Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
My brand new power mac G5 needs an OS to boot from, and when I put in the osx server disc it just kernel panics. When I put in A regular leopard disc it does not even read it.

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
United States
Is the Leopard disc a retail disc?

What version of OSX server?

If it's not the discs you may need to try a different optical drive.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Your Quad 2.5 Power Mac has a DVD drive that could read dual layer discs, and since it's doing a kernel panic on the Server Disc, that would rule out a DVD drive problem, at least to me.

Is that Leopard disc a retail disc? Meaning it's black (retail). If it's gray, which is what the system specific discs are, which will not work with your PM and would eject just like you are experiencing. It shipped with Tiger so there are no Leopard system discs for that machine, any Leopard system discs you might find/buy would be for other Macs and not work.

First I would reseat all of the RAM and try again. Make sure it's all pushed in firmly and the tabs are secured. If that doesn't solve the problem I would start taking RAM out and only leave one matched pair in place and see if you can install Server. (Server is your preferred OS, correct?)

Kernel panics indicate a hardware failure. Most of the time it's RAM. either it's badly seated and can be pushed back into place or one stick or more has failed (or even a RAM slot has gone bad). Take all of the RAM out but one set. Try it, it if doesn't work, replace that RAM with some of the other RAM and keep note of what's what. Keep the matched pairs together.

If you can't solve the problem with the RAM, it's likely a different piece of hardware. It could be the hard drive, the logic board, the power supply, etc.

Check to make sure all of the cables are firmly seated on both ends.

Last edited:

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Your Quad 2.5 Power Mac has a DVD drive that could read dual layer discs, and since it's doing a kernel panic on the Server Disc, that would rule out a DVD drive problem, at least to me.

Is that Leopard disc a retail disc? Meaning it's black (retail). If it's gray, which is what the system specific discs are, which will not work with your PM and would eject just like you are experiencing. It shipped with Tiger so there are no Leopard system discs for that machine, any Leopard system discs you might find/buy would be for other Macs and not work.

First I would reseat all of the RAM and try again. Make sure it's all pushed in firmly and the tabs are secured. If that doesn't solve the problem I would start taking RAM out and only leave one matched pair in place and see if you can install Server. (Server is your preferred OS, correct?)

Kernel panics indicate a hardware failure. Most of the time it's RAM. either it's badly seated and can be pushed back into place or one stick or more has failed (or even a RAM slot has gone bad). Take all of the RAM out but one set. Try it, it if doesn't work, replace that RAM with some of the other RAM and keep note of what's what. Keep the matched pairs together.

If you can't solve the problem with the RAM, it's likely a different piece of hardware. It could be the hard drive, the logic board, the power supply, etc.

Yes, it is a black retail disc.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

WHAT:confused:

Most of the Kernel Panics are not HW problems, most of the time there are OS issues or in rare cases Application incompatibilities (One version of Transmission for instance gave kernel panics).

His issue is most likely an incompatible OS Install disk.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
WHAT:confused:

Most of the Kernel Panics are not HW problems, most of the time there are OS issues or in rare cases Application incompatibilities (One version of Transmission for instance gave kernel panics).

His issue is most likely an incompatible OS Install disk.

Or RAM issues, as we've been discussing in this thread, which is a HARDWARE problem.

He has a retail Leopard disc, which was posted before you replied.

Apple has an entire thread on HARDWARE kernel panics.

----

OP, do you have another Mac to put that Leopard disc in and see if it is recognized?

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
My brand new power mac G5 needs an OS to boot from, and when I put in the osx server disc it just kernel panics. When I put in A regular leopard disc it does not even read it.

I was having a similar struggle with my G5 that I picked up a few weeks ago. Have you reset the SMU (or PMU)? I was receiving endless Kernel panics and a simple reset cleared everything up. If you are still struggling, might I suggest trying Target Disk Mode (if you have another Mac). http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
I have solved the issue. An incompatible SATA controller was causing the kernel panics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.