Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:41 AM   #1
steve19800
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
When to replace or repair?

Hello guys,

Just a quick question.
How many times Apple will replacing your iPhone? And when they decide to replace or repair? AFAIK, mostly they replace your iPhone instead of repair it. Thanks.
steve19800 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:44 AM   #2
Jordan921
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area
They usually replace instead of repair when you're at the apple store.
Jordan921 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:46 AM   #3
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve19800 View Post
Hello guys,

Just a quick question.
How many times Apple will replacing your iPhone? And when they decide to replace or repair? AFAIK, mostly they replace your iPhone instead of repair it. Thanks.
Be more specific. How many times under applecare+? Twice within the warranty period for accidental damage. For other problems, I assume as many times as needed. For most things, yes, it will probably just be a replacement. I don't know what all they can actually repair in store. But if they were to do a repair, they probably have the same rules as most businesses. If you send it in for repair for the same thing more than 3 times, they'll just replace it.

If you're asking about accidental damage outside of warranty, then they'll replace it as many times as you want to pay for it.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:53 AM   #4
alphaod
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
They always replace it.
__________________
Mac Pro | iMac | Mac mini | MacBook Pro | MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod
alphaod is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:03 AM   #5
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040
 
AlphaDogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Boulder, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
They always replace it.
Except for a cracked iPhone 4/4S back. They charge $30 to replace the back.
__________________
15" 2.66GHz C2D uMBP | 13" 2.4GHz i5 MBP 500GB | '07 MacBook
iPhone 6 64GB | iPhone 5 32GB | iPhone 8GB
אני רוצה לעשות עליה לישראל
AlphaDogg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:53 AM   #6
steve19800
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Be more specific. How many times under applecare+? Twice within the warranty period for accidental damage. For other problems, I assume as many times as needed. For most things, yes, it will probably just be a replacement. I don't know what all they can actually repair in store. But if they were to do a repair, they probably have the same rules as most businesses. If you send it in for repair for the same thing more than 3 times, they'll just replace it.

If you're asking about accidental damage outside of warranty, then they'll replace it as many times as you want to pay for it.
Well, how many times under standard one year limited warranty, no Apple extended warranty.

They will probably repair the product such as mac or something like that? As they are more expensive product I assume?

----------

Then if you are responsible for any additional cost under your product's warranty, what would that be? Cause AFAIK you don't have to pay anything if the product is faulty.
steve19800 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:51 AM   #7
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Repair/replace depends on the issue and prior attempts to rectify the matter. There's no fixed rule in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve19800 View Post
Then if you are responsible for any additional cost under your product's warranty, what would that be? Cause AFAIK you don't have to pay anything if the product is faulty.
Warranty covers defects. It does not cover any other damage.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:27 PM   #8
stonyboys
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
They replace it for you unlimitedly during the 1 year warranty as long as the problems you're getting are legitimate apple issues and not your fault.
stonyboys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:29 PM   #9
steve19800
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
Repair/replace depends on the issue and prior attempts to rectify the matter. There's no fixed rule in this regard.


Warranty covers defects. It does not cover any other damage.
Alright. So they will perform the repair provided that you have presented satisfactory proof of the productʼs eligibility for such repairs. But at the same time you will be responsible for any additional charges applicable under your product's warranty.

You nder what is the additional charges would be?
I know if it is your fault then Apple won't cover anything at all but what is the additional cost would be if the product is defect?
steve19800 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:39 PM   #10
Chris092881
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
You know what's kind of interesting to me, and I'm really not sure how relevant this analogy is, but here goes. You buy a brand new iPhone 5 under contract through your wireless carrier, it either arrives broken or has multiple cosmetic defects presumably caused during the manufacturing process, you return the device to Apple, whom then in turn provide you with a white-box refurbished phone. If I buy a $1,500 flat screen TV from Best Buy and four days after purchase it conks out or has some sort of manufacturing problem, I take it back to Best Buy and once verified as defective, I receive a BRAND NEW TV. That's quite a concept huh? All of us that didn't get the iPhone 5 at launch, and are now having issues are being given either repaired and/or refurbished phones back in return. Had we bought on launch day there would have been no refurbs available, so we would have been given a new device. Seems fair to me. Note the sarcasm?
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:18 PM   #11
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000
 
lelisa13p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris092881 View Post
You know what's kind of interesting to me, and I'm really not sure how relevant this analogy is, but here goes. You buy a brand new iPhone 5 under contract through your wireless carrier, it either arrives broken or has multiple cosmetic defects presumably caused during the manufacturing process, you return the device to Apple, whom then in turn provide you with a white-box refurbished phone. If I buy a $1,500 flat screen TV from Best Buy and four days after purchase it conks out or has some sort of manufacturing problem, I take it back to Best Buy and once verified as defective, I receive a BRAND NEW TV. That's quite a concept huh? All of us that didn't get the iPhone 5 at launch, and are now having issues are being given either repaired and/or refurbished phones back in return. Had we bought on launch day there would have been no refurbs available, so we would have been given a new device. Seems fair to me. Note the sarcasm?
Here's another analogy. Your original defective iPhone managed to slip thru QC for whatever reason. Your refurb, by definition, has been inspected and tested fairly extensively before being released again into the wild. Ergo, it's not unreasonable to think that your refurb has less chance of problems going forward by virtue of more inspections.

Everyone expects new items to be perfect but the fact is that manufacturing on a grand scale just doesn't guarantee the truth of that actual experience anymore. Microwave ovens, leaf blowers, vacuum cleaners, barbecue grills, and so on, all have these sorts of glitches. We live in amazing & imperfect times.
lelisa13p is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:27 PM   #12
Chris092881
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
Here's another analogy. Your original defective iPhone managed to slip thru QC for whatever reason. Your refurb, by definition, has been inspected and tested fairly extensively before being released again into the wild. Ergo, it's not unreasonable to think that your refurb has less chance of problems going forward by virtue of more inspections.

Everyone expects new items to be perfect but the fact is that manufacturing on a grand scale just doesn't guarantee the truth of that actual experience anymore. Microwave ovens, leaf blowers, vacuum cleaners, barbecue grills, and so on, all have these sorts of glitches. We live in amazing & imperfect times.
Okay? So what's your point versus my original statement? That we live in imperfect times?
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:29 PM   #13
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000
 
lelisa13p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris092881 View Post
Okay? So what's your point versus my original statement? That we live in imperfect times?
In my statement the sarcasm is lacking. It serves no one to be bitter; we all are subject to these circumstances sooner or later.

Also to point out that refurb is not necessarily a dirty word.
lelisa13p is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:36 PM   #14
Chris092881
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
Also to point out that refurb is not necessarily a dirty word.
Okay, I'll bite. I agree sooner or later we all run into issues in one form or another, but is that supposed to give me some kind of solace? It doesn't. Refurb isn't a dirty word, you're right. My last refurb showed up with brown upper antenna seams, a gash along the upper left hand side of the device that was pure silver, and also had scratches on the anodized back of the device. As funny as it sounds, and I'm laughing as I type this, the earpiece was filled with white lint. You could tell it had some use to it. Would you accept that?
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:41 PM   #15
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000
 
lelisa13p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
I would not. I would also go into an Apple store ASAP and return it, making certain that I inspect the next replacement while in the store, in the presence of an Apple employee. I have the luxury of living within 6 miles of 3 Apple stores so perhaps my situation is different. But no, I wouldn't accept that item and I think the circumstances that you describe are horrible.
lelisa13p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:46 PM   #16
Chris092881
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
I would not. I would also go into an Apple store ASAP and return it, making certain that I inspect the next replacement while in the store, in the presence of an Apple employee. I have the luxury of living within 6 miles of 3 Apple stores so perhaps my situation is different. But no, I wouldn't accept that item and I think the circumstances that you describe are horrible.
At least you're honest. I live maybe 15 miles from the nearest Apple Store, and I went in right after I received my first 5 with a broken auto-focus. That device came with a deep vertical gouge, not a scratch, behind the lock button. As well as a scratch to the left of the front facing camera underneath the glass screen. When I mentioned that to the Genius inspecting my phone he just shrugged his shoulders as if it was no big deal. I'm done with the Apple Store.
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:53 PM   #17
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000
 
lelisa13p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
I am an honest person.

I would not give up so easily. Go again, taking the rubbish replacement and state your case to another employee, the Manager if you must. Since you say that the item looks like it was a wreck in the first place you should make sure to take your replacement receipt with you. Hopefully you haven't let too many days pass; if the flaws/damages were there previously, you don't want to be blamed for them.

Did your replacement come by delivery? I'd have been at the Apple store before they'd had time to drink their morning coffee.
lelisa13p is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:57 PM   #18
Chris092881
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
I am an honest person.

I would not give up so easily. Go again, taking the rubbish replacement and state your case to another employee, the Manager if you must. Since you say that the item looks like it was a wreck in the first place you should make sure to take your replacement receipt with you. Hopefully you haven't let too many days pass; if the flaws/damages were there previously, you don't want to be blamed for them.

Did your replacement come by delivery? I'd have been at the Apple store before they'd had time to drink their morning coffee.
Came via FedEx. I called AppleCare as soon as I got home at 7:30PM. I was instructed by a Senior Advisor to send the phone back using the label the following day, which I did.
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:06 PM   #19
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000
 
lelisa13p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
So you're rid of the shoddy item? Is all well now?
lelisa13p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:11 PM   #20
Chris092881
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
So you're rid of the shoddy item? Is all well now?
No. The shoddy replacement was sent to replace the shoddy 5 I have now.
Chris092881 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:13 PM   #21
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000
 
lelisa13p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
I say again: Get thee to an Apple store. If the item is befouled, make another exchange.

And be oh, so nice while you're there.
lelisa13p is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:18 PM   #22
Chris092881
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
I say again: Get thee to an Apple store. If the item is befouled, make another exchange.
Point taken. She (the Senior Advisor I'm dealing with) is calling me back tomorrow to discuss the situation further. I will hear her out even though I had previously sworn her off as "dead to me". I'm shooting for a brand new device straight from China as another poster here mentioned he managed to receive after a couple failed white-box replacements. Don't get me wrong, I would take a white-box replacement if it was in good shape, but thus far all have had issues. I'm gonna start climbing the corporate ladder next.
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:45 PM   #23
eelw
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris092881 View Post
You know what's kind of interesting to me, and I'm really not sure how relevant this analogy is, but here goes. You buy a brand new iPhone 5 under contract through your wireless carrier, it either arrives broken or has multiple cosmetic defects presumably caused during the manufacturing process, you return the device to Apple, whom then in turn provide you with a white-box refurbished phone. If I buy a $1,500 flat screen TV from Best Buy and four days after purchase it conks out or has some sort of manufacturing problem, I take it back to Best Buy and once verified as defective, I receive a BRAND NEW TV. That's quite a concept huh? All of us that didn't get the iPhone 5 at launch, and are now having issues are being given either repaired and/or refurbished phones back in return. Had we bought on launch day there would have been no refurbs available, so we would have been given a new device. Seems fair to me. Note the sarcasm?
Well there's the difference, the place of purchase. If you had purchased under contract the phone from Apple, you could have returned the product and then repurchase a new in box unit. Not Apple's fault that your provider doesn't accept returns without restocking fees.
eelw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:31 PM   #24
Chris092881
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelw View Post
Well there's the difference, the place of purchase. If you had purchased under contract the phone from Apple, you could have returned the product and then repurchase a new in box unit. Not Apple's fault that your provider doesn't accept returns without restocking fees.
I'm not complaining about a $35 restocking fee from Verizon. I'm talking about Apple doling out used phones to people in exchange for brand new devices that were delivered defective. To my knowledge, Apple are the only ones that ship their brand new phones sealed in plastic. My Razr and S3 came from VZW without plastic. You're missing my point. Okay, if I buy it from Apple directly then I can return it within 30 days for a full refund. Understood. But how does that fact change my general observation regarding Apple exchanging 2, 3, 4 day old devices for refurbs? I disagree with that, as I'm sure many others do as well.
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:59 PM   #25
SchuettS
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris092881 View Post
You know what's kind of interesting to me, and I'm really not sure how relevant this analogy is, but here goes. You buy a brand new iPhone 5 under contract through your wireless carrier, it either arrives broken or has multiple cosmetic defects presumably caused during the manufacturing process, you return the device to Apple, whom then in turn provide you with a white-box refurbished phone. If I buy a $1,500 flat screen TV from Best Buy and four days after purchase it conks out or has some sort of manufacturing problem, I take it back to Best Buy and once verified as defective, I receive a BRAND NEW TV. That's quite a concept huh? All of us that didn't get the iPhone 5 at launch, and are now having issues are being given either repaired and/or refurbished phones back in return. Had we bought on launch day there would have been no refurbs available, so we would have been given a new device. Seems fair to me. Note the sarcasm?
I bought my wife an iphone 5 for Xmas using my upgrade that came flawed w something wedged between the screen and the case. I was told by the verizon reseller that I couldn't exchange it and it was up to apple to exchange it for me. I told him he could just have the phone back. He tells me there is a $75 restocking fee for iPhones, $35 for anything other phone. Needless to say I left there pissed and will never enter that store again. Apple exchanged the unactivated flawed brand new phone for a refurb. Wasn't happy getting a refurb but its looks like a new phone tho.
SchuettS is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Repair or replace iPhone 5? smirk iPhone 6 Apr 24, 2014 10:14 PM
Did they repair or replace? retinafan MacBook Pro 17 Oct 11, 2013 11:26 AM
Average cost to replace/repair Logic board? Any great online shops that can repair it Pinkstiletto66 MacBook Pro 1 Sep 23, 2013 01:20 PM
Repair or replace 27" iMac? fender51 iMac 10 Mar 3, 2013 03:10 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC