Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoochrulez55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
ontario canada
Hi all. I have a macbook white unibody from mid 2010. Ive had the computer for just over 2.5 years and the battery is starting to diminish. Its at 80% capacity and 281 cycles.I am going to be keeping the computer for years to come and would like to know if i should replace it now. battery status is at: Normal at the moment.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Did you exercise the battery every now and then by discharging it completely?

• BATTERY INFORMATION
  • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
  • AC POWER
  • CALIBRATION
  • BATTERY LIFESPAN
  • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
  • CHARGING
  • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
  • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
  • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi all. I have a macbook white unibody from mid 2010. Ive had the computer for just over 2.5 years and the battery is starting to diminish. Its at 80% capacity and 281 cycles.I am going to be keeping the computer for years to come and would like to know if i should replace it now. battery status is at: Normal at the moment.
Batteries are consumable items, so it's expected they will deplete after a while. If you have AppleCare coverage and your battery health declines below 80% before 1000 cycles, Apple may replace it free if they determine it's defective. Otherwise, replace it at your own expense when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
Calibrate it first. Then start looking for a replacement.
The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

hoochrulez55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
ontario canada
Thanks everyone. Im replacing it on my own via ifixit because its out of warranty. Im ordering what i need soon. And yes i calibrate it monthly. I cNt believe apple doesnt cover items like this!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks everyone. Im replacing it on my own via ifixit because its out of warranty. Im ordering what i need soon. And yes i calibrate it monthly. I cNt believe apple doesnt cover items like this!
Read my last post. You do not need to calibrate your battery. Batteries are only covered in case of defects, as they are consumable items.

hoochrulez55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
ontario canada
Read my last post. You do not need to calibrate your battery. Batteries are only covered in case of defects, as they are consumable items.

its about time for a replacement regardless.

i have a memory question. if i buy two of these chips, will it fit my macbook? im trying to double the stock 2X1GB, to 2X2GB.

http://www.memorydepot.com/SOD1066NS3C72GBN.htm

my macbooks specs:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-13-polycarbonate-unibody-mid-2010-specs.html

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
its about time for a replacement regardless.

i have a memory question. if i buy two of these chips, will it fit my macbook? im trying to double the stock 2X1GB, to 2X2GB.
Yes, it should work. You can install up to 8GB on your model. Crucial is also a good choice for RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.