Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:00 AM   #1
Cjshino
macrumors member

Is it possible to install windows 7 on a 64gb MBA?

also is it hard to get windows 7 in iso form and use the usb method to install it on a MBA?

can i buy windows 7 in iso form already?

Last edited by Cjshino; Jan 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM.
Cjshino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:46 PM   #2
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Possible yes, but of course you'll have to manage your storage very carefully to not run out of space. If you have not done it already, try using Monolingual to remove languages you don't use from OS X and save space.

You can download Windows 7 ISOs legally directly from Microsoft's servers. Links are here. You will of course need a valid serial number for activation, which you can get when you buy a boxed copy of Windows 7.
pgiguere1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 02:13 PM   #3
Cjshino
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
Possible yes, but of course you'll have to manage your storage very carefully to not run out of space. If you have not done it already, try using Monolingual to remove languages you don't use from OS X and save space.

You can download Windows 7 ISOs legally directly from Microsoft's servers. Links are here. You will of course need a valid serial number for activation, which you can get when you buy a boxed copy of Windows 7.
wow thanks a lot for the info. So basically with that link you gave me i can already download windows 7 but i just need the product key from a boxed version to activate it correct? Then I can transfer the iso from the link to my usb then start the bootcamp app on my mba since i dont need to extract the iso from the dvd from the boxed version i am going to get?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 02:46 PM   #4
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjshino View Post
wow thanks a lot for the info. So basically with that link you gave me i can already download windows 7 but i just need the product key from a boxed version to activate it correct? Then I can transfer the iso from the link to my usb then start the bootcamp app on my mba since i dont need to extract the iso from the dvd from the boxed version i am going to get?
Exactly. You don't need the Windows 7 DVD, just the serial number that comes with it. The Boot Camp Assistant will let you transfer the ISO to your thumb drive along with the latest MacBook Air drivers for Windows 7.

You will simply have to check all 3 checkboxes in this Boot Camp Assistant window:

Then it will ask you to locate the Windows 7 .ISO file, and then you're all set!
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:09 PM   #5
Cjshino
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
Exactly. You don't need the Windows 7 DVD, just the serial number that comes with it. The Boot Camp Assistant will let you transfer the ISO to your thumb drive along with the latest MacBook Air drivers for Windows 7.

You will simply have to check all 3 checkboxes in this Boot Camp Assistant window:
Then it will ask you to locate the Windows 7 .ISO file, and then you're all set!
i need about 5-10gb for windows so how much gb does windows take up? Since i have such limited space. I'll be using more on osx
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:24 PM   #6
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
i need about 5-10gb for windows so how much gb does windows take up? Since i have such limited space. I'll be using more on osx
Windows itself is around 6GB, but it depends on your settings.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:19 PM   #7
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Once you install all the updates, drivers, a couple of programs and factor in the pagefile and temporary files you'll eat up space very quickly. I wouldn't even attempt it with less than 32GB even then space will be very tight.

Just my Windows folder takes up 20GB. That doesn't include user or program folders.
velocityg4 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

If you shrink the Page File, than disable Hibernation and System Restore you can manage with 20GB for Windows (you'll have about 9GB free of the 20).

My Current Boot Camp (Windows 7) Partition:
Quote:
Quad5Ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac