Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Hi, I've read that Early 2008 model MacBook Pros can boot into the Hardware test while pressing the D key on the keyboard without the disc in the drive (or was it the F2 key). I've also read that lots of people succeed doing it. Why does my MBP not do that? Thank you.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Apple told me you don't need the disk… Results may vary I guess.

IIRC, starting with the unibody models, the Apple Hardware Test could be done without the install/application discs by holding down the "D" key as a pre-boot option BUT only if the original installation of the OS was present. So if you had Leopard and then installed to Snow Leopard, AHT would not load and would need to be done through the discs.

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
IIRC, starting with the unibody models, the Apple Hardware Test could be done without the install/application discs by holding down the "D" key as a pre-boot option BUT only if the original installation of the OS was present. So if you had Leopard and then installed to Snow Leopard, AHT would not load and would need to be done through the discs.

Yupp, I think you're right ;)

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
OK, cool. So I'm guessing since I upgraded to Snow Leopard, did a zillion Time Machine restores, and installing a new HD, I'm not getting the AHT?

Oh well, I still have my disc. :):)

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Just incase anyone was reading this now (even though it is old), all you have to do is install CPU Help Files that come with the computer. My optical drive refused to read the disc (it does that with some perfectly fine disc), I used Remote Disc with a MacBook to do that.

phenry

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
Just incase anyone was reading this now (even though it is old), all you have to do is install CPU Help Files that come with the computer. My optical drive refused to read the disc (it does that with some perfectly fine disc), I used Remote Disc with a MacBook to do that.

Thanks, Anon. Same problem with optical drive on a 2006 white iMac. I used Remote Disc to read the Install Disc 1 (OS X 10.4.7) from another iMac, and ran the CPU Help Files.mpkg installer but still couldn't get the AHT to show up on restart. Tried starting up with the D key, F2, and fn + F2 but no luck. Any ideas why it didn't work? Which key did you use to get it to work?

Because it's an iMac I guess?

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Thanks, Anon. Same problem with optical drive on a 2006 white iMac. I used Remote Disc to read the Install Disc 1 (OS X 10.4.7) from another iMac, and ran the CPU Help Files.mpkg installer but still couldn't get the AHT to show up on restart. Tried starting up with the D key, F2, and fn + F2 but no luck. Any ideas why it didn't work? Which key did you use to get it to work?

Because it's an iMac I guess?

I believe it was the D key. But I think the reason it won't work on your iMac is because it is the 2006 white iMac (I think some of the older models don't work with this, sorry :()

phenry

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
I believe it was the D key. But I think the reason it won't work on your iMac is because it is the 2006 white iMac (I think some of the older models don't work with this, sorry :()

Hey, thanks. It was an interesting exercise anyway, activating Remote Disk, and running the install. This iMac is only emergency backup anyway, and I guess TechTool hardware test might be as good as AHT.

Appreciate your reply.:cool:

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Hey, thanks. It was an interesting exercise anyway, activating Remote Disk, and running the install. This iMac is only emergency backup anyway, and I guess TechTool hardware test might be as good as AHT.

Appreciate your reply.:cool:

Anytime :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.