Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 23, 2012, 03:07 PM   #26
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwenechanga View Post
My situation is pretty unique, so I don't know if it'll be helpful to anyone else, but here's what I've done so far:
1. I have a Google apps account through my work, setup to show up as exchange on my iPhone.
2. I have the Google apps sync tool on my PC, which syncs my outlook contacts to my Google account.
3. I cannot install the iCloud sync tool because I have Windows XP (still the most common business OS, so until my clients stop using it...), and the sync tool requires Vista, 7 or 2008. I do have a test server I run 2008 on, so I synced that installation of outlook (hey, it's not a real server) to my iCloud account, then exported the contacts to CSV, copied that over to my PC and imported to outlook.

My Outlook contacts auto-synced to Google, and from there into my Exchange account on my iPhone within a minute. Now everyone is on my iPhone finally, under my Exchange account. I then used Google's "find & merge duplicates" tool to do just that, so everything is beautiful. As long as I never change jobs and give up this email address, of course.
You should now be able to take that master list and import it directly to iCloud via iCloud.com.
Old May 23, 2012, 03:14 PM   #27
mwenechanga
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyotoma View Post
You should now be able to take that master list and import it directly to iCloud via iCloud.com.
OK, I was thinking that as well. My concern now is duplication. I probably have 30 contacts in iCloud, and about 200 in Outlook. Since I exported and then imported and then merged duplicates, won't I wind up with duplicate contacts in iCloud when I import?
What I'm thinking is that I should export my contacts here to CSV, delete all contacts on the machine with iCloud sync, then import the CSV to Outlook. Does that make sense?
[edit]
It totally worked, my iCloud contacts are now matched to my exchange contacts. They won't stay in sync since it's still a manual export/import, but way better than before!
Additionally, I turned off itunes syncing contacts since they sinced over-the-air, which means I'm down to 2 identical address books, and I'll just ignore the second one.
Kyotoma, I still think that "easy" was overstating it, but you were right that is at least possible. Thanks!

Last edited by mwenechanga; May 23, 2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: update on question
mwenechanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 03:34 PM   #28
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwenechanga View Post
OK, I was thinking that as well. My concern now is duplication. I probably have 30 contacts in iCloud, and about 200 in Outlook. Since I exported and then imported and then merged duplicates, won't I wind up with duplicate contacts in iCloud when I import?
What I'm thinking is that I should export my contacts here to CSV, delete all contacts on the machine with iCloud sync, then import the CSV to Outlook. Does that make sense?
Yes. Or, if your 30 existing iCloud contacts are already part of your Outlook contacts, then just go ahead and delete them via the browser. Then import CSV.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:31 PM   #29
1asked2risk
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joalul View Post
I just migrated from PC to Mac, and it can be done, through iTunes.

First, open your address book on your mac and create a new group (I called mine John's iPhone). Close the address book.

Open iTunes, go to the "Info" tab. Check the box next to "Sync Address Book Contacts" and click "selected groups" and then your iPhone group (mine was John's iPhone).

Below this, check the box next to "Add contacts created outside of groups on this iPhone to:" and make sure the group is your iPhone group (John's iPhone).

Click the Sync button. After it's finished, all your contacts will be in your address book.

Of course, ALWAYS have a backup just in case. Hope this helps...

Worked like a champ! Thanks again!
1asked2risk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:26 PM   #30
joseangel
macrumors newbie

Angry Cant seem to import iphone contacts to my MacBookPro

I activated my iPhone 5 without a computer, neither mac or pc, so in theory my phone's in isolation. Ive used the cloud to install previously purchased apps and music. I want to import my contacts to my mac but cant find a viable way, all options via iTunes would erase the info on my phone. My contacts stay constant between my iPad, iPod touch, iPhone 5 but not with my mac. wtf??? Help please!
joseangel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 09:24 PM   #31
viperGTS
macrumors 6502a

Seems like every May, this thread comes back from the dead....
viperGTS is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone