Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm not saying the TBD is cheap, but I don't follow your recommendation at all. The equivalent Dell 27" display is $849 vs. $999 for the TBD which includes Thunderbolt for a one wire connection to Mac portables. Just having a clean setup with only one wire to unplug is worth the $150 to me. Plus you can get a refurb TBD for $829. So its not like the TBD is $500 extra or something.

What is the Dell equivalent monitor in your eyes?
In EU, the U2713HM is about 540$ and Apple TBD is about 900$ which is quite a large difference.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What is the Dell equivalent monitor in your eyes?
In EU, the U2713HM is about 540$ and Apple TBD is about 900$ which is quite a large difference.

U2713HM is exactly the one I was thinking was a close comparison. When I posted the Dell was $849 USD, today it shows $799.

Not sure why the EU pricing is so much better? Usually the opposite seems to be the case. :confused:

0eT4U.png

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
U2713HM is exactly the one I was thinking was a close comparison. When I posted the Dell was $849 USD, today it shows $799.

Not sure why the EU pricing is so much better? Usually the opposite seems to be the case. :confused:

Right, sorry. My USD conversion rate wasn't up to date.
It's 831$. Problem though, is that Apple TBD is 1200$ with current conversation rate so it's still a big difference between the two displays in EU :(

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It's 831$. Problem though, is that Apple TBD is 1200$ with current conversation rate so it's still a big difference between the two displays in EU :(

Fair enough... that gap does make the TBD less compelling. :)

pbmagnet4

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009

Do keep in mind that the docking capabilities on the TBD are a great feature to have. Even if it is "only" usb2 I use all my ports on the back of my TBD for peripherals that could never take advantage of usb3. For instance I love coming back from class and all I have to do to dock my 13in is plug two cords in. Then I have my FW to my DVC30 automatically connected, my Ethernet, my USB to audio in and out which hooks me up to my headphones and shotgun mic, iPhone 5 cord, and one open USB for whatever comes to mind. Im not sure what year MBP you have but the current ones have USB3 so you can always use the two built in for a HDD if need be cause that is the only use I can think of for usb3 for the average user.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
For me, I think that I need to be split anyhow - slow USB2 periperals like keyboard, mouse, memory sticks, etc, and USB3 for hard drives and usb3 compatible USB drives. Works for me!

Do keep in mind that the docking capabilities on the TBD are a great feature to have. Even if it is "only" usb2 I use all my ports on the back of my TBD for peripherals that could never take advantage of usb3. For instance I love coming back from class and all I have to do to dock my 13in is plug two cords in. Then I have my FW to my DVC30 automatically connected, my Ethernet, my USB to audio in and out which hooks me up to my headphones and shotgun mic, iPhone 5 cord, and one open USB for whatever comes to mind. Im not sure what year MBP you have but the current ones have USB3 so you can always use the two built in for a HDD if need be cause that is the only use I can think of for usb3 for the average user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.