Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desmotesta

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Hello,

I have ried searching for an answer for this question without much luck.

I would like to purchase an Apple TV but can't find any information on the when the "next" model is being released, and what is expected to be added to the "next" Apple TV.

If memory serves me right, Apple usually announces the new one in Feb-march and I would hate to buy the current version only for a "new" one to come out in a couple of months.

I dont see any information on the "Buyer's guide" link either.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
There's no pattern to be recognized from only 3 iterations of a product. A new one coming out in Feb or Mar is as likely as one not coming out for 4 years (like the wait between the first & second generation).

The box is $100, $85 in the refurb store. It usually sells for about that same price used but even if you took a big hit on selling it used- say 50%- your "loss" will be about $45-$50. In return, you get to enjoy the many benefits of it up until you take that "loss".

You could wait a month or two for a new gen... or a year or three. Is doing without the benefits of the current one worth $45-$50 at worst?

desmotesta

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
There's no pattern to be recognized from only 3 iterations of a product. A new one coming out in Feb or Mar is as likely as one not coming out for 4 years (like the wait between the first & second generation).

The box is $100, $85 in the refurb store. It usually sells for about that same price used but even if you took a big hit on selling it used- say 50%- your "loss" will be about $45-$50. In return, you get to enjoy the many benefits of it up until you take that "loss".

You could wait a month or two for a new gen... or a year or three. Is doing without the benefits of the current one worth $45-$50 at worst?

very good points - thanks

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
I just ordered a 1080p Roku. Will tie me over until I can get Amazon Prime on Apple TV without hacking one.

danbeckemeyer

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Even if you purchase one now and then again when they release a new model, you'll still likely use the older one on another TV in the home.

HERO XXL

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Even if you purchase one now and then again when they release a new model, you'll still likely use the older one on another TV in the home.

So very true--I just purchased another this past holiday season seeing as though having it on only one tv seriously limited all that i'm able to do. Go for it--you won't be disappointed in the least.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009

Great point, it's what we did, moved the ATV2 to the bedroom, ATV3 in living room....ATV1 in our office.

KonaMacMike

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
I have both the apple tv, and roku.
I am a cable cutter, and have been without for a few years now.
The 2 of these (including netflix, amazon prime) have been more than enough for myself and family, I can't say it will be the same for everyone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.