Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I had the SGS3 before the iphone 5 was announced. The sole reason why i used the SGS3 was coz I couldnt stand the 3.5" iPhone screens. I much prefer iOS, but I still miss SGS3's screen sometimes... For those who own Android, will u guys buy an iPhone with 4.8~5" screen?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
my answer would be hell no and my brother who part of the reason he left Apple was the screen size would be no as well.

Reason being is we both really like how we can replace the stock apps with what we want. We both hate the iOS keyboard and so on.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I'm quite sure there's more factors than screen size alone. For both parties.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I didn't switch to Android because of the screen size back in the day (I went from the iPhone 3g to the HTC Hero) so I doubt any larger screen size would sway me to switch to iOS primarily.

Like Rodimus above, I wanted more freedom to change what I didn't like about the software on my phone instead of being forced to use what I was provided with. SwiftKey is one such example of an application that I use over the stock keyboard on Android. I'm stuck with the keyboard Apple provide on iOS with no easy way to replace it.

If Apple do offer a variety of screen sizes, it will be a good thing for iPhone users either way. :)

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I'm quite sure there's more factors than screen size alone. For both parties.
Exactly. iOS I find is clunky to get a lot of tasks done. Things like the lack of a dedicated back button, no file system access, and no ability to replace stock apps make it inferior for my use.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Not anymore, I've gotten too used to the simple freedoms on Android that iOS simply doesn't have. Being able to change default apps, installing apps from outside the App Store and access to the file system have become routine things I do on my Nexus 4.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
It's not only the screen size for me. Also need the same battery life my Note II gives me, rounded edges for it to rest confortably in my hands and the option to change default apps. Then I'll consider going back to iPhone.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
No. I wouldn't want a 5" screen nor would Apple ever make one. Why? Cause it doesn't fit in your hand comfortably.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
No. I wouldn't want a 5" screen nor would Apple ever make one. Why? Cause it doesn't fit in your hand comfortably.

Very subjective. I have small ahnds and my Note fits quite comfortably. If you meant one-handed operation then it's quite different.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
iOS would need a revamp. If Apple put out a 5" iphone and I picked it up to see the same wall of icons I've been looking at forever now I'd probably barf....

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
iOS would need a revamp. If Apple put out a 5" iphone and I picked it up to see the same wall of icons I've been looking at forever now I'd probably barf....

There are so many ways to make the homescreen better, but to be honest, I don't expect any changes for iOS7...

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
I think iOS7 will do exactly that

I doubt it. Anticipate the exact same design as the 5 with only a minor update to iOS6 (bug fixes mostly.) Apple will add one feature that can't be run on any other previous iPhone, forcing people to upgrade if they want it. This is Apple's MO since day 1

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I think iOS7 will do exactly that

iOS 8 maybe, but I don't expect a huge jump in software with iOS 7.

Mostly because of the amount of time between now and release, which is about 8 months. Overhauling an entire OS is not something that can be done quickly.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
If Apple made a 5" phone I'd be VERY happy. As it stands I'm planning on "switching" to a larger non-Apple phone.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
There are far more differences between the two than screen size to consider. I highly doubt Apple would win back all the iPhone customers who switched to Android by merely bumping up the screen size.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
At this point in time, no. Android just does more, and more things better, too. The few advantages that iOS has is ultimately negligible.

If iOS 7 finally brings the flexibility users deserve, maybe. I don't foresee iOS 7 bringing what we want, though.

Either way, for dedicated iOS users, an option for a larger screen would be a big deal, and I'd be happy Apple is, at last, finally getting wise to the market.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I probably wouldn't switch back unless there was a major overhaul to iOS. In its current state, it's just lacking way too many features that I need/want on a mobile device. I don't see anything big happening anytime soon, though; I mean, things are more or less the same as they were in 2007.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Well coming from someone who has two Samsung Galaxy Note 2, sure why not. I was supposed to use the money on the iPad mini LTE but iOS 6 was disappointing and Retina is around the corner and no way I'm paying $300 for an iPod.

It's not because of the Size but as I've been saying as a Mac/iTunes user I want my library on the go but if I had to pick just one, no I love Jelly Bean too much.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Screen size made me switch. OS flexibility makes me stay.

Apple would need a larger screen size and a more open OS. But neither will happen.

----------

Very subjective. I have small ahnds and my Note fits quite comfortably. If you meant one-handed operation then it's quite different.

Well he did say "hand" and not "hands."

I have fairly large hands. And one handed use with my Nexus 4 isn't comfortable. With 2 hands it is fine. But in my mind, even the un-comfortability of the 4.7" screen with one hand isn't a huge deal. And if the GS4 has a 5" 1080P screen, I will still get it.

But make no mistake, "flagship" Android devices, which are all about 4.5"+ now, are not nearly as comfortable to use with one hand as an iPhone. And considering Apple is all about a great user experience and maximum usability (for the most part), I don't see them leaving 4" anytime soon.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
After using Android for the last 3 or 4 months I would find it very difficult to go back to iOS.

While I've never left iOS for my own reasons, many of my former iPhone loving friends did. Most are using either Galaxy S3's or Note 2's.

After reading this rumor today I asked the eight men that work with me. All said they're very happy with the way Android works with their Macs & none have an interest in iOS.

That says a lot, coming from die hard Apple loving Mac users.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I'm getting a little sick of the one-handed use argument.

Yes, an iPhone can be used one handed by most people. But a lot of people would be more than happy to trade off one handed use for a larger screen. And many already have. It's not like if we can't use it one handed we won't be able to use it at all. My eyes hurt more when using my iPhone than my hands do when using a larger phone. I'm generally a landscape user anyway, and Apple's idea of a 4 inch screen does nothing to enhance the landscape experience.

I say keep the 4 inch screen an option, but release some larger screens alongside it. I'm done letting apple decide what I want, they should let people decide on their own options. Both would sell.

With some little additions to iOS and a larger screen, I'd never even look at other devices.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm getting a little sick of the one-handed use argument.

Yup. We're talking about mere millimeters more to reach with the thumb usually. Millimeters. It's not impossible to adjust. And, as you and others have mentioned, the benefits gained with a larger screen are easily worth it.

I've said this numerous times now: the things dedicated iPhone users cling onto are becoming either negligible, petty, or very specific. The fear of anything non-Apple also tends to cloud judgment. We've witnessed it so many times before.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.