Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Instead of complaining about ipad 5 and ipad mini 2 , I figured I'd ask another question not asked in a while.

Is anyone having an issue with only having a 16 or 32Gb iPad? With Retina iPads having just a handful of games starts to significantly take up storage. Since the ipad is becoming a computer replacement for a lot of people, having pictures and games and music leaves little storage left. File sizes are not what they were a couple years ago before retina displays.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I think it will eventually come.

Perhaps Apple will release an 128GB model (Surface with W8 Pro has 128GB option).

I would like to see able ditch the 16GB on the iPad

32 - $499
64 - $599
128 - $699

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I think it will eventually come.

Perhaps Apple will release an 128GB model (Surface with W8 Pro has 128GB option).

I would like to see able ditch the 16GB on the iPad

32 - $499
64 - $599
128 - $699

16 - $399 current model to replace the iPad 2.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
Actually I'm treading the other direction. I've always bought 64g iPhones and iPads but I'm going smaller. I find there are many apps that I have and don't use so I'm not loading them on the mini which is a 32g. I'm not a gamer. I use the mini for Skype/ip calls, monitoring my video cameras, surfing, keeping up with FB and I monitor websites I own. The 32g is more than enough and my next phone may be a 16. My 64g devices did have about 4000 songs that I have since moved to the cloud and to an iPod touch.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Is anyone having an issue with only having a 16 or 32Gb iPad?

I am sure you're aware that 64GB iPads do exist, so your question should have been "is 64GB not enough?"

Anyway, I'd venture a guess that 98% of the people don't need more than 64GB of local storage. With LTE and cloud storage (and no, not iCloud) readily available - I feel very little need to store every bit of data I have on my iPad.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
I use my laptop at least once a day, I don't need everything on my iPad or phone at all times. 16gb does me perfectly fine

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
I'm starting to wish for a 128 gig model too. Now that my iPad is getting more useful, thanks to some very nice photo editing apps, I find myself wanting more space for the photos I take with my iPhone 4S or my point-n-shoot camera. This is for when I'm on camping trips, for example, when I'm out in BFE away from power and 'net service. The iPad's battery life is vastly superior to that of my 11" MacBook Air, so it makes good sense to use it whenever possible.

In addition, I like to keep a bunch of downloaded topo maps on my iPad (and in my phone), so I tend to get the LTE/3G/4G models even though I never subscribe to the service -- it has the GPS that the WiFi models don't have.

I've been thinking that once the Mini is Retina, I would get one of those in its highest capacity, with LTE, to take on trips since it's so much smaller. Then have a regular iPad without LTE for home use, as its screen is easier to read. I dunno... just thinking out loud.

Anyway.. yes, I hope they offer 128 gig in the near future, but keep the prices down of course. :)

Rob

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
128GB memory is expensive which is likely the reason why Apple hasn't offered it yet.

Just look at the 128GB Surface with Windows 8 Pro - it's going to be $999.

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
The higher profit that Apple has about its devices is all about the size of the hdd...

And it's a lot $100 for only 16 more GB and $200 for 48 more GB of the starting size, I hope that they will cut the 16GB version starting with 32GB at the same price, 64 and 128 in the next generation of iPads...

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I'm starting to wish for a 128 gig model too. Now that my iPad is getting more useful, thanks to some very nice photo editing apps, I find myself wanting more space for the photos I take with my iPhone 4S or my point-n-shoot camera. This is for when I'm on camping trips, for example, when I'm out in BFE away from power and 'net service. The iPad's battery life is vastly superior to that of my 11" MacBook Air, so it makes good sense to use it whenever possible.

In addition, I like to keep a bunch of downloaded topo maps on my iPad (and in my phone), so I tend to get the LTE/3G/4G models even though I never subscribe to the service -- it has the GPS that the WiFi models don't have.

I've been thinking that once the Mini is Retina, I would get one of those in its highest capacity, with LTE, to take on trips since it's so much smaller. Then have a regular iPad without LTE for home use, as its screen is easier to read. I dunno... just thinking out loud.

Anyway.. yes, I hope they offer 128 gig in the near future, but keep the prices down of course. :)

Rob

YES! This is exactly what I'm talking about. Im a graphic designer and do alot of personal photography. Editing on the iPad 4 is a dream and very fluid with the speed and apps. Not to mention photo stream.

Im aware there is a 64 gig model but I guess im just seeing that thumb drives are dirt cheap and 128 GB cant possible cut into apples margins that badly.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
If you carefully choose apps for your device, 32GB can considered as plenty.

Unless you are movie watcher so that wouldn't be enough. IMO, tablet still can't be laptop replacement. It put netbook out of business, yes but not actual computer because some play hardcore games on their destop and laptop still. Also, laptop these days are so cheap. With 500GB harddisk, you can get cheaper than 16GB ipad mini.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
128 seems a little unreasonable -- I don't think there would be enough demand in the market for Apple to consider rolling 128 gig models out anytime soon. You never know, though.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I got a 64 gb ipad and found that a 16 gb model woul have sufficed. Only games and movies need that much space. Most of the utilitarian apps I installed were only like a few mb each.

Personally don't see myself ever needing one.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Actually I'm treading the other direction. I've always bought 64g iPhones and iPads but I'm going smaller. I find there are many apps that I have and don't use so I'm not loading them on the mini which is a 32g. I'm not a gamer. I use the mini for Skype/ip calls, monitoring my video cameras, surfing, keeping up with FB and I monitor websites I own. The 32g is more than enough and my next phone may be a 16. My 64g devices did have about 4000 songs that I have since moved to the cloud and to an iPod touch.

As per above, i've only ever had 16GB devices (work purchased) and for the uses I use them for it is plenty.

My iPad for example has over 8GB of free space on it. I don't use it for games, it is used as a browser, VDI client, email program and a few other uses.

If you don't use an iPad or iPhone as a photo/music/video store or gaming platform, 16GB is HEAPS.

But yes. 128GB will come when the price of flash comes down.

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
I have the 16 GB iPad mini and I only have 1 GB left. Still, I'm making do with only have a couple of episodes of my fav TV show on it, and making sure to remove it when finished watching it. What's really taking up most of my space is the apps and games. Games are a blast to play on the mini since the size is perfect for hand held gaming (seriously now, the iPad 4 size and heavy weight is not ergo for extended gameplaying). When the next iPad mini comes out, if it has the A6x chip and is retina, I'll definitely opt for the 64 GB version. I only bought the 16GB version because I needed a tablet now and didn't really like the Nexus 7 or the regular iPad size and also because I wanted to see if the form factor was to my liking . . . and I found that I love it!

ItsWelshy

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
I have a 64GB iPhone 5 and a 64GB iPad Mini.

iPhone is maxed out and iPad has about 9GB left.

I have itunes match, but I prefer to have my whole music library on my phone.

I'd love a 128GB iPad and iPhone.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If you carefully choose apps for your device, 32GB can considered as plenty...

Heck if you are super careful, 16gb is enough. I just don't want to have to manage my media like that. I carry a lot of photos and a lot of music locally. I don't have access to wifi for streaming music at work, no iTunes Match either, so the cost of additional data to stream music while at work is more than the extra storage space.

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
128gb can't come soon enough for me. My 64gb iPhone and iPad are both maxed out - mostly with games.

I'd love to put more films on my iPad and music on my iPhone.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I'd love a 128GB iPad. I just bought an HD movie in iTunes that was over 5 gigs all by itself--so along with my music and other movies I've started to have to manage the content on my iPad more closely.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Personally, I would prefer a SD slot and a way to manage files. Or perhaps better, a "Stratous" device that could handle SD cards in a personal, local cloud server.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
I would buy it - files are getting bigger and bigger. When I got the first iPad I really didn't need the 64 GB but on my iPad 3 I'm starting to run out of breathing room

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.