Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boatcapt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
We bought my daughter a touch for her birthday. My wife and I have our own iTunes accounts. Is it possible to put what media(movies, music, apps) on her touch from each account that we want at the same time?

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Yes, possible and easy. You just need to authorize each other's accounts. From which ever computer you sync the iPod, log out of the iTunes store and have the other user log in. Then, authorize the computer with the second account. Apple allows up to 5 auths per account.

boatcapt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
I tried doing it today and it says it will erase what movies is on the ipod now and replace with what is in my itunes library. I want to be able to include movies that is on my wifes account and my account at the same time on this iPod.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
I tried doing it today and it says it will erase what movies is on the ipod now and replace with what is in my itunes library. I want to be able to include movies that is on my wifes account and my account at the same time on this iPod.

You can't. To be half mocking here: that's not the Apple Way.

An iPod can only be synced to one library at a time, and Apple's DRM only allows iTMS movies to be played on a library signed onto that account. You're expected to be a good little consumer and buy a second copy the movie for yourself. :p

Although I'm not sure how this is effected if there's no DRM on a video file (like if you encode it from your own video discs). I guess it would depend on how the file is transferred to the iPod. If it's part of a library the "one library at a time" rule would come into effect. But if you could side-load it in some way then you could put it on the device at the same time as videos from other places as well.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Let's be clear. You can't sync the iPod with two accounts: true. But, you can share the purchased content (music, apps, etc) from two accounts on the iPod. Apple does not expect you to buy two copies of a movie. The iPod just needs to be authorized to play content from the other account. Then, drag the content from account #1 into account #2 (or use Home Sharing) and you can have it all. My wife and I do this all the time: I buy and app, copy to her computer, she syncs and it's on her iPhone (which is authorized on my account).

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
My wife and I do this all the time: I buy and app, copy to her computer, she syncs and it's on her iPhone (which is authorized on my account).

So you're syncing the iPhone with an account that it is authorized on, on a different computer. That makes the iPhone "yours", not your wife's, as far as syncing is concerned. You haven't explained how your wife keeps the content from her own separate iTunes account on the device and playable at the same time.

boatcapt wants to be able to mix content from two different iTunes accounts on one device.

Edit: Going from post number three on this thread he wants to combine music from his iTunes library with videos from hers. If these tracks are iTunes Plus or self-encoded, he would have to actually add them to his wife's music library, then they can be synched with iTMS-purchased video content.

Last edited:

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Sorry if I was unclear. I have a computer and an iPhone; so does my wife. We each have iTunes accounts. Both computers are authorized for both users. When I buy an app or song, I copy it to her computer (via Home Sharing) and she can use the song/app on her computer without repurchasing.

The OP should be able to get both account's "stuff" on the IPT in the same manner. As I said above, I realize that you cannot sync the IPT with both computers directly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.