Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bymatt

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
Thank you for that. So,

then I guess I have to experiment with a couple of 5.1 DTS tracks passed through at 768 and see what gives.. Havent been as good as 5.1 AC to ffmpeg to 6 channel discrete at 448 in the past.. we shall see though.
Thanks again.

Bymatt

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
I posted a reply to thank you for your info

not sure where it went... anyway tonight I re encoded a pirates of the Carib.. using a DTS pass through when I made the MKV and when I made the M4v. Its hard to say if its better than the AC 5.1 ffmpeg, but its no worse. I have the hdmi out of the ATV2 and the optical going to the appropriate inputs on the AVR. Its difficult to tell if the ATV is outputing DTS to the AVR or its just the HDMI sound, which isnt too shabby.. I can set the AVR to optical and disconnect the tosslink and lose the sound. The only trouble is that set to optical, I get no video, SOOOO have to choose HDMI again and hope the ATV is contributing over the tosslink....

Thanks again for you correction on the help file...

TrackZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Is that Pirates On Stranger Tides? If you encoded the movie, added to iTunes, and then are playing on your ATV, then you shouldn't be getting DTS audio as the ATV doesn't output DTS unless you're jailbroken and playing through loaded software. Can you clarify your setup?

Bymatt

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
I am finally at peace with this.

Did do a couple of HB,s from the original disc and setting the AC3 track as DTS and pass through.
The result and the first time I have seen it, was the AVR played through ATV2 fine, but the AVR indicator lights indicated Dolby, Digital and under that prologic II.. think the LCPM light was on also and the HDMI light. I recall HB stating that ATV wont pass true DTS but it rearranges it to a form of PL II, which is what the indicators on the AVR show. HB recommended to just use the 5.1 AC3 track.
When I use HB to set the AC3 track to 5.1, english, ffmpeg, my preference, pass thru sounds flat to me, and a downmix to 6 channel discrete at 448 the AVR reports Dolby Digital and of course HDMI and if I try to cycle the AVR through the modes, it wont let me which is fine. So, It appears I finally have something a wee bit cusomized and sounding very good, maybe adequate +.. LOL NO not jail broken and I load them on the iPAD1 and air play it to the ATV2.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
This is an old thread, but wanted to mention that you can use MKVTools to extract your .dts file and keep that separate in the same folder you keep your mp4's.

For now you can use AC3 5.1 (640kb) and 256-320 AAC 2ch....when the time comes (in the near future) when DTS is supported, you can use Subler to mux the DTS track in there and remove the AC3 track...that is IF this happens.

But on the other hand, if you keep the DTS file and use for example VLC, you can play with an external .dts file.

In this case, you are creating a compatible file for your Apple devices and being able to "future proof" so you don't have to rip the audio again.

Btw I can definitely tell the difference with DTS 1.5Mbps and DD 640Kb. Most people won't be able to tell the difference, unless you have a very expensive surround sound set up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.