Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
After wrestling with 3 bad 4s' in a row, the last one being out of warranty I finally just said the hell with it and did a contract upgrade. I thought long and hard and fondled and caressed many other phones, but in the end I went back to the ip5, like that ugly but faithful girlfriend.

I considered the s3 but man I don't know what it is but I can't get used to android for some reason. I would have accepted android sans contract though if the nexus 4 was in stock, but wasn't willing to wait that long. I also very very much considered a windows phone, but not having voice driving directions is a huge deal breaker for me, maybe next year.

Even though apple maps is freakin horrible I really dig the way it integrates into the os and even the lockscreen, I just hope they improve it as its left me in some weird places ( ask me about the time it had me park half a mile from the store I was navigating to and actually told me to proceed on foot thru a field and a stream!). So I'm feeling a bit guilty for choosing what is now the "grandma phone", but its solid and does what I need. Anyone else annoyed that they didn't pack a freakin sim slot opener, what's up with that?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Anyone else annoyed that they didn't pack a freakin sim slot opener, what's up with that?

Really? Didn't know they stopped doing that with the iPhone 5.

Anyway there's no need to feel bad about it. You said it yourself, it does what you want and that's what matters.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
Really? Didn't know they stopped doing that with the iPhone 5.

Anyway there's no need to feel bad about it. You said it yourself, it does what you want and that's what matters.

They packed SIM tray opening with the previous iPhones? O_O I didn't even know Apple had those until I requested a replacement SIM tray and was told I would be getting a tray opener as well.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I travel weekly and personally have yet to have Apple Maps screw me over. But you can always download Google Maps now if you'd like.

I'm just so spoiled by Retina. My G3, Nexus 4 and Note 2 just look so washed out by comparison.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
I travel weekly and personally have yet to have Apple Maps screw me over. But you can always download Google Maps now if you'd like.

I'm just so spoiled by Retina. My G3, Nexus 4 and Note 2 just look so washed out by comparison.

i agree. my buddy has a note 2 and the display looks like crap side by side.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

Note ii looks washed out? The reality distortion field is extra strong with this one. Washed out is about as far from the truth as you can get to describe the note ii. Even people that don't like superamoled displays would laugh at you for calling one washed out.

Last edited:

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Note ii looks washed out? The reality distortion field is extra strong with this one. Washed out is about as far from the truth as you can get to describe the note ii. Even people that don't like superamoled displays would laugh at you for calling one washed out.

No accounting for (lack) of taste. I think it looks very washed out and the color spectrum is horrid. I constantly find myself switching from Dynamic to Movie mode depending on what im using it for, whereas the iPhone 5 looks great in all modes as-is. I'm certainly not alone in this regard, although its obvious many owners are desperate for validation and choose to ignore this fact. If you don't mind constant fiddling with the settings, I suppose the Note 2 is passable.

The iPhone 5 retina screen quality remains on top. All owners of both and reviewers of both agree.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I think they figured most folks already have paper clips at home.

Lol, yeah probably. It was annoying because I used my wife's line for contract renewal and the guys at radio shack screwed it up so her SIM card was inactivated. I went to her work with a new SIM to fix it, but realized the ip5 box had no sim tool. You would think a bank would have a lot of paper clips, but for some reason they only had larger ones which didn't fit in the hole.

On a side note they had a sale for $150 for the ip5, and they gave me $214 for my broken 4s so I actually left with a credit, I may use that and get the 32gb one later this week.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I also very very much considered a windows phone, but not having voice driving directions is a huge deal breaker for me, maybe next year.

Nokia Lumia 920. Great maps, with voice guidance. I found it to be better than google maps in some ways, not as good in others. Let's not even talk about iOS maps.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

Yea a common battlecry amongst some of th hyperfans of Apple happens to be "oversaturation". Now people are saying SAMOLED is washed out? Which is it?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
i agree. my buddy has a note 2 and the display looks like crap side by side.

Well, my wife and a buddy of mine, and millions of other folks have the iPhone, and their screen looks tiny and undersaturated by comparison.

I have no proof to back that up either, so we are back at square one.

I'm just so spoiled by Retina.

I would agree, but the screen is so tiny and cluttered with icons that I can't even tell. Now, it the iPhone's screen was passable as a smartphone screen, or even something anyone would want to use for long periods of time, then maybe it would be amazing. But staring at small screens isn't good for anyone's health.

Agreed!

No accounting for (lack) of taste. I think it looks very washed out and the color spectrum is horrid. I constantly find myself switching from Dynamic to Movie mode depending on what im using it for, whereas the iPhone 5 looks great in all modes as-is. I'm certainly not alone in this regard, although its obvious many owners are desperate for validation and choose to ignore this fact. If you don't mind constant fiddling with the settings, I suppose the Note 2 is passable.

The iPhone 5 retina screen quality remains on top. All owners of both and reviewers of both agree.

It's okay to just say that it's an opinion. I never understood why some need to loosely substantiate opinions. If you think the iPhone 5 screen is better than anything else on the market no matter what anyone else says then that's just fine.

The facts? It'll come down to personal preference.

it's whatever makes the iphone screen better

Agreed!

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I prefer amoled displays over LCD but as far as LCD displays goes the nexus 4, droid DNA/HTC butterfly ( this one especially) one x, and atrix HD all sport better LCD panels than the iPhone 5.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
My factory unlocked 4 and 4S both came with one.

Apparently in the US the iPhones don't come with the sim tray tool(not anymore at least). Not sure if all other countries have the tool in the box but both my 4 and 4S came with one in Canada.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Apparently in the US the iPhones don't come with the sim tray tool(not anymore at least). Not sure if all other countries have the tool in the box but both my 4 and 4S came with one in Canada.

Same here, my Canadian iPhone 4 and 4S came with the tool

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

I always get the feeling that you feel superior because you own Apple products. Your comments always seem to be filled with subtle insults. A Super Amoled being washed out is the most absurd thing I've heard today.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
We bought a iP5 for my kid at university - it did come with the removal tool, but it wasn't obvious in the packaging. I suspect some might not see it and inadvertently throw it away.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I always get the feeling that you feel superior because you own Apple products. Your comments always seem to be filled with subtle insults. A Super Amoled being washed out is the most absurd thing I've heard today.

I can't help what you feel.

I feel fortunate to be able to purchase whatever tech I want, for any reason or no reason at all, and do so frequently. Its all a business expense to me and even those items I choose not to keep I just recycle into my company inventory and someone else gets to use new stuff. That's one of the benefits of owning your own company.

I feel equally fortunate to not be in a position where I must choose one platform versus another. I just swap out SIMS (or IMEI numbers in the case of CDMA gear) and can pick and choose whatever device I feel like using one day versus the next. Some days, I carry as many as 2 tablets and 3 different phones with me just because I know I'll have downtime to "play" with them.

But I feel MOST fortunate to always have my Apple gear at my disposal. Since I get to set my own rules, and choose whatever device I want whenever I want, I choose Apple more often than not. I've got a few Android-powered devices that held my attention beyond the novelty of animated wallpapers. For example, I find the Asus Transformer to be one of the better hybrid tablets/laptops out there and would really like to see it give Microsoft a run for the money in that category. I carry it far more often than I do a full laptop (and I have a Lenovo Yoga I just purchased a few weeks ago). And there are some things I like more about the Transformer than I do my well-traveled MBA.

If that makes me sound superior to your ears, then its likely because we have very different points of reference and context for our opinions. I'll let you decide if one is superlative versus the other. Ultimately, how you feel after reading something I've posted is of no relevance to me. I don't seek my validation from others.

Last edited:

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I can't help what you feel.

I feel fortunate to be able to purchase whatever tech I want, for any reason or no reason at all, and do so frequently. Its all a business expense to me and even those items I choose not to keep I just recycle into my company inventory and someone else gets to use new stuff. That's one of the benefits of owning your own company.

I feel equally fortunate to not be in a position where I must choose one platform versus another. I just swap out SIMS (or IMEI numbers in the case of CDMA gear) and can pick and choose whatever device I feel like using one day versus the next. Some days, I carry as many as 2 tablets and 3 different phones with me just because I know I'll have downtime to "play" with them.

But I feel MOST fortunate to always have my Apple gear at my disposal. Since I get to set my own rules, and choose whatever device I want whenever I want, I choose Apple more often than not. I've got a few Android-powered devices that held my attention beyond the novelty of animated wallpapers. For example, I find the Asus Transformer to be one of the better hybrid tablets/laptops out there and would really like to see it give Microsoft a run for the money in that category. I carry it far more often than I do a full laptop (and I have a Lenovo Yoga I just purchased a few weeks ago). And there are some things I like more about the Transformer than I do my well-traveled MBA.

If that makes me sound superior to your ears, then its likely because we have very different points of reference and context for our opinions. I'll let you decide if one is superlative versus the other. Ultimately, how you feel after reading something I've posted is of no relevance to me. I don't seek my validation from others.

If it was of no relevance to you, then why write such a long response? I'll bold your original comment where I feel you have a superiority complex:

No accounting for (lack) of taste. I think it looks very washed out and the color spectrum is horrid. I constantly find myself switching from Dynamic to Movie mode depending on what im using it for, whereas the iPhone 5 looks great in all modes as-is. I'm certainly not alone in this regard, although its obvious many owners are desperate for validation and choose to ignore this fact. If you don't mind constant fiddling with the settings (What does this have to do with screen quality anyways), I suppose the Note 2 is passable.

And I'm not basing what I say off of only this comment. I've seen several posts from you where you talk about iPhone users being more educated than Android users. Sure, it's a statistic, but I don't see why you would bring it up other than for bragging rights. Especially considering those statistics are for ALL Android phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.