Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Clients shouldn't be texting you, nor should you be texting them. A phone call is much more professional for a business...

Thanks, Ethan, I'll be sure to pass this business tip along to my clients who are so busy running their own large firms and highly professional careers that they need a person like me just to care for their estates, gardens and farmland. I'm sure they'll understand.

crazytiger86

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
Thanks, Ethan, I'll be sure to pass this business tip along to my clients who are so busy running their own large firms and highly professional careers that they need a person like me just to care for their estates, gardens and farmland. I'm sure they'll understand.

Please dont feed the trolls.

You got your answer. JB your phone and get iBlacklist OR..you could turn off your phone altogether or put it in airplane mode :D

rfsness88

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2011
I find this to be a silly idea. If I am busy or if I don't care to respond I'm not responding. No need for the melodrama.

I've been waiting for this on the iPhone forever. I have conversations via texting with people all the time. For instance, I'll text 7 or 8 people asking them what house party they are going to tonight. We will text back and forth making plans then I hop in the shower for 10 minutes. When I get back I have all these texts from people asking me why I'm ignoring them. So before I shower I Copy/paste "shower brb" to all 8 people. What a pain in the ass. It's rude not to though.

Maybe this is more for the younger generation that have conversations via texting more like AIM (AOL Instant Messenger(for you old folks)).

a23kiki23

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
I think it is definitely a young-generation concept. I don't have an iphone yet, but have been researching all the capabilities before going ahead and buying one and not having this is a huge drawback for me. rfsness88 is right, not responding to a large group of people is both rude and greatly annoying when you get back and have 10-15+ texts all asking the same question.

As for the OP, I know there is still no real way to do this without jailbreaking the phone, but another app I found while looking is called "text away"

QueenZel

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2012
Away Texy

Does anyone know if Away Text is worth looking at for this? It seems like it may do the job- I want it for responding to texts when I'm driving. I've just jail broken my iphone after 2 yrs, and am new to the Cidia apps. I'm also running iOs5.1, so I'm not sure Away Text will work for me.

Sperkie

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
I have a friend that has an android. He sets it up for while he is sleeping, it sends an auto reply that he is asleep, and I'd it is an emergency to actually call him. Otherwise he will text them back later i would love to see this as an app for iPhone

Last edited:

Raygreen3

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2011
Greensboro, NC
I too am shocked that there is not one app in the Apple App Store for auto response to text. "Away Text" doesn't exist anymore. I don't feel like jail breaking my phone for iBlacklist either. AT&T does offer a blocking feature for $5 a month, but that is just to stop getting harassing text or phone calls. It only sends an auto response to other AT&T customers.

I think the new update iOS 6 will have a do not disturb feature. But I can't believe there is no other app that can at least let someone know your driving, in a meeting or sleeping and can't respond to the text message.

Capitalistnyc

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
I have many apartment buildings in NYC. Tenants typically text me with service requests and other issues. I am going to be away for a few days and unavailable on my iPhone. Is there any way to set up an auto response text that will state that "I am away and if an emergency contact XYZ at xxx-xxxx." Contacting hundreds of people to let them know I will be away and unavailable for a few days seems rediculous. There has to be an app solution for this. Please help.

Mnic

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
For the people who don't understand the value of an auto reply, how about this? I'm in sales and I travel in the Caribbean. Customers text all the time. If I'm roaming on another carrier, the texts don't always come through. When I get back to an AT&T signal I'll get several texts some of which may be time sensitive as in an order that has a cut off time for delivery. If they call, or email I can leave a message explaining I am about of contact and provide them alternative means to get hold of me or someone else in my office that can help immediately. If they text and assume I got their message, it can create a real mess. Especially if its an order that is needed prior to a busy weekend or event.
Contrary to what some have implied in this thread, It's not realistic to notify every customer each time I change islands!

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
For the people who don't understand the value of an auto reply, how about this? I'm in sales and I travel in the Caribbean. Customers text all the time. If I'm roaming on another carrier, the texts don't always come through. When I get back to an AT&T signal I'll get several texts some of which may be time sensitive as in an order that has a cut off time for delivery. If they call, or email I can leave a message explaining I am about of contact and provide them alternative means to get hold of me or someone else in my office that can help immediately. If they text and assume I got their message, it can create a real mess. Especially if its an order that is needed prior to a busy weekend or event.
Contrary to what some have implied in this thread, It's not realistic to notify every customer each time I change islands!

From those of you who run small businesses and need this feature:

Would you consider using an alternate phone number if you could achieve these kinds of features? For example, you use an app to set an SMS autoresponder on this phone number you give out to clients.

Rtwendel

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
SMS auto reply

Wouldnt a busy signal or hitting his voicemail be good enough?

I too want ("need") this function. When snow skiing I have ear phones on connected to my iPhone. I listen to music and can reply to phone calls with a button on the ear phones. Answering text messages more treacherous. First it means digging the phone out of it's secure location. Second I have to find my reading glasses. Third I have to remove my gloves and risk frostbite to reply. I would like to set up an auto reply outgoing text that just says - can't text now - call me if you want.
For those of us dealing with the younger generation texting is their way of life and this is a frequent and common problem:confused::)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.