Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:56 PM   #1
WizardHunt
macrumors Demi-God

Questions about the new Fusion Drive in the new iMacs

I am considering getting a new iMac soon. I need to know whether or not the option with the Fusion Drive will work for me or not. Some advice would be appreciated. Here are my questions below:

1.) Often I will put too much software on my iMac and will end up reformating and starting over so to speak, but I am not clear how this will affect me when reformating the Macintosh HD. If I order the 3TB Fusion Drive. Is that a 3 TB 7200 rpm HD plus a 128GB SSD? How does one format both of them as one drive?

2.) The main applications and OS/X is installed on the fusion drive but when the drive is on the desktop, it only shows (on my sisters iMac with a fusion drive) as one single drive. How will I know if I am putting what applications or programs on just the SSD drive or flash drive as they call it?

3.) I don't want to separate the main HD and the 128GB Flash drive but not sure how this combining works. Can anyone explain it in more detail?

4.) if the flash drive(128 GB SSD) fails will that kill the drive on the Mac since it is a combined HD setup? If so that does not seem like a good setup at all. Any ideas?

If you reply to this post, you can reply only to question 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or all of them.
Bought: 2014 27" Retina iMac 4.0GHz i7,32GB Ram, 1TB SSD Drive,M295X 4Gb - Express Shipping coming Oct 22, 10:30 AM PST
WizardHunt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac