Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoits2000

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
NW Indiana
This color issue has come up in the past. The only reason I believe it now is because the colored iPods that came out. I believe they only came out like that because Steve is gone. I think he was against it. Wasn't there tension with colors between Steve and Jony Ive? I think its a waste of money myself but we'll see.

txscott

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
Do Want

4.5" - 4.8" screen size. Do not want android, but found the larger screen size on the samsung I ditched for the iPhone 5 to be much more comfortable when web surfing, reading and replying to email, or trying to take a quick peek at a spreadsheet in a meeting.

Those who say Samsung and others are just making the screen bigger to get the battery they need in are nuts. There is a significant demand for bigger screen phones. I know plenty of people who have given up iPhones for a larger screen size.

atmc

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
Porto, Portugal
"Sounded" too big? Did they actually hold one in their hands before deciding? I still have a 4S (I won't be eligible to upgrade until June) and have held friends iPhone 5's and the screen doesn't really seem that much bigger because the size only increased vertically, plus it is thinner and lighter.

I wouldn't mind if Apple offered something close to the 4.8” HD Super AMOLED™ display like on the Galaxy S3 has, but of course that would cause headaches for developers I am sure and cause more fragmentation.

I agree with the user, the iPhone 5 is too big. And it is not a matter of not holding one. I own an iPhone 5 for a month now, and I say that my previous iPhone 3GS was much more comfortable to hold and operate with one hand than my new iPhone 5. Yes, my iPhone 5 is the best phone I've ever had, and the way it feels is unique, but it is too big.

It's a phone, it's not a tablet. Bigger is screen is better for content presentation, but it is bad for one hand usage. And not everyone has big hands.

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Multiple colors would suck for retailers. I use to work at a campus bookstore where we sold iPods and trying to keep a few of each model of iPod mini/nano was tough to get past management because it meant we were running up inventory levels higher than we were meant to.

Just imagine if both of these things were true...lets say 5 colors, 2 screen sizes and 3 capacities for just one carrier. That is 30 different models to carry and that only gives you 3 new colors on top of black and white!

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
The only change in iPhone screen resolution I can see happening is to match the iPad, and make the apps all universal across iOS.

wimdows

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
Innovative

Wow. Now *that*'s what you call innovation.

iPhone 5S, introducing colours. All over again.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Wow new colors! That sure is a good way of distracting your fan base from the real issues!

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
Well... Apple is not about innovation anymore. That is the only fact.

Give me a break. The word "innovation" is utterly meaningless. It's like a customer service agent "apologizing for the inconvenience." Neither mean anything. When I read or hear the word "innovation" these days, I puke a little in my mouth because it means NOTHING. Add a dumb feature. Innovation! Change the shape. Innovation! Different color scheme. Innovation!

The iPhone itself was innovative. Siri is innovative. And that's about it. Everything else has been a logical progression, a refinement, an improvement, but a true innovation? No. Android hasn't offered a single innovation since its birth. Lots of good copying and improvements upon other ideas, but something truly innovative? No. If anything, Microsoft is the only one doing something innovative these days with the Windows 8 UI, like it or not.

hoodedwarbler12

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
Tennessee
I bet the smaller screen will be the same size as the 4/4S, but the internal specs will be better and it will be thinner. I bet the larger screen will be the same as the current 5, also with better specs. A7?

ng-design

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
Nashville
Good news

I hope this is true. Apple has to start offering larger sizes to stay competitive.

I understand about pixel count and why they feel it's important to maintain it for the Retina display. But keep in mind that HTC released the Droid DNA, which is 5", has a 1080p HD screen and most reviews agree that the sharpness and clarity is on par with the Retina display on Apple's iPhone. Also keep in mind that after a certain point, the human eye cannot differentiate the difference in pixels.

Other companies are making larger screens, with quality that is set to compete with Apple. We cannot continue to sit back and act like the 4" screen is "good enough" while completely ignoring the fact that millions of consumers have moved over to larger Android phones.

Bigger isn't always better, and we know that. So I think offering multiple sizes is smart on Apple's part. If people want to stick with a 3.5" or 4", fine. Let them have it. But if people want a larger screen that competes with Android phones, we need an iPhone option for that too.

If Apple tries to skate through 2013 without offering a larger iPhone, I really think it's going to hurt them.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Sounds good. :D

Sounds terrible. Just what we need: Apps that may work on ONE kind of phone and not enother due to screen size. Suppose you have an iPhone5 and then get an iPhone Mini, and you lose access to ALL those apps you bought because of an incompatibility or the inability to even see the items on the tiny screen? Dilution isn't a good thing.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
My vision:

iPhone Mini - 3.5" retina screen, no colour choices, 8 - 32GB

iPhone - 4" retina screen, colour options, 16 - 128GB, 4G and NFC

And getting rid of those stupid naming conventions and call it the iPhone. Differentiate between like with macs by when it was released - early, mid or late followed by the year.

I like Apple because of the simplicity, and with all the various models and products they have, it's starting to get overly complicated.

Alfuh

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
The only thing the iPhone really needs is no contract and $39.00 a month for unlimited service.

You can buy it unlocked (ie. no contract) today, right now. Then go get Straight Talk at $45 a month with unlimited talk, text & web (uses AT&T network).

Then just say no to a cup of Starbucks each month and you saved the extra $6 too ;)

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If Apple releases multiple color choices for iPhones the posts on Macrumors from youngish, insecure male posters asking "Is X color too feminine for a guy?" will multiply 10 fold.

Alfuh

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
Apple needs a 4.8" screen.
My 4" screen isnt cutting it, BUT I hate android.

If I could run the Apple OS on one of those beautiful Samsung phones, I wouldve left Apple already.

Make a 4.8" or 5.5" iPhone & a 4" model. Thats it.
No need for 3.5" anymore.

Funny, I feel the complete opposite. I love Apple hardware quality and feel, but am finding myself really preferring Android.

The Galaxy S3 is a bit too big for me to use comfortably, but if I could have an Apple built 4.5" phone running Stock Android (or at least flash CM10) I would be a happy camper.

I can dream right? :eek:

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
I would love a smaller lighter 3 inch iPhone. Would buy it in a heartbeat. Same speed as the current iPhone 5. I'm sure Apple could pull it off.

tumtumtum

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Putting a larger screen on a device is not innovative. I find the Nexus 4 too large and too uncomfortable to use daily as a phone. As a tablet/home device the screen is ok if you can put up with the ridiculous lag and stutter.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
Almost got a pink one ..

but went with an iPad mini instead. I love iPads. If I could I would have 10 of them. Perfect touch surfaces for my production work. iPod touches are nice but if you have an iPhone then whats the point? mind you I don't have a cell phone. I have yet to actually own one so a touch would be ok.

Inkling

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2006
Functional improvements a better choice

I'm not sure multiple case colors makes as much sense for iPhones as it does for the iPod touch. The latter costs more and is mission-critical, so most users put it in a case that can be any color they want. Apple would be creating inventory hassles for itself with little sales payback.

A variety of screen sizes does make sense. A larger (wider and taller) screen would be great for those who use their smart phones as a mobile office. If Apple doesn't make one, they'll lose sales. But varied screen sizes clashes with one of Apple's basic design principles: limit the screen size options so designers can take the time to make their apps look good for each of them.

Apple would be well-advised to consider having EL (Extended Life) models for all their mobile products, including laptops. Like a lot of others, I use a Mophie battery/case with my iPhone, but because it has to have two case walls, the result is thicker than it would be if a larger capacity battery were put inside a slightly thicker iPhone.

The same is true of laptops, particularly the MacBook Air. Given the bags we carry them around in, a EL model of the MBA that's a bit thicker would make no difference and having a work-all-day battery life (10+ hours) would be a major improvement and a big selling point. Past about 12 hours, a laptop's battery life becomes essentially infinite since users can recharge overnight.

Keep in mind that Apple's competitors will be looking for functional deficiencies in Apple's product line and offering models that do something users want enough to break with the Apple eco-system. In comparison to that, style issues like color are trivial. If you want a purple iPhone, you can get a purple case.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Multiple colors, why not, but multiple sizes? It seems like a me-too move that would probably create more problems (particularly for software developers) than it solves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.