Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bniaulin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
I am sure this question is often asked and I apologize in advance but I find it's the best way for me to get an answer. I have done a lot of research and am still undecided.

I was looking at the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display with 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 and 16GB ram

I have always been on a Windows OS since, well since I can remember. Love my iPhone and Apple is starting to appeal to me a lot more. I travel a lot for work and do many conference presentation with Microsoft Technology. I have done my research and for that I plan on getting Fusion by VMWARE to run my VMs. (Which is why I need a powerful laptop with 16GB of ram)

I was about to buy it when my coworker told me there a release cycle and I think it's on MacRumors it recommends not to buy right now.
I am not in a hurry to buy, I can easily wait for April. But my question is, is it worth it or come April someone will tell me to wait for the July release and so on... I heard rumors of a new Intel chip that helps with battery life which is why I am considering waiting until April.

I guess my question is, is it worth waiting? (Considering my need is not urgent) Does anyone have experience working in a "Microsoft" world sort of speak with a Macbook pro?

Thanks and happy new year!

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
like people always say .. if you need it now get it and if you can wait then wait but i seriously dont think it will be updated until June

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I have the same configuration as jetjaguar, it's a beast of a computer. Handles everything that I could possibly throw at it easily.

If you wait, the new CPUs that Intel will have will be probably around 10% faster, but the integrated GPU will be apparently at least 50% faster. Not sure how accurate that will be, so we will have to wait and find out. But the integrated and discrete GPUs in the current rMBP handle everything very well. It's the code for the software that has to be optimized for the display.

Battery life won't be dramatically different, especially since it's what you do that determines the battery life more than anything.

Intel's next gen CPUs are expected summertime this year, so it's about 6 months away.

As for Microsoft things...just load Windows via BootCamp, and dual boot. That way you get a full OS X experience, as well as a full Windows experience. You can run VMs too, but you lose the full dedication of the hardware.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
If you wait till April you will have someone telling you to wait till at least June. Ivybridge was released in April last year and Apple didn't release their Ivybridge Macs till the WWDC in June. Think we will see the same timing this year.

If you need a computer now go out and get one, if not then wait. I waited for the Arandale MBPs to be released in 2010 when my refurb MBP was refunded in Dec 09. They were supposed to come out February but came out in April.

4 months was harsh and I won't be doing that again. I'll have the cash to get a 15" Retina later this month and will not be worrying about Haswell.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply, this is the article I was mentioning https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#Retina_MacBook_Pro

That article is worthless and no mobile Haswell cpus are due out more like June or July. You could probably look for an event around that time. Desktop variants will likely be available a bit earlier. The buyer's guide simply uses averaged timelines while referencing recent events.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Ive got a 2.6 16gb ram 256 Retna and it is an awesome machine. I would buy one now but i dont mind not having the latest greatest thing.

bniaulin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Thanks for all the advice and I hadn't considered Dual Boot Bootcamp.
Since I do presentations it could be useful to just boot in Windows. My reasoning was to just have a VM running and use the Mac OS to do what I need to do otherwise what would be the point in switching right. But you make a good point.

From what I hear I might as well get it now since nothing drastic will be changing even in June (processor and graphics right?)

I work with my laptop and do not play games or run anything that pushes the video graphics that much.

My hesitation is mixed with my fear of going into unknown territory. I have never played with a Mac and have no idea what to expect. The price tag is obviously a factor but most people I know tell me it's well worth it since the hardware and software are just made for each other.

----------

So I guess my next question is....

If all I have right now is an iPhone 5 what do I need to complete the Macbook Pro Retina 15' when I buy it?

ex:

-Apple Care <--?
-Magic mouse
-apple tv
-any sort of cables?
-other?

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Thanks for all the advice and I hadn't considered Dual Boot Bootcamp.
Since I do presentations it could be useful to just boot in Windows. My reasoning was to just have a VM running and use the Mac OS to do what I need to do otherwise what would be the point in switching right. But you make a good point.

I work with my laptop and do not play games or run anything that pushes the video graphics that much.

If you're not doing anything graphically intensive I would suggest sticking with the VM approach. Apart from FM2013 which works in OS X, I do the rest of my gaming on my desktop PC atm and I deliver training so have to run PowerPoint presentations quite a lot.

Parallels works perfectly for me for that purpose, if I have it in coherence mode (the Windows programs open like they are OS X ones), and presenter mode works fine. You can also use the OS X gestures on the programs, the Trackpad in Bootcamp does not work nearly as well. Would imagine VM Fusion has similar features.

From what I hear I might as well get it now since nothing drastic will be changing even in June (processor and graphics right?)

Yup, will only be an internal upgrade with the refresh. Could be amazing, more likely to be a minor boost IMO.

My hesitation is mixed with my fear of going into unknown territory. I have never played with a Mac and have no idea what to expect. The price tag is obviously a factor but most people I know tell me it's well worth it since the hardware and software are just made for each other.

Have you got any shops you can go to so you can give one a try? Best to at least take a look before you spend that amount of money.

An extended warranty of some type would be worthwhile, keep in mind Applecare does not cover accidental damage.

bniaulin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Do you find yourself using PowerPoint or "Keynote" I think it's called?

I don't think I will over-think how I will be giving my training, I know there is Bootcamp and/or Virtual Machine. All I will have to do is find what works for me.
I have tried the local Apple store and it looks great it's just I don't know what to do on it. Opened Safari and some native apps...but I mean it's hard to tell if it is better, I would need to be using it daily to find out.

I keep hearing that Macbook pros and of course the OS is much better than Windows so I figured I would give it a try. Love my iPhone experience and the quality of Apple products have a reputation of their own.

So I take it that AppleCare isn't really worth it then.

Again I want to thank everyone for your time in answering my questions. It's not easy switching from Windows to Mac when you've been using it for so many years and work in providing training etc on Microsoft technology. So thank you.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Do you find yourself using PowerPoint or "Keynote" I think it's called?

I don't think I will over-think how I will be giving my training, I know there is Bootcamp and/or Virtual Machine. All I will have to do is find what works for me.
I have tried the local Apple store and it looks great it's just I don't know what to do on it. Opened Safari and some native apps...but I mean it's hard to tell if it is better, I would need to be using it daily to find out.

I keep hearing that Macbook pros and of course the OS is much better than Windows so I figured I would give it a try. Love my iPhone experience and the quality of Apple products have a reputation of their own.

So I take it that AppleCare isn't really worth it then.

Again I want to thank everyone for your time in answering my questions. It's not easy switching from Windows to Mac when you've been using it for so many years and work in providing training etc on Microsoft technology. So thank you.

Because all the other trainers have Windows laptops, I have to use PowerPoint and as I don't like the Mac version of Office it run it through a VM. Although I did insist on doing a presentation in Keynote once, as it was for a Mac tech support course and I feel it is the better presentation SW (haven't tried PowerPoint 2013 yet), just not great if others need to use your work.

I hope the transition works out for you, can only speak for myself but I'm glad I made the switch. Main tips I'd give is if you want to properly close an app use the keyboard short cut CMD+Q, rather than clicking on the red dot to close the window, use spotlight (magnifying glass icon in the right of the menu bar), and learn the different trackpad gestures (they're all shown in System Preferences> Trackpad.

As for Applecare, the retina is rated as one of the least repairable laptops out there so it makes sense if anything breaks down. As you are going to be travelling with it though acc dam cover would be worthwhile.

bniaulin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Thanks for all the tips and advice, will be making the purchase tomorrow!

I'll look at the applecare closely then since I am travelling a lot and get the necessary add-ons.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
Would I spend close to $3000 just to use it as a presentation tool via vmware? Hell no. You wouldn't even be utilizing the biggest benefit of the machine which is the screen.

Such a massive overkill and waste of $$$ that you're even considering upgrading to 16gb of ram just to run windows + presentation software. Since you don't seem to have an issue buying cables/accessories why wouldn't you just go for a MacBook air?

Last edited:

bniaulin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Presentations is just a part of my job :) But a key part that needs to work. I completely agree with you otherwise.
I also do some Photoshop and a lot of work with CSS and HTML.

When creating these sites I want to make sure they look top notch and I have the best machine to see it. I then do presentations as well to teach what I have learned.
To do presentations I need to be running a Virtual Server running Microsoft SharePoint which takes quite a bit of juice. No matter what I take (Microsoft or Apple) I need a laptop that can host a virtual machine to run the backend locally. That's why I need the 16gb, my current 8GB DELL just isn't enough for top performance in front of live audience.

It could be overkill as you say, I just thought it was time to switch to a Mac and if I do I want to make sure I have something that will be useful for the years to come.

exomoons

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
It could be overkill as you say, I just thought it was time to switch to a Mac and if I do I want to make sure I have something that will be useful for the years to come.

If money is not an issue, Id top it out with 768gb and 2.7ghz as well. I find that 256gb (even 512gb) is a bit small after switching from the Alienware m18.

I also do Photoshop, CSS and HTML web design and the rmbp handles them quite well. It can even handle Vulcan, Datamine, Whittle...so it should be able to handle the tasks you have for it.

GL, you will enjoy it.

bniaulin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Thanks for all the help, I made the order this morning.

Retina Macbook Pro 15' with 16GB ram and 512GB Flash storage
Magic Mouse and the mStand as well as keyboard.

Now I have to wait to receive it...hardest part.

jffluis

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Thanks for all the help, I made the order this morning.

Retina Macbook Pro 15' with 16GB ram and 512GB Flash storage
Magic Mouse and the mStand as well as keyboard.

Now I have to wait to receive it...hardest part.

I have the same configuration you ordered with the magic mouse too :D You will enjoy it for sure!:D:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.