disabled by Verizon for whoknowswhat reason. There is a mod posted on XDA that seems to work but you'll need root and the person who posted it is running a custom ROM. Just make a backup before you attempt the mod...The file being referred to is in "/system/csc/feature.xml". If you don't feel like rooting, well I don't know what to say...just make sure you have a nandroid backup if you attempt this.

"To Enable, find the "CscFeature_Launcher_DisablePageRotation" node in the file (was towards the bottom in my file) and set to "false" as below:
Code:
<CscFeature_Launcher_DisablePageRotation>false</CscFeature_Launcher_DisablePageRotation>
REQUIRES: root.
If the node is missing, try adding it somewhere in the file (as long as it's between the "FeatureSet" tags.
Make sure the file permissions are set to 644, then reboot.
This setting affects both the launcher and apps/widgets.
Change the "false" to "true" to disable scrolling."
Explicitic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Southernboyj
macrumors 68000

I don't mind rooting, I'd like to keep the stock ROM though. Why did Verizon disable the most random things. >.<
I just got my Note 2 today. Is rooting it as easy as the S3?
Southernboyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:37 PM   #4
Explicitic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernboyj View Post
I don't mind rooting, I'd like to keep the stock ROM though. Why did Verizon disable the most random things. >.<
I just got my Note 2 today. Is rooting it as easy as the S3?
Rooting Android devices in general is very simple, and people who say otherwise have either never tried it or just have no idea what they're talking about.

Once you're rooted, flash http://d-h.st/66M for recovery so you can create nandroids. Use Odin to do it.

Here are instructions directly from the thread. Flashing the image will wipe your device...

"Root66 stock VRALJB 4.1.1 12/2/12- http://androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390210501348163619 (This is our very first fully functional rooted Odin image.. Thanks MrRobinson!!)

Step 3: Power device off, hold the volume down/home/power keys until you see a yellow triangle, then press the volume up key to access "odin or download mode".

Step 4: Open Odin and connect the oem usb cable from pc to device. The driver should automatically install( it did for me on windows 7 64bit). There should also be a "comport number" in upper left hand corner of Odin indicating communication between the pc & device.

Step 5: Uncheck Auto reboot

Step 6: Click on the PDA function of Odin. Select the file you downloaded in step 2 (the .img file), then select start. This operation should take less than 8 minutes before Odin will say pass/reset.

Step 7: Pull and reinstall battery.

Step 8: Press and hold the volume up/home/power buttons until you see a green android. You should boot into ASR(Android Stock Recovery)

Step 9: Wipe cache.(If you experience errors, boot back into ASR and wipe data.)

Step 10 Reboot!"

Download ODIN here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...2&d=1340993443
Drivers: http://tinyw.in/Fdoz

Sorry for the really messy post....messed a lot of things up ._.

Last edited by Explicitic; Dec 30, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:31 PM   #5
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Look up exynos abuse . it works to root the note ii and doesn't even require a computer. Its the easiest method to root the note ii.
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:37 PM   #6
Explicitic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
Look up exynos abuse . it works to root the note ii and doesn't even require a computer. Its the easiest method to root the note ii.
I originally recommended that but it seems there's a bit more risk than just flashing the .img. I'm not sure, though, as I've never used it with any of my Samsung/Exynos devices.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:20 AM   #7
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explicitic View Post
I originally recommended that but it seems there's a bit more risk than just flashing the .img. I'm not sure, though, as I've never used it with any of my Samsung/Exynos devices.
It pretty risk free. My friend did it on his note and was fully rooted within 5 seconds. You don't even have to reboot the phone.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:49 PM   #8
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

You know what else you should do...

Either buy a set of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-ALUMIN...item1c2c4cb2cd

He also sells other colors.

Or use some tape and a penny to remove the Verizon logo.

I would personally apply the aluminum sticker cover over it as to not void the warranty. After that one year though I would remove it with the penny and tape. It just bothers me that much.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Nabooly
macrumors 6502a

This along with the necessity for the wallpaper to be cropped (only portrait photos) are extremely annoying.
Nabooly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:48 PM   #10
Southernboyj
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabooly View Post
This along with the necessity for the wallpaper to be cropped (only portrait photos) are extremely annoying.
Wait... what?
Southernboyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 01:41 PM   #11
Nabooly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernboyj View Post
Wait... what?
The wallpaper doesn't move as you scroll through the home screens. It's a standalone picture that you set and it must be cropped if it's a landscape pic
Nabooly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 01:44 PM   #12
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
The wallpaper doesn't move as you scroll through the home screens. It's a standalone picture that you set and it must be cropped if it's a landscape pic
Can't you use a different launcher like Nova which lets you have scrollable wallpapers? The stock launcher is too restrictive IMO.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:42 PM   #13
dinggus
Banned

Is there any difference between Rooting and Jailbreaking?
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 04:55 PM   #14
Esoom
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to Esoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
Can't you use a different launcher like Nova which lets you have scrollable wallpapers? The stock launcher is too restrictive IMO.
This, ADP, Launcher Pro, Nova Pro are all great launchers with a ton of settings.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:57 PM   #15
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
Is there any difference between Rooting and Jailbreaking?
Rooting according to the CyanogenMod wiki:

Rooting
Obtaining root ("administrator", or "full") access to the device. This means you can mount its internal memory partition as read/write, which lets you do various things: have USB or Wi-Fi tethering, uninstall applications you otherwise can't uninstall (e.g. the Amazon MP3 store), install applications that need root access (such as AdFree), disable the camera shutter sound (simply by deleting the shutter sound file), overclock or underclock the CPU, install and boot Debian, and so on. Installing CyanogenMod roots the device in the process. The "Superuser" app controls what applications may gain root privileges.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/index.ph...=Doc:_glossary
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:05 PM   #16
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
Rooting according to the CyanogenMod wiki:

Rooting
Obtaining root ("administrator", or "full") access to the device. This means you can mount its internal memory partition as read/write, which lets you do various things: have USB or Wi-Fi tethering, uninstall applications you otherwise can't uninstall (e.g. the Amazon MP3 store), install applications that need root access (such as AdFree), disable the camera shutter sound (simply by deleting the shutter sound file), overclock or underclock the CPU, install and boot Debian, and so on. Installing CyanogenMod roots the device in the process. The "Superuser" app controls what applications may gain root privileges.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/index.ph...=Doc:_glossary
Ah, no Installous type program on Android?
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:17 PM   #17
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
Ah, no Installous type program on Android?
Not as far as I know. You can sideload apps if you know where to get them from.

(I'm not promoting this, I buy all my apps. Also did when I was JB on iOS)
3bs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:00 AM   #18
Southernboyj
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the wallpaper.. I'm talking about the app pages.. one all S3's and all Non-Verizon Note 2s.. when you get to the last page and swipe right.. it takes you back to the first page.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices