Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:28 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Next-Generation iPhone to Launch in More Colors, Multiple Sizes?

Following up on a report last month from Jefferies analyst Peter Misek claiming that the next-generation iPhone could launch in the middle of this year with as many as 6-8 colors, Topeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White has issued a report today indicating similar information. White also believes that Apple could offer the device with multiple screen sizes.
Quote:
Our checks indicate that the next iPhone will have more choices for customers. This entails an expansion in both the color patterns and screen sizes with the next iPhone (i.e., likely called the iPhone 5S) that we currently believe will be launched in May/June with certain supply production starting in March/April.
White believes that the addition of multiple color choices for the iPod touch late last year was a "testing ground" for Apple and that the company is now moving toward bringing similar option to the iPhone, and eventually to the iPad.

As for screen size, White believes that Apple may for the first time offer a brand-new model with multiple screen size options for different segments of the market.
Quote:
Although Apple offers a 4-inch screen on the iPhone 5 and a 3.5-inch screen on the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4, the Company has never offered multiple screen sizes for a single model. We believe this is about to change with the next iPhone offering different screen sizes that we believe will allow Apple to better bifurcate the market and expand its reach. This eventually opens up the possibility for a lower-priced iPhone (i.e., iPhone mini) with a smaller screen size that could allow Apple to further penetrate markets such as China and open up opportunities in India. At the same time, Apple could unveil a larger screen size compared to the recently updated 4-inch screen on the iPhone 5.
Discussion of a larger screen size is particularly difficult to believe, given that Apple just transitioned to a taller screen with the iPhone 5, the first time Apple has changed the screen size on the iPhone since its launch.

In considering how Apple might make the iPhone's screen even larger, essentially the same set of issues debated before the launch of the iPhone 5 appears: more pixels or same resolution at lower pixel density. The latter solution in particular likely offers little for Apple, as the company is almost certainly uninterested in lowering pixel density simply to offer the same amount of screen real estate at a slightly larger physical size.

As for the former, Apple increased only the vertical pixel count for the iPhone 5, allowing for a larger screen while still offering full compatibility with apps designed for the smaller screens of previous devices. It seems difficult to believe that Apple would undertake yet another increase in pixel count so soon after the iPhone 5 debut, particularly if it involved increases in both vertical and horizontal directions.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPhone to Launch in More Colors, Multiple Sizes?
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:29 AM   #2
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Sounds good.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:30 AM   #3
jbrown
macrumors 6502a

Just say 'NO' to multi-candy-coloured iPhones
jbrown is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Yeah right.
Beeplance is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:31 AM   #5
room237
macrumors 6502

My dog can be an analyst.
room237 is offline   34 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:32 AM   #6
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular

I say NO.
TheGreenBastard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

I wasn't for it before, but I made a few mockups that swayed my position. I would love a blue one. But for those saying "NO", I imagine you'd still be able to get white and black, so what's the problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_metwemodtj1qcpeg3o1_1280.jpg
Views:	5272
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	387401   Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_metwemodtj1qcpeg3o2_1280.jpg
Views:	5092
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	387402   Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_metwemodtj1qcpeg3o3_1280.jpg
Views:	3512
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	387403  

Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_metwemodtj1qcpeg3o4_1280.jpg
Views:	5050
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	387404  
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:32 AM   #8
Sir Ruben
macrumors 65816

The screen will be 4" for a LONG time to come. Possibly forever.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:33 AM   #9
darkfiber
macrumors 6502a

There doesn't seem to be much point putting out iPhones in multiple colors since so many people put cases on them.
darkfiber is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:34 AM   #10
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I could actually see them offering 3.5" and 4" side by side... I know several people who got the 4S in the past few months just because they thought the 4" screen on the 5 sounded too big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfiber View Post
There doesn't seem to be much point putting out iPhones in multiple colors since so many people put cases on them.
A lot of people (girls, anyways) just get the cases for the colors, from what I can tell.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:35 AM   #11
JarScott
macrumors 68000

This is exciting news. My mum has a 4S and she keeps saying to me "Why can't I have a pink iPhone? Or even a pink flip case like the iPad?". Apple is getting good at re-marketing iPods and iPads etc. as fashion items. The colourful iPod Touches and shuffles and stuff make the iPod a fashion item. And I think iPhone should follow this trend. I'd love a red iPhone! That'd be great! My birthday is in May so I won't have to wait until October for the next iPhone!
JarScott is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:35 AM   #12
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

If Apple just introduced a Black & Silver iPhone, I would be happy. For some reason (and many disagree with me) if you put the iPhone 4 next to an iPhone 5, the iPhone 4 looks like the premium device with its stainless steel.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:35 AM   #13
Sir Ruben
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roessnakhan View Post
I wasn't for it before, but I made a few mockups that swayed my position. I would love a blue one. But for those saying "NO", I imagine you'd still be able to get white and black, so what's the problem?
Nice mockups! I could go for a few of them actually
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:36 AM   #14
ndpitch
macrumors regular

The only screen sizes we will see for a very long time are 4 inches, or 3.5 inches. I'm thinking the iPhone 5S will be just what everyone thinks it will be. A fast iPhone 5 with some improved features.
ndpitch is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:36 AM   #15
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
omg i want the red one NOW
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:36 AM   #16
mw360
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Pretty, but they don't look like they're worth $699. Apple need their phones to look expensive.
mw360 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:36 AM   #17
azentropy
macrumors 65816

I just don't get the draw of having multiple iPhone colors. Black and white work just fine. If you want more color just put a nice skin on it which you can then change as much as you want!

Besides that it creates a nightmare for inventory control. Just too many SKUs... 3 Memory options x 4 Carrier options x ?? Colors x ?? screen sizes???
azentropy is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:38 AM   #18
Intarweb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown View Post
Just say 'NO' to multi-candy-coloured iPhones
Why? What's forcing you to buy one of the colored ones and bypassing the black and silver one?
Intarweb is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:38 AM   #19
JarScott
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruben View Post
Yeah, I can't see them going any bigger than 4" in the near future. The adverts were pretty adamant that Apple had found the perfect size and they were a clear dig at companies such as Samsung releasing phones in ridiculous sizes.
JarScott is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:38 AM   #20
yod
macrumors newbie

Sincerely doubt that Apple wants 3.5 inch screens around for much longer...
yod is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:38 AM   #21
JarScott
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw360 View Post
Pretty, but they don't look like they're worth $699. Apple need their phones to look expensive.
If done right, these coloured iPhones will still look smart and classy. I'd say they should go for darker colours. Like, instead of red go for burgundy. Looks slightly classier.
JarScott is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:39 AM   #22
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruben View Post
This analyst predicts a 27 inch foldable.

Isn't that technology almost there?

Also, with IOS 19.3 there is an app that switches the outer shell to any color people want.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:39 AM   #23
jacob-07
macrumors regular

Please don't call it an iPhone mini
jacob-07 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:39 AM   #24
sza
macrumors regular

i am more interested in seeing the iphone with larger screen coming out.
sza is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:39 AM   #25
Moorepheus
macrumors member

I like the choice of additional colors. Thanks for the mock ups

However, there is no way I am upgrading again when the 5s comes out, I just got my 5 at launch. What is it worth to me to upgrade???

Better Display. I think the current screen is awesome....how much more you going to cram into a 4" display that I will be able to see at normal vision, but you will show me a 100X mag view of it and show me how what was once the best display (retina) is not better because it has twice the amount of pixels as before. Sorry to say, but 4" is still 4" no matter how many pixel you cram into it

Better Camera. Really, unless you give me Optical Zoom, 8MB is pretty damn good for a Phone camera. The phone already does 1080p HD record at 30FPS w/ audio.

NFC Support, if it does come, don't use it now and really doesn't affect my life without it.

128GB <- Now, if I could this for the amount i paid for my 64GB iPhone 5, this might be worth it

Last edited by Moorepheus; Jan 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM.
Moorepheus is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion