Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
Why do people INSIST that products are released based on a cycle. Like every fall, every spring, every xxx.

Products are released based on market conditions, ability to have new products with enough new whiz bangs, manufacturing, etc.

Buyers do not buy just because it is xx months since the last one. They buy because they see some value to get it, or upgrade to it. Yes, some buyers would try to buy a new version every few months, but that is not the majority. After all, Apple's plan is to sell multiple MILLIONS of units, not a few thousand to "fanboys".

Bottom line, it drives me totally nuts that most rumors are tied to a "cycle".

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Why do people INSIST that products are released based on a cycle. Like every fall, every spring, every xxx.

Products are released based on market conditions, ability to have new products with enough new whiz bangs, manufacturing, etc.

Buyers do not buy just because it is xx months since the last one. They buy because they see some value to get it, or upgrade to it. Yes, some buyers would try to buy a new version every few months, but that is not the majority. After all, Apple's plan is to sell multiple MILLIONS of units, not a few thousand to "fanboys".

Bottom line, it drives me totally nuts that most rumors are tied to a "cycle".

Thats how intelligent people shop when considering large purchases...

Lemme ask, when you buy a car (assuming you are old enough to drive)...do you look at its cycle? Would you buy a 2011 when the 2012s are coming out without any discount incentives? Would researching and waiting a few months for the 2012 model car for better resale and features make you a "Toyota, or AUDI" fanboy?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I want more discussions, more rumors & shorter cycles.

It's a great way for Apple to stay on top, and fills my desire to enjoy new & different products.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
I like it,

When I am buying an apple product for a large amount of money I want to buy the latest one and if I know that they will refresh a product line in say 2-3 months I might consider waiting for the new one or buying the "older" model for a cheaper price.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
The whole basis of this forum to begin with is to guess and speculate. Hence the name Macrumors.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I am so over the speculation... I hope apple releases at random intervals just to keep everyone guessing. It's clear they deviate from the norm... And no one knows when those deviations will occur so let's not worry about it.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
Thats how intelligent people shop when considering large purchases...

Lemme ask, when you buy a car (assuming you are old enough to drive)...do you look at its cycle? Would you buy a 2011 when the 2012s are coming out without any discount incentives? Would researching and waiting a few months for the 2012 model car for better resale and features make you a "Toyota, or AUDI" fanboy?

The car business is not the same. The dates for new cars are known well in advance.

As to speculation on new ipad, phones, I understand the desire.

What is really old are folks that INSIST there is a release cycle/schedule. I am saying there are way more factors than number of months since last release that determine when newer models come out. And for those to continue to discuss this based on timing factors are off base.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Multiple threads are getting ridiculous though. I do not mind speculating but guess I'll just start skipping.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
There are all sorts of marking issues, suppliers and other sellers who have a big stake in cycles - so they know what and how much inventory, etc.
Autos have in theory a cycle but I'll bet you can buy 2014 vehicles in the next couple of months.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
How many are tired of discussions about a "release cycle"?
If you're tired of a topic then don't click on the thread. How does creating another thread on the topic that you can't stand help? :confused: :rolleyes:

You can tilt at a windmill but that won't get rid of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.