Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:53 PM   #1
flgator85
macrumors newbie

Question Best Place to Sell iPhone 4

Where is the best place to sell an iPhone 4 16GB factory unlocked? eBay, Gazelle ($140), eBay instanceSell ($146), or Craigslist? Previously, I have used eBay but I have heard so many horror stories on this forum lately. Are these just the minority or have others had successfully sales with no issues? Craigslist bothers me because of the possibility of being robbed.
flgator85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:57 PM   #2
EggrollShop
macrumors member

Craigslist would probably be best. Use common sense when selling... Meet in a public place, bring a friend or someone with you during the meeting. I've sold numerous things on Craigslist including my previous iPhones and have not been robbed yet.
iPad WiFi 16gb
EggrollShop is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:17 PM   #3
bruceclay85
macrumors member

I sell phones on eBay very often. It's never a hassle and gains you the most profit I've found. Just use your head and some common sense and you can get by fine. If something strike you as wrong an you feel uncomfortable, then take yourself out of the situation.
bruceclay85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:22 PM   #4
MrMacBookPro
macrumors 6502

Ebay... my GF's co worker sold two iphone 4s's and got obver $300 each..
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Cjshino
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgator85 View Post
Where is the best place to sell an iPhone 4 16GB factory unlocked? eBay, Gazelle ($140), eBay instanceSell ($146), or Craigslist? Previously, I have used eBay but I have heard so many horror stories on this forum lately. Are these just the minority or have others had successfully sales with no issues? Craigslist bothers me because of the possibility of being robbed.
tc if you are selling an iphone 4 i will gladly buy it.
Cjshino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:51 PM   #6
Kaze105
macrumors member

Craiglist for me. Sold my iphone 4s for 375 dollars. Just always meet at a public place. (gas station, starbucks, etc)
Kaze105 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:40 PM   #7
arazak
macrumors newbie

Sell an iPhone

First of, by your name, I'm assuming you're Florida Gators fan. I went to UF so I'm a huge Gator fan. Go Gators! At the time of this writing, they're currently playing the Sugar Bowl...big coincidence.

Anyway, eBay and Craigslist will definitely get you more money for your phone. However, they're a pain. If you haven't already sold your phone to Gazelle, I know another reCommerce service owned by a fellow Gator - ItsWorthMore.com. I've sold my iPhone and iPad and I love em. Best place to sell Apple products IMO and indirectly support the Gator Nation.

Hope they win tonight.
arazak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by arazak View Post
First of, by your name, I'm assuming you're Florida Gators fan. I went to UF so I'm a huge Gator fan. Go Gators! At the time of this writing, they're currently playing the Sugar Bowl...big coincidence.

Anyway, eBay and Craigslist will definitely get you more money for your phone. However, they're a pain. If you haven't already sold your phone to Gazelle, I know another reCommerce service owned by a fellow Gator - ItsWorthMore.com. I've sold my iPhone and iPad and I love em. Best place to sell Apple products IMO and indirectly support the Gator Nation.

Hope they win tonight.
Go Canes.
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:44 PM   #9
0dev
macrumors 68040

I've never had an issue selling phones on eBay but recently I've just been selling them off to CeX instead. The prices they give you are slightly lower than eBay but don't forget eBay takes out listing fees, final value fees, and PayPal fees which add up on expensive goods.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:30 PM   #10
applefanboy5
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceclay85 View Post
I sell phones on eBay very often. It's never a hassle and gains you the most profit I've found. Just use your head and some common sense and you can get by fine. If something strike you as wrong an you feel uncomfortable, then take yourself out of the situation.
I was wondering if i decide to sell my iPhone on ebay how can i prevent someone from saying that my iphone came to them with a cracked screen? I'm just worried some person might actually damage their phone on their own then asking for a refund
applefanboy5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:49 PM   #11
Deicide14
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefanboy5 View Post
I was wondering if i decide to sell my iPhone on ebay how can i prevent someone from saying that my iphone came to them with a cracked screen? I'm just worried some person might actually damage their phone on their own then asking for a refund
Make a video of you packing the box and adding the bubble wrap or foam and clearly show that the iPhone is in an uncracked condition, so if they do ask for a refund or start a claim, you can show PayPal proof that it was unbroken and you had taken steps to prevent this and that this was not ur fault.

Another good place to sell/trade would be celltraderonline. I use that site most of the time.
Deicide14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:54 PM   #12
latormenta
macrumors member

Craigslist is fast and easy. Everything is on your own terms.
latormenta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:04 PM   #13
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

For the past few times I just let a few friends and coworkers know Im selling my old iphone and always within days a buyer comes up either by letting their friends, family or coworkers know. I tell them how much Im looking for and how low I would go and show pics of the phone and the box and accessories included, factory unlocked etc..
I sell them for about the same price they go on CL or ebay minus the ebay/paypal fees, scammers and without having the risk of meeting any shady, lowballers or strange individuals from the internet for the transaction.
Worked out great for me recently. Nice, easy, fast and people that I know and trust.
Just a suggestion.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:47 PM   #14
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

traded mine in at best buy for $150 on september 23rd..
aPple nErd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:48 AM   #15
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide14 View Post
Make a video of you packing the box and adding the bubble wrap or foam and clearly show that the iPhone is in an uncracked condition, so if they do ask for a refund or start a claim, you can show PayPal proof that it was unbroken and you had taken steps to prevent this and that this was not ur fault.

Another good place to sell/trade would be celltraderonline. I use that site most of the time.
That won't work as it won't absolutely prove that it's the same phone as the one shipped. I sell about 3 phones a week on eBay and this far, have never had an issue. Make sure the item is insured and always use delivery confirmation.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone