Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hiptobesquare

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2003
Iowa
Frankly, it is getting to the point where I want a VERY simple phone in my pocket.

standard buttons, minimalist display, and bluetooth (headset and connection to another device, more on that in a moment...)

Either that, or a stand-alone phone-in-an-earpiece that is voice controlled and responsive, that doesn't require numerical buttons to make a phone call, that also can bluetooth pair to another device...

And either phone module I just mentioned, would bluetooth connect to a larger screen device, such as an iPad mini or full size iPad.

It would sync the contact list phone numbers for voice-responsive dialing.
It would cooperate on internet-search results as phone numbers. touch a phone number on your screen device, and it would hand off the call to your simple phone device. It could do this from your laptop or desktop computer, as well.
An incoming phone call would bluetooth signal your screen device to mute sounds and pause music playback.

Basically the way an iPhone acts... but with the phone device being separate from the screen device, and the phone device being MUCH smaller and more ergonomic.

and the phone device would operate as a "dumb" phone (phone calls, speed dial, 911 access, and basic text messages via voice or numeric keypad entry) without any screen device present.

Put the internet and apps and such on a screen device like iPod Touch, iPad Mini, and iPad, as an alternative to iPhone. an all-in-one iPhone would still make sense to offer, of course. This would be an alternative, not a replacement.

The big difference between this and a bluetooth earpiece paired to an iPad cellular unit, would be that the earpiece would still work as a phone in and of itself, without the iPad being present, if you don't have one, don't want one, or simply aren't carrying it at the moment.

I find myself using my data features less and less, and in circumstances when I already have the iPad or laptop handy anyway, and if I don't have those things handy... usually I only want the phone in my pocket for a basic communication tether to work and family, or emergency.

I could relatively easily migrate to a dumb-phone and iPad Mini tablet arrangement... if only dumb-phone was well built, well designed, light, robust, and designed like an apple product, would intuitively integrate WITH the iPad, like apple product integration.

A small, light weight phone device that would fold out into an earpiece/boom mic, and fold back up into a rectangular device that fits into my pocket when I don't want to wear it on my ear, and was voice-commanded (and actually WORKS when commanded, and could alternatively receive commands from a paired screen device) might actually be innovative...

Last edited:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Try this for RED !

121228030522-lobster-iphone-story-top.jpg

(click to enlarge)

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/28/tech/social-media/apparently-this-matters-lobster-case/index.html

oh dear, thats as stupid as those silly playboy bunny cases

FrenchMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
Resolution in the case of a bigger screen

Now that the iPhone 5 has introduce a almost 16x9 screen ratio, it becomes possible for Apple to increase the screen size (by going to a 4.8'' 1080p IGZO 440 dpi screen for example) without having to exactly double the pixel resolution like they have to do with the iPhone 4.

Pixels will be so small that I do think that keeping a exact scaling won't matter much.

The screen layout will keep the iPhone application screen layout (and not the iPad one). UI elements will be slightly bigger and that's it...

And an increase size will also means more possibility for a NFC antenna or the battery. A bigger screen iPhone will certainly also means a thinner phone. The A6 processor is known for its power efficiency.

Just my two cents...

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Never understood why people want a screen that big. The gs3 4.8 screen is amazing , however the drawnack is that it's massive.
Don't even get me started on the note 2. My friend got it the other day. It's almost as big as the ipad mini ( not literally though). It did fit in my pocket , but i don't really see a usefullness for a screen that oversized unless you're constantly reading pdf's or watching movies.

What about reading books or novel online? The letter is just too small to read on iPhone. I am perfectly happy Apple get 5 inch phone, then i don't need carry iPad Mini with me to read books on a go.... Seriously...

30AC4D5F-589E-4C50-A399-B9C413F502A8-5614-00001468DC461363.jpg

46189F61-31B3-48B8-B551-21EF13B01863-5614-00001468D60A062C.jpg

BFEE918D-2567-4E54-9FDA-3778528B2157-5614-00001469C78E19E7.jpg

You see... bigger screen makes reading much more enjoyable... it is also better for you eye... I don't mind make phone call with my iPad Mini either...

arnette

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
Colors on a new 5s I can believe.
But an entirely new design for a smaller screen is a bad rumor. I'm sure they'll just keep up production of the 4s and sell for less.

It's gonna be a 5s with brighter screen, better battery management, NFC and a better camera lens, possibly in 4 or 5 colors a la iPod Touch.

And people will bitch about iterations vs. revolutions. And they will be right. And it will be the best selling phone. And I'll probably get one.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Hopefully better colours than the current ones which are too pastel for my liking and remind me of those horrible colours that hybrid cars came in when they were first introduced.

kaplag

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
I don't know why people would think they would go with an even larger phone I think they will release a 3.5" and a 4" side by side. I think the 3.5" was just to difficult to engineer with LTE this round and with revised internals they could release it the next round.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
4.5" - 4.8" screen size. Do not want android, but found the larger screen size on the samsung I ditched for the iPhone 5 to be much more comfortable when web surfing, reading and replying to email, or trying to take a quick peek at a spreadsheet in a meeting.

Those who say Samsung and others are just making the screen bigger to get the battery they need in are nuts. There is a significant demand for bigger screen phones. I know plenty of people who have given up iPhones for a larger screen size.

I agree with this 100%. I know people that switched to android ONLY because of the bigger screen. Most people these days barely use their phone as a phone and more so as a "smart" device (ie Facebook, texting, instagram etc).

I would love a 4.5" iPhone. However I know that wont happen.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Multiple colors? Maybe.

Multiple screen sizes? Yes, but only because the 4s will still be around as a low-end option.

Multiple "analysts" making things up for page views? Always.

hiptobesquare

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2003
Iowa
I hope the iPod Touch's little retractable lanyard post makes an appearance on more Apple devices, if they are spreading the color aspect around, too.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Never understood why people want a screen that big. The gs3 4.8 screen is amazing , however the drawnack is that it's massive.
Don't even get me started on the note 2. My friend got it the other day. It's almost as big as the ipad mini ( not literally though). It did fit in my pocket , but i don't really see a usefullness for a screen that oversized unless you're constantly reading pdf's or watching movies.

The problem with the Note is that it's too small for comfortably reading books and PDFs. So you end up with a large device that's pretty much best for videos and viewing photos. If you don't do much of either of those, then it becomes just a ginormous phone which can't be used with one hand.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Apple can barely keep up with demand for the iPhone. With only a few models they also control the majority of the mobile industry's profits. I hardly see any of this as a "problem" for them. I'd say they're doing ok without multiple screen sizes. Bottom line, Apple isn't really interested in markets - or customers - that don't make them money.

Why can't apple make the same kind of gross margin on the bigger screen Iphone that Iphone 5 has now? it is additional profit center that Apple can take. if you look at the Android land, almost all of manufacturer has high end phone that is bigger than 4 inches. It is pretty stupid not to challenge your competitor and let them rake up all the revenue.

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
Different people have different usage patterns and different size preferences. I have used 3.2, 3.5, 4, 4.3, 4.5, 4.8, 5.5, 6 (Kindle), 7, 7.9, 10. And to me the 4.8"-5" would be the sweet spot in terms of portability/screen size balance, if you want to carry around only one device. It is still very pocketable, light and single hand operable.

But I can see why people may prefer smaller or bigger. Again, people have different priorities/needs/usage patterns. Some use it just as phone with light texting/emailing. Others also do a lot of web browsing, ebook reading, videos, note taking, even sketching with stylus (the Samsung Note pressure-sensitive stylus is quite amazing).

Unfortunately Apple does not offer consumer a choice. Sure they can't make the 4-incher fast enough but the lack of size options gives a lot of business to competition. Not smart.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
If Apple just introduced a Black & Silver iPhone, I would be happy. For some reason (and many disagree with me) if you put the iPhone 4 next to an iPhone 5, the iPhone 4 looks like the premium device with its stainless steel.

I agree. I wish there was more uniformity. A lot of people enjoy their i-devices matching their Mac. Currently, the only iPods/iPhones/iPads to do this are the iPod Shuffle, iPhones 4 and 4s, and iPad 2, 3, 4. An iPod Touch with a black front and silver aluminum back would be nice and I'd consider purchasing one. The slate is okay, but doesn't match a Mac and I don't care much for the aluminum scratching to the silver underneath the slate coating.

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
The problem with the Note is that it's too small for comfortably reading books and PDFs. So you end up with a large device that's pretty much best for videos and viewing photos. If you don't do much of either of those, then it becomes just a ginormous phone which can't be used with one hand.
I don't see it as a "problem with the Note". The Note is only half-inch smaller then 6" e-ink Kindle. And Amazon sold millions of 6" Kindles - the best selling Kindle ever. But compare to Kindle, the Note is a so much more capable device also sold in millions.

Last edited:

eromitlab

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2003
Balderdash. I'd say we may see multi-colored iPhones in the future, but I'm not holding my breath. As for the multiple screen sizes - No way. That would mean a further stratification of a product line... something that Apple did to their detriment in the past. The amount of product engineering that would have to go into making a different screen size with the same guts, not to mention the manufacturing processes to produce maybe thirty variants of the same iPhone revision (2 screens * 5 colors * 3 storage size options), not even considering the different models for the carriers (Sprint, VZW, AT&T etc...). They (Apple's manufacturing partners) have a hard enough time delivering their products on time now, splitting it down into two screen sizes and several colors would be a horrendous mistake. No, the next iPhone is more likely to be available in say, five colors, but they will always have the 4" screen. Personally, I think the monochromatic scheme is perfect and adding other colors will just cheapen the product and detract from the very sleek and sophisticated profile that has been developed over the years.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
I agree with this 100%. I know people that switched to android ONLY because of the bigger screen. Most people these days barely use their phone as a phone and more so as a "smart" device (ie Facebook, texting, instagram etc).

All of which is no problem on the iPhone. But a bigger screen is wider, bulkier, and more awkward in one's pocket. A bigger screen on the iPhone is one of the few reasons I would NOT upgrade.

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
Balderdash. I'd say we may see multi-colored iPhones in the future, but I'm not holding my breath. As for the multiple screen sizes - No way. That would mean a further stratification of a product line... something that Apple did to their detriment in the past. The amount of product engineering that would have to go into making a different screen size with the same guts, not to mention the manufacturing processes to produce maybe thirty variants of the same iPhone revision.
So what? Why HTC, Samsung, and LG can offer multiple sizes and Apple can't? At this point Apple must offer different sizes, if they want to keep up with Samsung and others. There are a lot of amazing Android phones in works.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
The new iPhone Note... 5.5" screen and comes in green!

...the most ridiculous iPhone yet.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
Why can't apple make the same kind of gross margin on the bigger screen Iphone that Iphone 5 has now? it is additional profit center that Apple can take. if you look at the Android land, almost all of manufacturer has high end phone that is bigger than 4 inches. It is pretty stupid not to challenge your competitor and let them rake up all the revenue.

It's not that they can't make the same kind of margins. Their manufacturing partners are already working around the clock to produce the current iPhone models. If they add another model to the mix, they simply might not be able to meet the demand. Apple doesn't need to be all things to all people. They're incredibly successful with their current offerings. If you don't like the fact that the iPhone has a smaller screen than an S3, buy an S3. I don't think Apple is losing business because of screen size. And even if they are, so what? They're still raking in way more profit than anyone else in the mobile industry and barely meeting the iPhone demand as is.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.