Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:28 PM   #1
bvr04
macrumors newbie

MBP/iMac synchronized

I currently run my photography business on an iMac. I plan to do more traveling this year, so I need to take my work with me. I bought the MBP and am awaiting its arrival. Is there a way that I can have both computers be exactly the same? As in, similar to iCloud, but for the entire computer? I move files from File A to File B on my MBP and it automatically changes on iMac?

Or am I asking way way too much?
bvr04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:47 PM   #2
duervo
macrumors 6502a

Microsoft SkyDrive or Dropbox will let you sync files across connected devices like you mention. Just save your files in the folders you've selected for synchronization.

They both also have apps for iOS.

I'm partial to SkyDrive, because I got a free storage upgrade to 25GB, but either should work fine for what you want to do.
duervo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:32 PM   #3
bvr04
macrumors newbie

I was hoping to not have to keep everything in Dropbox or the like. I'm even wanting to have, for example iBank, being run on both computers and synced each time one is changed. (I told you, I may be asking way too much!)
bvr04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:30 PM   #4
inaka
macrumors 6502

This greatly depends on the storage capacity you need.

What I do is that I partition the hard drive on my home computer into one for the OS/Applications and then another called Client Files (let's say).

Then on the MacBook Pro I do the same thing, two partitions, one for the OS/Applications and then another called Client Files.

Then, when I'm ready to travel, I connect the MacBook Pro to the desktop computer via a firewire cable and start it in the target Disk Mode (hold down "T" at startup on the MBP and it will show up as a hard drive your iMac's desktop.

Then I use a program like SuperDuper to sync the two partitions and copy all info from the iMac *TO* the MBP.

After I go and travel, I simply use SuperDuper to sync the files *FROM* the MBP to the iMac. Thus, all client files are always kept up to date and in sync.

Again, this only works if you have a large capacity on your MBP, etc.

Another option is to simply lug the client files as an external HD on your travels, while having a backup of all of those files at home as well.
inaka is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro