Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:59 PM   #1
moonman239
macrumors 6502a

Maybe Apple can make some changes to improve the iPhone's Internet speed

I don't know if this is possible, but maybe Apple can help the carriers make Internet downloading faster by making changes on its end.

I'm sort of picturing something like this, although it probably won't come to reality: You're out in the middle of nowhere, and you're on AT&T's EDGE network. No problem, the iPhone 6 makes EDGE look like 3G.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:01 PM   #2
gr8whtd0pe
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to gr8whtd0pe
iPhone 6? Att is killing the Edge network as well, so I guess they are doing something about it's speed.
gr8whtd0pe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:01 PM   #3
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Not possible. Apple can't make its phones access data faster than it is coming to the phone.
MisterKeeks is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:07 PM   #4
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

I think rim had something like that on their servers end.
It kinda compressed the data and made the device use less bandwidth on a average compared to other phones.
End result lower quality pictures,audio, pixelated video, reduced size and images websites etc...
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman239 View Post
You're out in the middle of nowhere, and you're on AT&T's EDGE network. No problem, the iPhone 6 makes EDGE look like 3G.

I believe that's called Satellite service.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:10 PM   #6
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Since LTE is already so godlike fast, u need something faster than 50-70mbps?

Not like it will make a difference in web browsing speeds..
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:15 PM   #7
moonman239
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
I believe that's called Satellite service.
Try asking Siri for directions, or for anything for that matter, while driving in an EDGE area.

On that note, every time I take my phone camping, I always seem to be able to get cell service, sometimes (if not always) even HSDPA+.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:02 PM   #8
yeah
macrumors 6502a

We need Apple to buy a national carrier and place 6G on it

But seriously, we need all carriers who hold the iPhone to launch LTE Advanced, NOW
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:19 AM   #9
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
I think rim had something like that on their servers end.
It was called "very high, very lossy compression."

And that was perfectly fine in the days when phone web browsers weren't expected to fully render web pages, it was okay for smartphones not render emails formatted in rich text, and non-retina displays were the norm. But it won't cut the mustard now.

It also turned the phone into a brick every time RIM's servers went offline. Imagine what would happen if an iCloud outage meant you couldn't access ANY web pages, e-mails, maps, or any app that required internet access? I mean, people already use Steve's name in vain, and predict Apple's demise and threaten to go Android whenever iMessage goes on the fritz.

The only thing Apple can do to "make it faster" is to lean on the carriers to roll out blanket LTE coverage across their networks ASAP. But it's not their call. It's up to the carriers to do that.

And in any case, as long as there's a usage cap on data plans, faster data speeds aren't going to be as useful as you think. I get close to my monthly cap a lot quicker now that I have LTE.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:05 PM   #10
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
I don't know if this is possible
It's not. If the carriers could magically improve their networks without massive capital investments don't you think they'd do so? They're in it for the profit and not having to upgrade and charging more for the same infrastructure would mean a bigger gain.

Quote:
No problem, the iPhone 6 makes EDGE look like 3G.
at&t already did that with HSPA+. Look, it's 4G!

While we're at it, have the iPhone 6 make me a cup of coffee as well...
takeshi74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:33 PM   #11
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

What you're talking about isn't physically possible, it's like saying you get poor reception in an area so a carrier should "just make it work" when you're out of range of a tower.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:45 PM   #12
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
It was called "very high, very lossy compression."

And that was perfectly fine in the days when phone web browsers weren't expected to fully render web pages, it was okay for smartphones not render emails formatted in rich text, and non-retina displays were the norm. But it won't cut the mustard now.

It also turned the phone into a brick every time RIM's servers went offline. Imagine what would happen if an iCloud outage meant you couldn't access ANY web pages, e-mails, maps, or any app that required internet access? I mean, people already use Steve's name in vain, and predict Apple's demise and threaten to go Android whenever iMessage goes on the fritz.

The only thing Apple can do to "make it faster" is to lean on the carriers to roll out blanket LTE coverage across their networks ASAP. But it's not their call. It's up to the carriers to do that.

And in any case, as long as there's a usage cap on data plans, faster data speeds aren't going to be as useful as you think. I get close to my monthly cap a lot quicker now that I have LTE.
I hear you.
Good thing that dinosaur tech and RIM are slowly dying.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone