Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigMAC28

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2012
Chicago
The rep is correct, do not open the box, activate it on your unlimited line using activate/switch option put in the #'s it asks from the outside of the iPhone box or your receipt in the box. Just be sure when it gets to the plan that its checked unlimited, mine said that by default. You do not need to activate it on the dumb phone line you purchased the iPhone on.

Even it you do activate it on your dumb phone line it will work but its just more of a hassle to do it that way. Activating it on your unlimited line works and it will not affect your dumb phone line.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.Even though the guy above says the exact opposite. lol.

roderick

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
The rep is correct, do not open the box, activate it on your unlimited line using activate/switch option put in the #'s it asks from the outside of the iPhone box or your receipt in the box. Just be sure when it gets to the plan that its checked unlimited, mine said that by default. You do not need to activate it on the dumb phone line you purchased the iPhone on.

Even it you do activate it on your dumb phone line it will work but its just more of a hassle to do it that way. Activating it on your unlimited line works and it will not affect your dumb phone line.

After you do this can you just cancel the dumb phone line without any penalty?

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
After you do this can you just cancel the dumb phone line without any penalty?

If you activate on your unlimited line there is no need to cancel the 2GB plan on the dumb phone line. Just leave the dumb phone line alone. Since u are not activating it on the dumb phone there is nothing to cancel. The dumb phone will remain as it was.

Of course if u do activate it under the dumb phone line u will then need to remove it and then remove the Dataplan making it go back to a dumb phone removing the 2 GB plan then u will have to wait 24 hrs or it could be sooner before u can activate it again under your unlimited line. This is because the SIM card needs to be reset. Like I said it will work both ways.

Just remember when u get the iPhone 5 (the sim is not tied to any line until you activate it) activate online under your unlimited line. There is no need to do anything to the dumb phone line. After your done you can even check and the dumb phone line will remain as it always was. I did this and have been thru several statement cycles and all is good, kept unlimited and dumb phone stayed the same.

bigMAC28

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2012
Chicago
Also wondering the question everyone is wondering but my situation is a bit different since I'm buying in-store. If I'm buying the 5 in-store on a different line that's on our family plan to avoid losing my UDP on my line, can they activate the 5 on my phone without having to activate it on the "dummy" line first?

According to the guy above, you dont have to. I went into the Verizon store and the manager cut me off and wouldnt let me even try to do this. Although the people at the verizon store by my place have always been rude. So good luck!

ForceMan

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to reply.Even though the guy above says the exact opposite. lol.

The only way to do the above is to do the activation through a verizon rep. Now of course some will and some will not do it for you. So heres my recommendations:

1) order phone on line you don't mind losing unlimited (most people thats the dummy line)
2) activate it on this line
3) take it off the line and put the old phone (or dummy) back on
4) now here is where it gets tricky... you have 2 options
4a) wait till the next day for the sim card to age and then put it on your unlimited line
4b) go to an apple store and get a new nano sim in which case you can activate your phone right away on the unlimited line

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
I will have an upgrade avail next month, and glad I saw this!

Whats everyones opinion... is this easiser to do this loop hole with verizon on the phone or in the Verizon store. Would I have to wait a day to swap everything or can I do this all at once?Image

Easiest route is to buy online, then when you receive the phone call VZW to have them activate on proper line.

ForceMan

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
Easiest route is to buy online, then when you receive the phone call VZW to have them activate on proper line.

I agree. Store people have been fed the company line and some will tell you this isn't even possible. If you order online you avoid all that.

bigMAC28

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2012
Chicago
I agree. Store people have been fed the company line and some will tell you this isn't even possible. If you order online you avoid all that.

I just did all of mine online. I bought the phone on the dumb line and activated it on the Unlimited line. Simple as that. I think the confusion as to why you need to call in is because on launch day the website was unreliable. Now it shouldn't be a problem.

bsbuggs

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Awesome thread guys... I have a great scenario where I have 4 unlimited lines all with upgrades... And I have a dumb line... So I just ordered an iphone 5. After transferring one of the upgrades to the dumb line.. The one question I did not see answered..... Although I read over a 1000 posts.... Is this.. When the process is done the upgrade donor line - - - unlimited line will now have extended contract correct

And from what I have read once the phones arrives I just call Verizon and have the tech do the transfer....

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This works out fairly well if you are already on a plan with multiple lines, one of which is with a regular feature phone and is eligible to upgrade. Furthermore, whoever is using that line should be willing to stay with a feature phone that they already have. Then all this could be done and nothing is really lost.

Beyond that, if you are already on a family plan you can add a new line and order the phone there, switch it to an unlimited line, and simply put a feature phone on the new line only paying $10/month. However, you are basically paying $240 for that over the 2-year contract that would be on that line. So, it's the discounted contract cost of the phone plus $240 that you should be comparing in terms of what makes more sense to keep unlimited data or not (depending on how much you really need/want it).

Beyond those two options, there's really not much of a way to do this (short of some anomaly that might surface here or there occasionally).

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
sorry if this has been asked before but I am just making sure as I head that verizon is cracking down on this but I am making sure its not the case.

I have 3 lines on my account my first line is a smart phone with unlimited data and my other 2 lines are non smart phones just regular cell phones.

Can I upgrade one of my 2 lines to a smart phone and then reactivate the non smart phone back on the line I used to upgrade and remove the data plan off that line and then activate the iPhone on the smart phone line that has the unlimted data.

Thanks in advane just making sure verizon still allows this as I head form a manager at radio shack and a verizon store sales rep that they are craking down on this.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
sorry if this has been asked before but I am just making sure as I head that verizon is cracking down on this but I am making sure its not the case.

I have 3 lines on my account my first line is a smart phone with unlimited data and my other 2 lines are non smart phones just regular cell phones.

Can I upgrade one of my 2 lines to a smart phone and then reactivate the non smart phone back on the line I used to upgrade and remove the data plan off that line and then activate the iPhone on the smart phone line that has the unlimted data.

Thanks in advane just making sure verizon still allows this as I head form a manager at radio shack and a verizon store sales rep that they are craking down on this.
There's really not much that VZW can crack down on--all of this is reasonable and allowed since you can certainly change phones on any of your lines and add/remove appropriate data features that might be necessary for them (if/as needed).

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
There's really not much that VZW can crack down on--all of this is reasonable and allowed since you can certainly change phones on any of your lines and add/remove appropriate data features that might be necessary for them (if/as needed).

Ok that excellent I was just worried that they were cracking down and that I would not be able to do it as I have to wait till February as that is when my upgrade eligibility date is. But from what the radio shack manager which I take with a grain of salt is that their Verizon reps is telling them not to do it too much as they prefer them to have them loose the unlimited data. Also a fyi if anyone is waiting for their early edibility date so that they can get the discounted price and not pay the full price if you go 7 days before that date at most 3rd party resellers they will sell you the phone as they can move the date 7 days in advance but not any earlier.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ok that excellent I was just worried that they were cracking down and that I would not be able to do it as I have to wait till February as that is when my upgrade eligibility date is. But from what the radio shack manager which I take with a grain of salt is that their Verizon reps is telling them not to do it too much as they prefer them to have them loose the unlimited data. Also a fyi if anyone is waiting for their early edibility date so that they can get the discounted price and not pay the full price if you go 7 days before that date at most 3rd party resellers they will sell you the phone as they can move the date 7 days in advance but not any earlier.
Yeah, the 7 day mark for moving upgrades seems to be a real thing--had that done recently as well.

ForceMan

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
Has anyone tried the moving upgrades around from a line you want to keep unlimited with to the dummy line at a non-verizon corporate outlet?

Courtney Love

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
I did this deal, I got the 4S from Best Buy because they had it for 99 bux with 100 in rewards coupons, so it was basically free. Upgraded a family line, switched my line to have this iphone instead of the samsung and kept my unlimited data.

I am new to iphones in general, and I've found the volume to be low. Like, I have to have it cranked to the max, whereas on my old Samsung Fascinate, I usually had the volume level in the middle, especially if speaking to my mom, who speaks loudly. Now she sounds normal, and everyone else is too low. I went to the apple store, and first the tech said he could hear that it was low, then he went in the back, got another 4S, and they sounded identical, and he claimed not to have admitted that it sounded low, and suggested that I cup my hand around the speaker to make it a little louder, which I found laughable. So, based on two phones, it seems the 4S's natural volume is too low.

Has anyone else had this issue? Most people that I know with Iphones say that it's loud, but while we were in the crowded Apple store, you could barely hear the phone over the people unless you held the speaker to your ear. This is ridiculous to me, so I guess I'm returning the phone...

Just wanted to know if anyone else had these problems. Obviously the volume was completely maxed out, this isn't a case where some hidden level was low, or anything like plastic was covering the speaker...

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Has anyone tried the moving upgrades around from a line you want to keep unlimited with to the dummy line at a non-verizon corporate outlet?

I belive that will make you loose your unlimited data even thought you are transfering the upgrade to to the dummy line you are extending the contract on the line with unlimted data.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

I tried to do that for the iPhone 5, but they wouldn't allow it. If it was ANY other phone it wouldn't have been a problem but since it was an iPhone, I had to actually wait for my upgrade date last November.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
I belive that will make you loose your unlimited data even thought you are transfering the upgrade to to the dummy line you are extending the contract on the line with unlimted data.

Read through the thread...your response is 100% wrong. I've done exactly what you say can't be done and so have others in this thread.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Read through the thread...your response is 100% wrong. I've done exactly what you say can't be done and so have others in this thread.

well I was told that by the person at radio shack but I was only going off of what I want told. I know that they probally don't know but I did not get to try it my self yet on my account.

----------

I tried to do that for the iPhone 5, but they wouldn't allow it. If it was ANY other phone it wouldn't have been a problem but since it was an iPhone, I had to actually wait for my upgrade date last November.

yes if you are trying to move the date when you are months away that is the case but if its only one week away then they can move the date I have been told this by a couple of verizon reselllers but I will find out next month when I am only a week away from the date and post what happens.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
well I was told that by the person at radio shack but I was only going off of what I want told. I know that they probally don't know but I did not get to try it my self yet on my account.

----------

yes if you are trying to move the date when you are months away that is the case but if its only one week away then they can move the date I have been told this by a couple of verizon reselllers but I will find out next month when I am only a week away from the date and post what happens.

I was 7 days away this was in 2012 when I had my upgrade.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
I was 7 days away this was in 2012 when I had my upgrade.

really well I will have to see next month I guess. I asked a best buy mobile and they said they can try but did not give a confirmation but the guys at radio shack and costco said that they can move the date 7 days earlier but I am not taking their word what so ever. I will try and see if its a no I will go back 7 days latter and do the upgrade.

bsbuggs

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Ok just received my iphone5 today after using a transfer of an upgrade from an unlimited line to a dumb line (the dumb line was NOT upgrade eligible). Activated the iphone and still have unlimited on the donor upgrade line....all goos sooo far....

mdavej

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2011
If you activate on your unlimited line there is no need to cancel the 2GB plan on the dumb phone line. Just leave the dumb phone line alone. Since u are not activating it on the dumb phone there is nothing to cancel. The dumb phone will remain as it was.

Of course if u do activate it under the dumb phone line u will then need to remove it and then remove the Dataplan making it go back to a dumb phone removing the 2 GB plan then u will have to wait 24 hrs or it could be sooner before u can activate it again under your unlimited line. This is because the SIM card needs to be reset. Like I said it will work both ways.

Just remember when u get the iPhone 5 (the sim is not tied to any line until you activate it) activate online under your unlimited line. There is no need to do anything to the dumb phone line. After your done you can even check and the dumb phone line will remain as it always was. I did this and have been thru several statement cycles and all is good, kept unlimited and dumb phone stayed the same.
Quick question. I did this very thing, activating on the unlimited line and leaving dumb line alone. But now if I try to make any changes to the dumb phone line online, I can't because it says "Device needs to be activated". I've already activated the new phone on another line. Will this message go away eventually? I called Verizon and they said I should have first activated on the dumb line, remove then activate on the other line. Could I just re-activate the original dumb phone with *228?

Last edited:

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Quick question. I did this very thing, activating on the unlimited line and leaving dumb line alone. But now if I try to make any changes to the dumb phone line online, I can't because it says "Device needs to be activated". I've already activated the new phone on another line. Will this message go away eventually? I called Verizon and they said I should have first activated on the dumb line, remove then activate on the other line. Could I just re-activate the original dumb phone with *228?

I heard that it isn't a good idea to do *228 on the iPhone 5 because of the LTE network. Not sure why though, so I'd call them back and ask them about the *228 thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.