Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:22 AM   #551
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasanahmad View Post
Apple should stop focusing on hardware design for a while and shift focus on software design. since 2006, its the 6th consecutive year of relatively the same UI and design. It worked well in 2006 but others have caught up and gone beyond what Apple did in 2006. iOS 6 will likely be my last iOS device if the useability of other designs is not implemented by iOS 7. I don't think this is my sentiment alone, this is a sentiment of millions of iOS users who are quickly finding out they like other platforms better than iOS not just in features but in convenience and simplicity as well.
Stopped reading after you said that the iPhone was announced / released in 2006.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:33 AM   #552
Dyn-tec
macrumors member

Is everybody really that upset...if every 6months or even every month Apple comes out with a better design...just practice some self control and upgrade when it makes sense.

Is it really that big of a deal that everyone knows you have the "latest" model?? If you like the improvements of the new model and it is worth the price than buy it, if not than wait 18mths and buy the ipad 8.

When you bought the ipad (insert generation # here), you probably weren't thinking, "I will buy this now so I have the best technology for 1 year." You bought it because you liked the features, size, etc...

I, for one, encourage Apple to make all the new models they can...if there isn't vast improvements in every generation, their profits won't outweigh the RND put into the new models, and they will have to add more lag time between them.

I have the 3 without retina, do I wish I had retina and faster processor, yes, is it worth it to me to sell mine and buy the latest and greatest, no. If in 1 week they cut the thickness and weight in-half and double the processor and resolution for the same price, will I buy a new one, yes.

Ok that's enough of my ramblings...
Dyn-tec is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:29 AM   #553
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ate8 View Post
The issue is this:

1) Apple releases a new faster, more powerful device with more memory and better graphics.
2) Developers realize this, and update their apps to support better hardware.
3) You're "perfectly fine" last generation device quickly no longer supports the newest apps because they aren't optimized for your device.

Whereas if Apple didn't release a new model every 6 months, your device would support that SAME EXACT APP for a much longer time period, because developers wouldn't be updating to support a newer device.

If all you did was download all your apps on day 1 and never update them, then of course your last generation device wouldn't "simply stop working", but the problem is developers want to support the latest and greatest, and your device becomes obsolete quicker.

I stopped using my first gen iPad about 6 months ago because about 30% of the apps I had just crashed on it (it was only TWO generations old at that point). My device wasn't the latest and greatest, so developers weren't optimizing their apps to run on it.

The simple fact is, if Apple switches to a 6 month development cycle, it will make devices obsolete at a faster pace.
Developer will have to adjust too though. If we do look at a 6 month development cycle then surely the amount of people upgrading decreases as surely the minority can keep up financially.

Once developer see that app purchases going down due to incompatibility / crashes on, they will be forced to support it longer eventually.
Jibbajabba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:44 AM   #554
wshyang
macrumors newbie

They should just remove the generational numbers altogether.

And change the order page to include something like "Order as and when you want to, and we will ship you our latest release of the iPad at the time of your order".

And perhaps update the specifications to say "At least a A6X processor with at least 1.1GB of RAM"

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesage View Post
My iPad 2 does absolutely everything I need to it.

I don't need to upgrade everytime a new device comes out. I can't afford it for a start.....but would I like to if money were no object?...the vain part of me says yes, but then common sense kicks in
Of course it still does. The iPad 2 is essentially Mac Mini internals with a larger low PPI screen!
wshyang is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:16 PM   #555
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshyang View Post
They should just remove the generational numbers altogether.
Maybe do something like the Macs?

Early, mid, or late 2012.
irDigital0l is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:37 PM   #556
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
I'm ok with it. I'm still loving my 3rd gen. Maybe I'll upgrade then
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:59 PM   #557
quaternio
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
That is insane. The 4th generation iPad was released on Nov 2012, another refresh in March?

Thats far too early, I would much rather Apple work hard at releasing a much better tablet yearly, rather then make incremental changes every 6 months..
To every sentiment similar to this one: just pretend that every other iPad doesn't exist, and you will have your wish. The only effective difference is that if you are willing to buy the slightly less recent device, you will be able to enter the market at discounted price–and you will lose less for doing so. That is literally the only difference; that the 4th iPad will be cheaper in 6 months rather than 12. Going forward, production lines will only become better at shifting production to a new device more quickly. Doing so will almost certainly not slow down the overall level of progress per unit of time; it will just create more entry points for the consumer, which is a good thing. And people in the know like us might want to laugh at the person who buys a device in it's eleventh month, but in a six month cycle consisting of smaller increments, the consumer will be cheated less for buying immediately before an update. Everything about this scenario is good, for everyone (except those who are incapable of living within their means).

The upshot is that for me–a person who is in dire need of an iPad as my iPad 2 was recently destroyed–choosing to buy now rather than wait is a more viable option, since I can expect that the increment of change will probably be smaller (on average, at least; or so I want to tell myself, :/ ).

Last edited by quaternio; Dec 30, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
quaternio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:05 PM   #558
WARSTIN
macrumors member

Currently own a iPad 3rd gen, but all i want is a Mini retina to be released, the sooner, the better.
WARSTIN is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:20 PM   #559
Tech198
macrumors 601

Bet this cheeses you iPad mini owners off. (but wait.... theres more)
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:19 AM   #560
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesage View Post
My iPad 2 does absolutely everything I need to it.

I don't need to upgrade everytime a new device comes out. I can't afford it for a start.....but would I like to if money were no object?...the vain part of me says yes, but then common sense kicks in
I do wonder how people do that .. or at least how to justify it ..
Jibbajabba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:56 PM   #561
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816

I fully expect the iPad 5 to release in March and it will be a complete redesign. The iPad 4 only came out in November just to get the 30 pin connector iPads of the shelf and get everyone switching to the lightening

The iPad has been the same for 4 generations and looks fat and old compared mini. It went from having its own conference to a 5 minute mention and people think it's going to share a conference the mini? no way

I look forward to the redesigned iPad 5 in march

iPad Air 2 | Silver | 64GB
iPhone 6 Plus | Silver | 64GB
2012 iMac 27" | i7 | 3.4Ghz | Fusion | 32GB RAM | 680MX
Aluminum213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:09 PM   #562
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gix1k View Post
Apple is slowing becoming HTC.
There may be some truth in this.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:29 PM   #563
Tech198
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbajabba View Post
I do wonder how people do that .. or at least how to justify it ..
Easy....... They are patient.

I like Apple, as much as as the next person, but blowing my money on the next big thing "just because it's there" isn't not on my list.

The question has to then come.... Is it something you want, or something you NEED.

I reckon half of the people here, if not most, is "something they want" Whats wrong with a previous generation, other than "its just a previous gen." or "i gotta be the new kid (or only kid) on the block to show my mates my new Mac."

I still have an ageing 2011 Macbook Pro, and if Apple never upgraded the Air's i would of still got one, as i planning to.. because it suits me.Plus, I always wanted one, but got putt of by a new MBP.

the new Min may in fact have Retina, but so what ...... so does the ipad 3, and while the mini is thinner, its also smaller screen size.. which is a turns me off..... When you start getting something smaller and smaller, how do you justify to a point "This is hard on the eyes"
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:10 AM   #564
Wolfpup
macrumors 68030

I wish more people wanted THICKER devices for better battery life...and for that matter I wish we'd get rid of sealed and proprietary batteries *sigh*. But at least give me bigger batteries. The iPod touch line is always laughable...absurdly thin and with 5 minutes battery life if you push it much. I could easily take FOUR times thicker for the >4x battery boost, but I'd take 2x happily.

Heck, Motorola's Razer Max was pretty darned exciting to me...lasted over 24 hours for stuff that other mobile devices died <10 on.
Wolfpup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:27 AM   #565
PeteJames
macrumors regular

This is pissing me off. I'm trying to pick a good time to buy one as I won't be upgrading it for years. I don't want to buy a product that's old hat in a few months leading to the 2nd hand value plummeting. They are really just indirectly screwing the old customers. Greedy pricks. Also pissed me off how Nintendo brought out the 3DS XL so soon.

I did manage to buy my first and only macbook pro just as the unibody design came out thanks to macrumors. Kept it looking and feeling more stylish for years. I want to do the same for ipad

Last edited by PeteJames; Jan 9, 2013 at 02:33 AM.
PeteJames is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:37 AM   #566
SeaFox
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames View Post
This is pissing me off. I'm trying to pick a good time to buy one as I won't be upgrading it for years. I don't want to buy a product that's old hat in a few months leading to the 2nd hand value plummeting.

I did manage to buy my first and only macbook pro just as the unibody design came out thanks to macrumors. Kept it looking and feeling more stylish for years. I want to do the same for ipad
If you wont be upgrading it for years the second-hand value shouldn't be a concern to you, because it will be a low value item anyway once you do decide to sell it.

The only people who are concerned with having the latest and greatest for the longest time period are elitists and people who are running the upgrade treadmill of only being a generation behind at the most.
SeaFox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:31 AM   #567
surjavarman
macrumors 6502a

Hypothetically if you have these two timelines

now---------------------------------------2014
ipad5--------------------------------------ipad6

now--------------------------------------2014
ipad5-ipad6-ipad7-ipad8-ipad9-ipad10-ipad11

and lets assume that the ipad11 has the exact same specs as the ipad6. What would you rather have? I know I would definitely want the later. More choice, cheaper 2nd hand iPads, more value, shorter cycles means latest tech.
surjavarman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:08 AM   #568
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Huh?

Quote:
This is pissing me off. I'm trying to pick a good time to buy one as I won't be upgrading it for years. I don't want to buy a product that's old hat in a few months leading to the 2nd hand value plummeting. They are really just indirectly screwing the old customers. Greedy pricks. Also pissed me off how Nintendo brought out the 3DS XL so soon.

I'm going to save you a whole lot of hassle...

Don't buy any tech products. Ever again. They'll always come out with new models.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:32 AM   #569
Wolfpup
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Personally I'd never buy an iPad again now that Windows 8 tablets are out that are real PCs, but if you want one, given the rumors and traditional upgrade cycle, it might be worth waiting for the 5. Presumably it'll hit by late 2013, but they're kind of acting like it might get updated by March.
Wolfpup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:14 PM   #570
BRO,RUMAD?
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeb View Post
So what should Apple do? Not release new models whilst competitors do? Your old ipad will not stop working so there is no need to behave like a petulant child just because you won't have the latest
I'm not saying Apple should stop completely. I'm just saying they should take a breather and slow down a bit. And besides, even if competitors are releasing other products, it's not like people will be flocking like crazy to get them (Not saying NO one will, just not enough to do some significant damage).
BRO,RUMAD? is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Tags
ipad