Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Does anyone know where I can find the stock 4.2 or 4.2.1 ROM for the Nexus 4? I tried searching for it but it looks like Google may have taken it off.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Any reason why? Update coming soon?

Because it was a badly written release, filled with bugs would be my guess. I think the only reason Google put it out when they did was because of the Nex4 an Nex10 release dates. They should have shipped with 4.1.2, because 4.2 still isn't ready to this day.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
Because it was a badly written release, filled with bugs would be my guess. I think the only reason Google put it out when they did was because of the Nex4 an Nex10 release dates. They should have shipped with 4.1.2, because 4.2 still isn't ready to this day.

Actually, most of the articles regarding the issue think it's to disable LTE connectivity.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
What happened to CM10.1?

Had some trouble getting it to work at first. A few installation problems and freezes. Then when I finally got it to work, I realized I had accidentally deleted my stock ROM backup. So now I am just making sure I have an easy backup plan.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Had some trouble getting it to work at first. A few installation problems and freezes. Then when I finally got it to work, I realized I had accidentally deleted my stock ROM backup. So now I am just making sure I have an easy backup plan.

Oh good that's smart. You should check out AOKP. Just as stable but has more features. You can make a nandroid of CM10.1 just in case you wanna go back.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2025939

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Oh good that's smart. You should check out AOKP. Just as stable but has more features. You can make a nandroid of CM10.1 just in case you wanna go back.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2025939

What are some of the features it has that CM doesn't? And are there any features that CM has that AOKP doesn't? And I really like the expanded desktop feature on CM. Great when browsing on Chrome and playing games.

----------

And will CWM see a .tgz? Or will I need to convert the image in the link in the second post to a .zip? If so, what is the best way to do that?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
What are some of the features it has that CM doesn't? And are there any features that CM has that AOKP doesn't? And I really like the expanded desktop feature on CM. Great when browsing on Chrome and playing games.

AOKP has expanded desktop too. Things off the top of my head that are in CM but not AOKP are:
- no sound + vibrate toggle
- no toggles above the notifications, just the quick toggles but the quick toggles are more configurable
- not all keys on the keyboard have shortcuts just the numbers are shortcuts by pressing and holding

AOKP has:
- configurable nav bar which for me is a HUGE plus
- configurable boot animation
- configurable nab bar ring which is awesome too. It's how I turn my screen off without having to reach for the button.
Those are the major ones I can think of. You have nothing to lose by making a nandroid and trying it for yourself.

I think you can only use zip files with CWM. Why do you have a tgz file? I haven't seen any for the Nexus 4 yet.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I think you can only use zip files with CWM. Why do you have a tgz file? I haven't seen any for the Nexus 4 yet.

Well I clicked on the link in the second post. On there, you can download the images for 4.2 or 4.2.1. The problem is that when I download them, it downloads a .tgz and CWM won't recognize it.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
This is why i don't bother to install other rom than stock ones!

This is why you're missing out on extra features and even stabler phone + better battery life sometimes :p

Devs have incorporated Qualcomm fixes for the Nexus 4 kernel which was causing excessive drain while on data. Who knows when Google will incorporate that. Don't really know about the technical details so I can't explain it any further.

----------

Well I clicked on the link in the second post. On there, you can download the images for 4.2 or 4.2.1. The problem is that when I download them, it downloads a .tgz and CWM won't recognize it.

I haven't had to go back to stock yet but I have a nandroid if I ever choose to. I do however have this page bookmarked in case anything goes wrong. Check it out http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2010312

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
This is why you're missing out on extra features and even stabler/better battery life :p

Devs have incorporated Qualcomm fixes for the Nexus 4 kernel which was causing excessive drain while on data. Who knows when Google will incorporate that. Don't really know about the technical details so I can't explain it any further.

----------

I haven't had to go back to stock yet but I have a nandroid if I ever choose to. I do however have this page bookmarked in case anything goes wrong. Check it out http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2010312

No thanx rather have my freetime doing something else than looking to fix bugs for google! This is why my daily driver is an iphone and other os would be for my other numbers.

Funny how battery life/stabler should be there in the first place out of the box!

Last edited:

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

tgz files are used for Titanium Backup, and I think Odin recognizes them. CWM can only use zip files.

3bs,
Which ROMshave you been using because most AOKP ROMs have toggles in NC and 4.2 allows for toggles in both the NC and when you swipe down from the right side of the screen?

Also no sound+vibrate? Is this just a Nex4 issue? I do not have this issue with the S3. And I assume you are discussing the stock JellyBean Keyboard with alt key settings?

JJust curious if what you are discussing is ROM specific or Nex4 specific. Thanks in advance.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
tgz files are used for Titanium Backup, and I think Odin recognizes them. CWM can only use zip files.

So how do I get ROM manager or CWM to recognize the factory images?

EDIT: And all my TitaniumBackup stuff is .tar.gz or .apk.gz. No .tgz.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

3bs,
Which ROMshave you been using because most AOKP ROMs have toggles in NC and 4.2 allows for toggles in both the NC and when you swipe down from the right side of the screen?

Also no sound+vibrate? Is this just a Nex4 issue? I do not have this issue with the S3. And I assume you are discussing the stock JellyBean Keyboard with alt key settings?

JJust curious if what you are discussing is ROM specific or Nex4 specific. Thanks in advance.

AOKP has mods for the quick toggles but not the old style CM10 toggles which appear in the main section above the notifications. CM10.1 still has those + the newer style quick toggles.

CM 10.1 Also has one toggle for sound/sound+vibrate/vibrate/silent. AOKP has two toggles, one for silent and one for vibrate. Of course you can still go into settings and turn on sound + vibrate.

Yep I'm discussing the stock jellybean keyboard.

So how do I get ROM manager or CWM to recognize the factory images?

Did you have a look at this? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2010312

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Ya. Take a look at step 3 on C.

They link to Googles servers. Their backup is the same place as post #2 on here, which gives a .tgz instead of a .zip.

Did you keep going through the steps? I don't actually know if there's a way to flash the stock ROM using CWM.

This might be the closest to what you want but I don't think it's completely stock http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2019243

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Ya. Take a look at step 3 on C.

They link to Googles servers. Their backup is the same place as post #2 on here, which gives a .tgz instead of a .zip.

I looked and this was the closest thing I could find, but since it is an OTA zip file, it may just link back to Google servers?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1971169

Google did a pretty good job of wiping the net clean of the stock ROM.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Did you keep going through the steps? I don't actually know if there's a way to flash the stock ROM using CWM.

This might be the closest to what you want but I don't think it's completely stock http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2019243

I am downloading that now to try it out.

EDIT: Reading some of the comments it looks like it is not actually a stock ROM and OTA updates will not work with that. It is slightly modified. The good news is that I remembered I have an old backup saved on my other computer from my first Nexus 4 before it broke and before I rooted. So I should be able to get that. The bad news is that it still doesn't help people who don't already have a backup.

I looked and this was the closest thing I could find, but since it is an OTA zip file, it may just link back to Google servers?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1971169

Google did a pretty good job of wiping the net clean of the stock ROM.

Looks like those are just the update zips and not the actual stock ROMs, unfortunately.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
You have to extract the .tgz file to get another ZIP file which contains the boot, recovery, system, and userdata images. The bootloader image is in the .tgz archive, while the other images are in the ZIP included with the .tgz.
Extract these and follow the directions while making sure your N4 is in fastboot mode (Power + Vol. Down buttons while phone is off):

"1) Make sure your computer recognizes your device by typing: fastboot devices
2) Unlock your bootloader (if you have not already done so): fastboot oem unlock
3) You will see a prompt on your device. This will wipe your entire device (including the /sdcard folder). Accept. Note: you use the volume keys to change the option and the power button to accept. You cannot use the touch screen.
4) Reboot by typing: fastboot reboot-bootloader
5) Flash the bootloader: fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-mako-makoz10l.img (or whatever the name of the bootloader image that you downloaded).
6) Reboot: fastboot reboot-bootloader
7) Flash the radio: fastboot flash radio radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1700.33.img (or whatever the name is of the radio image that you downloaded).
8) Reboot: fastboot reboot-bootloader
9) Flash the system partition: fastboot flash system system.img
10) Optional (NOT optional for n00bs) -- Flash the data partition: fastboot flash userdata userdata.img Note: this command will wipe your device (including /sdcard), EVEN if your bootloader is already unlocked. See note 2 below.
11) Flash the kernel/ramdisk: fastboot flash boot boot.img
12) Optional (NOT optional for n00bs) -- Flash the recovery partition: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
13) Erase the cache partition: fastboot erase cache
14) Reboot: fastboot reboot
15) Done! The first boot will likely take quite a bit longer than you are used to, as Android builds the Dalvik cache. "

Don't skip steps 10 and 12, though. You'll need fastboot to flash the images and and the correct drivers installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.