Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:06 AM   #1
aaronchow
macrumors regular

Need advice: Which path should I choose next?

Some background: I love to read anything related to customer experience and usability stuffs. I have been reading Dr. Jacob Nielsen's articles since 5+ years ago, but since I have no actual experience or degree in this field, I still have no luck finding even an internship job in this market.

I am not a programmer or a web designer. However, couple of years ago I started to learn HTML / CSS / JavaScript and JQuery, and I've built a website for my work using Drupal / CiviCRM and LimeSurvey, and I have been using it as my main portfolio.

I would love to work in the web-related field (just the front end stuffs). Recently I work on several freelance projects, but I find my skills barely adequate for the jobs. I lack creativity and I can't write any custom Drupal modules, and I barely pull those projects off.

I want to build a stronger foundation before I fully commit to it. Do you recommend me to take a year off and go back to school (there is a web design certificate program that lasts 15 months), or should I continue to learn the skills on my own pace (been using SafariBooksOnline for a while)? Also, I am just starting to learn PHP / MySQL now, and is there any emerging skills that I should be aware of?

I know I have a lot of questions, so I appreciate all of your advice and response in advance.
aaronchow is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development