Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fantom555

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
New York City
i am thinking of switching to the ipad mini i have the ipad 3 now. i use my ipad to read surf the web nd play games. and for work i use to read documents and spreadsheets. i was wondering if any went and switched to the mini after having the large size and and what where your thoughts or should i not do it at this time.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I had the 3 & sold it for the mini

I just found the big iPad to be too heavy

Go to the apple store & hold the ipad mini in your hands , then make your decision

Fantom555

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
New York City
I had the 3 & sold it for the mini

I just found the big iPad to be too heavy

Go to the apple store & hold the ipad mini in your hands , then make your decision

my kids all have the mini but from those who use more then just a social device i would love to hear there thoughts.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
I'm asking myself the same question. I'm going to have enough Apple Store gift cards to buy an iPad Mini. I have an iPad3 which I've liked, but I think I would really enjoy the lighter weight and smaller size of the Mini. The big unknown for me is going from the retina screen on the iPad3 to the non-retina on the Mini. I don't live close to an Apple Store or even a Best Buy to go in and compare screens.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Sold my iPad 2 and got a mini. The size is perfect and it's so portable and lightweight. Display is not as bad as it was made out to be. No regrets.

Edit: I also own and iPhone 5 and while the mini display isn't Retina, it really is not that bad. I used my iPad 2 and iPhone 4S together (and then the 5) since May before i got the iPad mini.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
Just gave my iPad 1 to a grand daughter but still have a 2, 3 and mini. I use the mini all day until I run the battery down. Then I reluctantly reach for the 3. When mini 2 comes out I will buy it and get rid of the full size pads. Hard to go from mini to full size.

xMClass

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
California
Previous owner of the first generation iPad and iPad 2 here, recently picked up an iPad mini and I'm definitely enjoying it more than the full sized iPad. I could use the mini all day and not get tired of holding it. I find the size and weight much more useable for my needs. The lack of retina display is apparent, especially when reading text, but it's definitely not a bad screen.

Dunkrag

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I've gone iPad 3 to mini and no regrets at all.

The lighter weight and being able to put it in my pocket is a huge benefit. I notice the lower resolution screen but it does not outweigh the benefits.

It sounds crazy but even on the last couple of plane journeys I have taken, it is so much more manageable to take on board than the full size model.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I have the iPad 3 and when the mini came out I had to get one. Since getting the mini I have rarely used the iPad 3. I just find the iPad mini easier to work with and a lot easier to carry around. The smaller size fits in my backpack or messenger bag better and the lighter weight makes it a joy to carry around. I never thought that the iPad 3 was heavy by any means, but when compared to the mini, the iPad 3 seems as heavy as a brick.

As for what I use it for, well aside from using it to read books via the Kindle app or iBooks, there is surfing the web, checking email, and playing a few games. I also use Numbers to keep track on a few spreadsheets, I use Pages to write a few letters with and I use PocketMoney to keep track of my finances. I am also user of CraftStudio and love it to create greetings with it. When I got the iPad mini I got a 64GB version and love the extra space where I can put a few movies on it when hitting the road. My iPad 3 was just a 16GB version so that wasn't always possible to do. Since I have a lot more space on this iPad I have also started creating some photo books in the iPhoto app. I take a lot of pictures with my iPhone 5 and with photo stream love that I can veiw a larger image a few seconds later on the iPad.

I have read a lot of negativity on the mini because it's not retina, but in all honesty I don't miss retina on the mini. The screen itself is pretty amazing for a device the at size. If a retina mini comes out that doesn't compromise the size and weight of the mini as well as the battery life then I will more than likely upgrade at that time. Until then the iPad mini will be my iPad of choice. I am even considering selling my iPad 3 because in all honesty it is just sitting there collecting dust at this point.

mazdatree

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
The iPad mini is much lighter, making reading around the house much easier for me, but lately I've been using my iPad 3 as my bedside reader. And taking pictures/video with the iPad mini is much easier since it's lighter.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
i am thinking of switching to the ipad mini i have the ipad 3 now. i use my ipad to read surf the web nd play games. and for work i use to read documents and spreadsheets. i was wondering if any went and switched to the mini after having the large size and and what where your thoughts or should i not do it at this time.

I won't especially with the next one coming sooner rather than later if you agree. Even still, I am sure you enjoy the 3 and I am not sure currently that the mini would suffice for you since you don't seem to have access to one to try it out and you are use to the 3.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I have played with the mini at the local Apple store, and it seems like a great device. However, I use my iPad 3 for a fair amount of light content creation and note taking, so I really appreciate the larger screen. The full sized ipad has really replaced my need for a laptop, and it accounts for about 75% of my personal computing. I have a desktop for the heavy lifting.

At this time, the full sized iPad fits better for my uses:
iPhone for on-the-go
iPad for couch surfing, editing/drafting documents, meeting notes, and vacations
Mac mini for photo editing and more substantial document development

Last edited:

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Had my "3" since release and sold it after a few weeks with the Mini. Did not miss the Retina display at all and the reduced size and weight make the Mini a joy to use.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I tried the mini and returned it. I am visually impaired and rather myopic, so I am very sensitive to differences in screen resolution. On top if that, I only have sight in one eye which I am sure factors into my assessment the form factor and weight were very attractive as regards the mini, but it always was blurry. Albeit smaller, I found the iPhone 5 to be much clearer for me.

I will re-evaluate when and if there is a Retina version. I suspect others with better vision will not have these issues.

Jay

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
The graphics and power from the iPad 4 are not to be underestimated but I can look past that every time I hold my mini in my hands and feel how thin and light it is compared to my 4 when I had it. It's much easier to use and carry.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
The graphics and power from the iPad 4 are not to be underestimated but I can look past that every time I hold my mini in my hands and feel how thin and light it is compared to my 4 when I had it. It's much easier to use and carry.

Completely agree. It's amazing how much the reduction in size matters to the overall experience.

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
Completely agree. It's amazing how much the reduction in size matters to the overall experience.

Yup, working for me. Just did this today and wow am I liking the mini even though its not retina and I can tell its not quite as snappy in a few things.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009

What he said.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Mini used for imovie, iPhoto (stuff imported with lightning adapters) and aviation apps.

Even wrote a sponsorship proposal using Pages. Using Pages is much handier on the Mini.

No regrets and it was a nicer experience for all those things over doing them on the full ipad.

Last edited:

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
It's a good size for documents. Never used my iPad for spreadsheets or projects so I can't attest to that.

----------

Wow, really?

It was no contest after using both...in fact we had TWO iPad 4s...Decided to pick up two iPad minis to "try out", a week later the iPad 4s were returned to Best Buy...ZERO regret :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.