Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What was your biggest dissapointment/s gaming wise of 2012?

Mine..

1) e3 and the total lack of those killer Vita titles we were all praying for after the system launched and then seemed to stagnate for the majority of 2012

2) Assassins Creed 3, so many good ideas wasted on messy bug ridden gameplay and surprisingly clumsy controls. And despite an 'open world' the game is very linear.

3) lack of new IP's bar some standout titles like Sleeping Dogs & Dishonored, there was generally a lack of new IP's for retail games.

4) Delays.... From Animal Crossing & Luigi Mansion on 3DS, Rayman Legends & Pikmin 3 on Wii U, this year saw a lot of potentially system selling titles slip into 2013.

5) DLC & in-app purchases - This year there has been great DLC (Borderlands 2, Skyrim) but the majority of DLC this year has been raping gamers for content that should have been included for the most part from the outset. And Capcom need a kick in the nuts.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Re: Black Ops 2....

My expectations of COD : Black Ops 2 were exceedingly low, so it didn't dissapoint me. I thought the strategy idea on some of the campaign missions was clever, but overall the game was just a number of set pieces haphazardly clumped together by an ill conceived plot with absolutely no redeemable characters or central protagonist that you could give a damn about.

Even the coolest parts turned out to be very simple and exceedingly linear (the fly suits were great for the 60 seconds they were used in the game).

I did like the enhanced Zombie mode more than the solo campaign.

May 8, 2008
FWIW, I never play/ care about single player with any of the COD games. I get them solely to play online with friends. However, given the PS3 server issues/ problems with online play, that pretty killed Black Ops 2 for me. I've only recently started to play again.

Blaming the consumer was a bad move on Activisions part. :rolleyes:

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
I was felt kinda let down by these titles.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
Resident Evil 6

there arnt many games out this year that I wanted I will prob get Max Payne 3 and Spec Ops the line in the sales.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Resident Evil 6
My expectations were reasonably low, but this game still managed to disappoint.

Dead Space 3
And it's not even out yet! ;) But really, everything they have shown so far has just made me cringe! A shame, really, cause Dead Space was one of my favorite new IPs this generation!

Mass Effect 1
I knew this wouldn't be as good as the other two on a technical level, but the controls and load times really make this a chore fo me to get through. Just sticking with it for the story.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The last ten minutes of Mass Effect 3, which were one of the most epic fails in the video game industry since Daikatana.

This upset a lot of people, and whilst I wasn't enamoured by it, neither was I truly disappointed. I was more disappointed by the mechanics of the ending/s rather than the actual ending FMV sequences...

For me it broke the illusion the game had set up to create. That the choices i made were important leading me to this specific path / destiny.

For me it essentially did boil down to 3 choices of ending which weren't remarkably different from one another. I think it just hurt gamers that these choices they had been making for 60+ hours into the trilogy boiled down to you being on a basic corridor with a character that only had any relevance in the last part Mass Effect 3 (because in hindsight its clear the developers just didn't know how to work a tangible ending to the story) and told pick a coloured door rather than it being about all my actions have leading me to this point and there is no going back because these are the choices I had made...

By offering to some players all the endings, they just had to pick one. The choice was actually taken away from the player, that their destiny was not destined and it mocked their choices over the whole playthrough.

The final FMV sequences I thought were ok and I could have been happy with any of them, but it was this tortured corridor mechanic, and here's a random character we created and shoved into episode 3 to get you to pick a door in the last 10 minutes I found really disappointing.

----------

there arnt many games out this year that I wanted I will prob get Max Payne 3 and Spec Ops the line in the sales.

Max Payne 3 is one of my gaming disappointments of 2013. Hated the jittery Bourne Ultimatum style film editing they thrust onto the games visuals. It made the whole experience for me a rather nauseous one. I thought the whole game was over hyped and over rated.

Spec Ops was a very pleasant surprise however.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
5) DLC & in-app purchases - This year there has been great DLC (Borderlands 2, Skyrim) but the majority of DLC this year has been raping gamers for content that should have been included for the most part from the outset. And Capcom need a kick in the nuts.

If Capcom deserves a kick in the nuts then so do Gearbox for what they did to Borderlands 2.

I preordered it through Steam, got overly excited and then preordered the "Season Pass". Which was great if it contained all the DLC within the "season". Because I preordered I got the Mecromancer, but a friend who didn't preorder the game but did get the Season Pass missed out on it.
Then they sold the US preorder DLC in Europe outside of the Pass too, something we couldn't have got even if we wanted.

Wasn't happy with how they handled that. When I found out that we were missing the preorder DLC (despite preordering, paying the same/more than US) I stopped playing. It just soured the whole thing for me :eek:. I'll be getting Borderlands 3 when it's complete+on sale on Steam I think.
That's my biggest disappointment of the year.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
The last ten minutes of Mass Effect 3, which were one of the most epic fails in the video game industry since Daikatana.

This upset a lot of people, and whilst I wasn't enamoured by it, neither was I truly disappointed. I was more disappointed by the mechanics of the ending/s rather than the actual ending FMV sequences...

For me it broke the illusion the game had set up to create. That the choices i made were important leading me to this specific path / destiny.

For me it essentially did boil down to 3 choices of ending which weren't remarkably different from one another. I think it just hurt gamers that these choices they had been making for 60+ hours into the trilogy boiled down to you being on a basic corridor with a character that only had any relevance in the last part Mass Effect 3 (because in hindsight its clear the developers just didn't know how to work a tangible ending to the story) and told pick a coloured door rather than it being about all my actions have leading me to this point and there is no going back because these are the choices I had made...

By offering to some players all the endings, they just had to pick one. The choice was actually taken away from the player, that their destiny was not destined and it mocked their choices over the whole playthrough.

The final FMV sequences I thought were ok and I could have been happy with any of them, but it was this tortured corridor mechanic, and here's a random character we created and shoved into episode 3 to get you to pick a door in the last 10 minutes I found really disappointing.

----------

Max Payne 3 is one of my gaming disappointments of 2013. Hated the jittery Bourne Ultimatum style film editing they thrust onto the games visuals. It made the whole experience for me a rather nauseous one. I thought the whole game was over hyped and over rated.

I'm curious, what were you guys expecting out of the ending? Let's not forget that one, to become a legend, a lot of times, the heroine/hero dies. Secondly, they said from the beginning that the this was the first trilogy of a saga, so the endings had to be similar enough to build from.

Mass Effect 1
I knew this wouldn't be as good as the other two on a technical level, but the controls and load times really make this a chore fo me to get through. Just sticking with it for the story.

Sooo... you're complaining that a 5 year old game isn't as good as/better than a 2 year game or a 9 month old game?

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Skrim PS3...DLC too late or not coming at all plus the constant inconsistencies with the Xbox360/PS3 ports.

Gaming blogs complete dismissal of some great games for the Vita. All I ever read is the doom and gloom of the thing when there is a lot of good games available. The fanboys just eat it up.

Silent Hill HD collection is garbage. Besides the glitches/bum job its not complete. Where's the original SH, where's the room....come on Konami! They ruin something special for a Silent Hill fan like myself.

Xbox360....yeah besides...no games interest me on the console this whole year :(

Bless

Keenupie

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2012
Washington DC
I Personally think Vita was the greatest disappointment, I am a fan of HandHeld Gaming and don't find it too appealing on Smartphones as I do not fancy touch controls yet, but Vita boy oh boy I still have no single reason to want to go buy it, and they hyped the call of duty bundle,

Agreed with AC3 too, was so pumped before it came, once it came played it for some time at a friends place and thought that was enough play time this game needed,

Some more disappointments include,

Max Payne 3, 3DS games, Ghost Recon (Rubbish),

And being a Halo Fan, I truly had little fun in the single Player, but yeah have been enjoying the Multiplayer,

killer Vita titles we were all praying for after the system launched and then seemed to stagnate for the majority of 2012

2) Assassins Creed 3,

Believe me you could just pass off Max Payne 3,

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

there arnt many games out this year that I wanted I will prob get Max Payne 3

Lets hope GTA V, Bioshock, Last of Us, MGS: R, give us a better time,

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm curious, what were you guys expecting out of the ending? Let's not forget that one, to become a legend, a lot of times, the heroine/hero dies. Secondly, they said from the beginning that the this was the first trilogy of a saga, so the endings had to be similar enough to build from.
?

As I say I wasn't disappointed by the ending FMV parts, but the part just before that which I found mechanically flawed and disappointing.

If I'd just been greeted by the endd FMV end of story, grand.. but the now is time to choose which ending you want utterly undermined the whole decision making part of the game. It made me feel my choices over three games were redundant. That's was my issue with it, not each of the FMV ending sequences.

----------

Found out today that the toilet is too far away from the Wii U for the gamepad to work.

That's to prevent Wii accidents ;)

----------

If Capcom deserves a kick in the nuts then so do Gearbox for what they did to Borderlands 2.

I preordered it through Steam, got overly excited and then preordered the "Season Pass". Which was great if it contained all the DLC within the "season". Because I preordered I got the Mecromancer, but a friend who didn't preorder the game but did get the Season Pass missed out on it.
Then they sold the US preorder DLC in Europe outside of the Pass too, something we couldn't have got even if we wanted.

Wasn't happy with how they handled that. When I found out that we were missing the preorder DLC (despite preordering, paying the same/more than US) I stopped playing. It just soured the whole thing for me :eek:. I'll be getting Borderlands 3 when it's complete+on sale on Steam I think.
That's my biggest disappointment of the year.

Yep this classic example of how they are killing gamers spirits with the abhorrent fleecing that DLC has become...

Last edited:

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005

I kinda viewed the entire third game as the ending to the series, and throughout the game there are many parts that can play out quite differently, depending on the decisions that were made earlier on in the series. So the choices you made earlier are by no means without meaning or consequence.

Also, the number of choices you get at the very end depends on how well you "performed"...not everyone gets three choices. I can see how this was not enough for other people though, but it really didn't bother me at all. You wanna see a really bad ending? Beat Far Cry 2! :p One of my favorite games this generation, but that finale was ridiculous!

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
[/COLOR]

I still wanna play it ill prob wait until it is going £10 or something but I keep hearing Spec Ops is really good.

@ Keenupie - I'm getting fed up about hearing the delays on Bioshock the newest delay is due to multiplayer problems?. Why do they have to put multiplayer in nearly every game? FC3 didn't need it and ME3 had no need for it. I miss the days when single player games were just that single player, when they add multiplayer to games that should be Single player only they waste a lot of time that could have been put to better use in the main game.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Sooo... you're complaining that a 5 year old game isn't as good as/better than a 2 year game or a 9 month old game?

Nope.

I am complaining that a current gen game that received top ratings and fan response, and that I have been waiting to get a chance to play for years, has horrible controls and load times to the point where it frustrates me.

Obviously your mileage may vary, but this is a big disappointment to me, which I believe this thread is about.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Nope.

I am complaining that a current gen game that received top ratings and fan response, and that I have been waiting to get a chance to play for years, has horrible controls and load times to the point where it frustrates me.

Obviously your mileage may vary, but this is a big disappointment to me, which I believe this thread is about.

It was released in 2007, ME2 in 2010, and ME3 in 2012, so of course it's not going to be as polished as its sequels. It was intended to be a sequel to Knights of the Old Republic for the original XBox, but it got nixed by Lucas because of the "player has to be a Jedi" rule. They improved upon the system in ME2, then again in ME3.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
It was released in 2007, ME2 in 2010, and ME3 in 2012, so of course it's not going to be as polished as its sequels. It was intended to be a sequel to Knights of the Old Republic for the original XBox, but it got nixed by Lucas because of the "player has to be a Jedi" rule. They improved upon the system in ME2, then again in ME3.

I don't quite see what your are arguing here. Am I not allowed to be disappointed by the game's sloppy controls and load times because it came out in 2007? :confused:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I kinda viewed the entire third game as the ending to the series, and throughout the game there are many parts that can play out quite differently, depending on the decisions that were made earlier on in the series. So the choices you made earlier are by no means without meaning or consequence.
!

I agree for the most part, and I loved the game overall.. i would have happily have settled for all my decisions leading to one outcome, without having to know I can choose this,that or the other door by some random alien backward memory omnipresence that had clearly been grafted into the game to deliver this awkward door mechanic at the end.

I saw the game as a whole as an end, so really this one poorly chosen and implimented game mechanic at the end was a disappointment. (Not the game overall but just this game mechanical device).

I ended up watching all three endings and if truth be told they weren't that 'radically' different, so I'd have been happy if the game had just the nerve to present me with just one ending based on my playthrough as a whole, and drop the whole choose a door mechanic.

Dishonored does it better by judging your actions on your playthrough as a whole to give you 1 of various endings.

----------

First forum highlight of 2013...although, you could have (arguably) given it better emphasis by saying it was to prevent "wee Wii accidents," but that might have been a bit over-the-top ;)

I didn't want to over do the Wii.... ;)

----------

I don't quite see what your are arguing here. Am I not allowed to be disappointed by the game's sloppy controls and load times because it came out in 2007? :confused:

If they were going to go the effort of porting a game, then I agree they could have tightened up the controls and sorted out the loading times especially as this is now running from HDD and not disc.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Lack of Vita games, and the ones that could have been promising ended up being rubbish or mediocre.

With regard to Liberation, can anyone who has played it recommend that I complete it, I found it a bit slow to get interesting and have not touched it for over a month. Should I feel compelled to complete it?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Lack of Vita games, and the ones that could have been promising ended up being rubbish or mediocre.

With regard to Liberation, can anyone who has played it recommend that I complete it, I found it a bit slow to get interesting and have not touched it for over a month. Should I feel compelled to complete it?

I gave up.... It's as boring as hell and those 'lady missions' were like something out of Little Britain (I'm a lady sketch..)

1781-ImaladylittleBritain.jpg

Just an awfully dull game and they really could have dialled down the bloom effect, it was annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.