Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:56 PM   #1
braddicted2mac
macrumors member

Mac Keeper

Does this program really work? I have a 2012 iMac and i am wondering if its worth it or is it more of a spam program??
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:57 PM   #2
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddicted2mac View Post
Does this program really work? I have a 2012 iMac and i am wondering if its worth it or is it more of a spam program??
You don't need it.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:04 PM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddicted2mac View Post
It's definitely not worth it and I highly recommend you avoid such apps. You don't need to "maintain" your Mac and you don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well. Some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some can even degrade, rather than improve system performance.

Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Caches exist to improve performance, so deleting them isn't advisable in most cases.

Many of the tasks performed by these apps should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention. You can use Maintidget to see the last time these scripts were run.
Five Mac maintenance myths
Performance Tips For Mac OS X
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store