Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
Hey, i recently switched to a airport extreme router, and have noticed in my ftp software the user's ip's are shown incorrectly. I'm using rumpus and the ip address is shown as my routers ip, it worked perfectley fine before i switched t the airport extreme. The ftp service is working (users can login and transfer files) just it shows the wrong ip (so all my ip bans no longer work)

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks
max¥¥

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
I'm using my 4th gen Airport Extreme as my router and having Server installed on my 09 mac mini, I see the actual IP that I connect from listed.

Never used Rumpus before but, it sounds like you used port forwarding to redirect port 21 from the outside to the internal IP with port 21. That would cause the IP to show up as the AE's internal IP.

How to fix that? Besides running Server, I'm not sure.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
it is being used as the router
Sounds like a NAT issue to me. Incoming requests are being source-natted so that by the time they reach the server, the source addresses are all that of the router. Not sure how to fix that in an AirPort Extreme, though.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
I'm using my 4th gen Airport Extreme as my router and having Server installed on my 09 mac mini, I see the actual IP that I connect from listed.

Never used Rumpus before but, it sounds like you used port forwarding to redirect port 21 from the outside to the internal IP with port 21. That would cause the IP to show up as the AE's internal IP.

How to fix that? Besides running Server, I'm not sure.

Yes, i am using port forwarding.
The server is running osx server (10.5.8 on my xserve G4), however the inbuilt ftp server just dosen't work for what i use it for (too much time and effort to set it up, as the same files are shared over 2 other protocols)

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Yes, i am using port forwarding.
The server is running osx server (10.5.8 on my xserve G4), however the inbuilt ftp server just dosen't work for what i use it for (too much time and effort to set it up, as the same files are shared over 2 other protocols)

I'm not too sure of the differences but, I think ML Server "took over" the Airport Extreme and opened up the running server ports that it needed. My AE is the router, with one of my five static IPs and my server has an internal IP. That's why I say it "took over" the AE.

I'll read up some more and see if I can figure something out.

EDIT: Do you have the option to configure the AE via the Server app? I know in MLServer, I can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.