Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:28 PM   #1
AHDuke99
macrumors 68010

Send a message via AIM to AHDuke99
iPhone and eBay

So, I have been having a time selling my iPhone 4S on eBay and Craigslist. The last two buyers ended up being scams, and eBay alerted me of this before I shipped (literally as I was on my way to mail it).

I sold it to another buyer on Christmas Eve. The buyer emailed me to tell me Monday they wanted it shipped to another address in the same state, and said they had updated it on eBay and PayPal. Paypal still shows the old address when I go to the page.

The money has cleared into my bank account, but I am having reservations shipping it. I just messaged the buyer to tell him the address had not changed. The buyer does have feedback from 2 weeks ago saying they were a good buyer. Maybe I am just being overly cautious.
AHDuke99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

Just wait for PayPal to confirm the new address. Don't ship before that. If you ship to an unconfirmed address PayPal will give you no support.
Givmeabrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:41 PM   #3
AHDuke99
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek View Post
Just wait for PayPal to confirm the new address. Don't ship before that. If you ship to an unconfirmed address PayPal will give you no support.
Yeah, I just read that on eBay's site. Will I need to do a new transaction or will it just change automatically? The new address is in the same city as the old one but I know I won't have any seller protection if I don't ship to the verified address.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

Just tell the buyer that you can't ship until the proper address shows up in PayPal. Let him handle the details. He caused the confusion and is the only one that can straighten it out.
Givmeabrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:17 PM   #5
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

eBay is a mess. You have all these people with ZERO transactions bidding. They bid major$ even with broken screen, bad ESN etc. and you know they gonna back out and not pay when they win.

eBay is a %&^@ mess I tell ya.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:26 PM   #6
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDuke99 View Post
Yeah, I just read that on eBay's site. Will I need to do a new transaction or will it just change automatically? The new address is in the same city as the old one but I know I won't have any seller protection if I don't ship to the verified address.
You can be proactive and email both paypal and ebay to speed up the process, but do not ship before that. Refund the buyer if they give you any trouble and report to ebay.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:21 PM   #7
sk24iam
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
eBay is a mess. You have all these people with ZERO transactions bidding. They bid major$ even with broken screen, bad ESN etc. and you know they gonna back out and not pay when they win.

eBay is a %&^@ mess I tell ya.
You're exactly right, it's become to big for them to keep up with quality control. I used an alternative recently to sell my old iphone.
sk24iam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:43 PM   #8
corys00
macrumors member

I just want to add to the chorus, let the buyer sort everything out.

If this was my transaction, I'd only ship to the original address and make sure you get signature capture and that's if I would even ship it.
corys00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Tell him it's either the original confirmed address or you're not shipping it and just refunding him.
Why risk it?
If he claims he didn't get it they will side with him since you shipped to an unconfirmed address.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:16 AM   #10
AHDuke99
macrumors 68010

I refunded him because the address won't change with my transaction. He will have to repurchase it. Problem is, I can't send him a new invoice because eBay thinks he's already paid.

Any idea how to solve this? Or will I be forced to reenlist the item? He said the reason the address was the same is because that is what it was at the time he made the purchase.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:40 AM   #11
617aircav
macrumors 68020

You have to relist the item. eBay will refund you all your fees. I've been luck on eBay the past few months. Ive sold over 30 phones without issues.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone