Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCA90

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
On my AppleTV in the movie section under purchased it shows I have 40 movies under all. But when you add up the Genres section up, (30 Action/adventure, 3 kids/family, 3 scifi/fantasy and 1 comedy) or when you count how many movies are in the all movie section it adds up to 37. I've checked my itunes purchased history to see if there are any movie that i've purchased that just aren't iCloud supported yet, but there aren't anymore.

Anyone have any ideas what those extra 3 movies can be from or why it displays I have 3 more movies than I actually do?

JCA90

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Not that I know of. I'd say half or a little more than half of the movies I own are SD digital copies from bluray's I own, and the rest are HD iTunes purchases. Could it be possible it's getting confused about the SD versions turning into HD one's? Can that even be done?

Edit:
Further confusion, I just purchased 'Looper' and the count went from 40 to 42. I have no idea what it's counting. Would a restore to the AppleTV fix this?

Last edited:

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I think the Apple TV is counting the iTunes extras file as an item even though it can't display or play them from the cloud. This seems to be my case when I first noticed the discrepancy and when I totalled my movies & iTunes extra files in iTunes it came to the same number as being displayed on the Apple TV.
I've noticed that Looper contains iTunes extras so that's possibly why the count has gone up by 2. Just to say a restore doesn't fix the issue - it must be Apple side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.