Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:33 PM   #1
MacNut
macrumors P6

‘Fiscal Cliff’ Deal Also Doles Out Millions for Hollywood, Railroads, Rum Producers

Quote:
The “fiscal cliff” compromise has been heralded as a saving grace for middle class taxpayers, their families and the unemployed.
But buried in the fine print of the 150-page deal are also some lesser-known New Year’s gifts to some of Washington’s favorite industries.
Under the plan, the federal government would eat nearly $100 billion in forgone tax revenue over the next two years by extending special tax credits for select businesses that had been set to expire.
While the provisions themselves are not new, and are often extended as part of major bills, their inclusion amidst a tumultuous year-end debate over deficits and debt did raise a few eyebrows.
The nonpartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget listed the so-called “tax extenders” as a “bad” part of the fiscal cliff deal because their cost is not offset, “setting a bad precedent for future extensions.”
The mix of tax perks covering the next year, but with budget implications for the next two years includes everything from incentives for employers to hire veterans to incentives for employers to invest in mine safety. But it also includes these:

$430 million for Hollywood through “special expensing rules” to encourage TV and film production in the United States. Producers can expense up to $15 million of costs for their projects.

$331 million for railroads by allowing short-line and regional operators to claim a tax credit up to 50 percent of the cost to maintain tracks that they own or lease.

$222 million for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands through returned excise taxes collected by the federal government on rum produced in the islands and imported to the mainland.

$70 million for NASCAR by extending a “7-year cost recovery period for certain motorsports racing track facilities.”

$59 million for algae growers through tax credits to encourage production of “cellulosic biofuel” at up to $1.01 per gallon.

$4 million for electric motorcycle makers by expanding an existing green-energy tax credit for buyers of plug-in vehicles to include electric motorbikes.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...rum-producers/

I can let most of those slide, except for Nascar and Hollywood? Do they really need the tax breaks?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:39 PM   #2
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...rum-producers/

I can let most of those slide, except for Nascar and Hollywood? Do they really need the tax breaks?
Is the Nascar deal for some of Mitt's best friends?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Peace
macrumors P6

While I agree that they shouldn't be doling out money to special interests we have GOT to get away from the concept of "offsetting" some spending with some kind of tax break..It is only making our government worse.

With that I stand on the opinion that this temporary bill shouldn't even be considered by either party. Period. We need to do it for the long term and stop kicking the can down the road.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
Even if they ended up cutting NASCAR tax benefits, what are they gonna do? Move the whole enterprise offshore? To where? Europe? Like they'll take it.

It takes an incredible amount of talent to make cars zooming by at 200MPH boring. NASCAR somehow manages to do just that.
Renzatic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:45 PM   #5
Iscariot
macrumors 68030

Have you ever had rum from Central America? $222 million is a small price to pay.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:02 PM   #6
webbuzz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The same could be asked if the Hollywood and railroad "deals" are for Obama's friends. Right?
webbuzz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:15 PM   #7
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Even if they ended up cutting NASCAR tax benefits, what are they gonna do? Move the whole enterprise offshore? To where? Europe? Like they'll take it.

It takes an incredible amount of talent to make cars zooming by at 200MPH boring. NASCAR somehow manages to do just that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbuzz View Post
The same could be asked if the Hollywood and railroad "deals" are for Obama's friends. Right?
Oh c'mon! Did everyone forget the great Nascar quote from Mittens?

As usual, any deal is padded with pork on all flanks. Nothing will ever change in DC. Ever.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:23 PM   #8
webbuzz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Oh c'mon! Did everyone forget the great Nascar quote from Mittens?

As usual, any deal is padded with pork on all flanks. Nothing will ever change in DC. Ever.
Pork is a major problem. Unfortunately, it will not change anytime soon.
webbuzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:27 PM   #9
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Pork is a major problem. Unfortunately, it will not change ever.
Fixed it for you.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:50 PM   #10
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
I'm sure the "Oracle" of Omaha benefits greatly from the railroad deal. He's leftish but not hard core. There's lots of right wing Hollywood producers so I don't think that's a left or a right deal.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:52 PM   #11
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
I'm sure the "Oracle" of Omaha benefits greatly from the railroad deal. He's leftish but not hard core. There's lots of right wing Hollywood producers so I don't think that's a left or a right deal.
Didn't one of those right wing hollywood producers make a movie about Obama before the election ?

Maybe Obama is getting royalty checks.

Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:00 PM   #12
unlinked
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Pork is a major problem. Unfortunately, it will not change anytime soon.
I though pork related to spending not tax breaks.
unlinked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:47 AM   #13
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
heheh...now that is funny (and so true)! Of course, I also went to a Formula 1 race in Australia, and was more entertained my the helicopter doing the overhead TV shots. It was MUCH more entertaining than the race.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:23 AM   #14
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
So nice you're willing to let some of these things slide.

Otherwise, if you found them intolerable, you could always run for office.

Be the change you want to see.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:53 AM   #15
chris200x9
macrumors 6502a

The media is democrat's "big oil" of course Hollywood will get a tax break...you scratch my back I scratch yours.
chris200x9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:16 AM   #16
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
So nice you're willing to let some of these things slide.

Otherwise, if you found them intolerable, you could always run for office.

Be the change you want to see.
Sure I would love to run for office, do you want to finance my campaign?

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues