Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KerishME

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
I completed an upgrade request with Silverlight earlier in the week and now Netflix will not work. I then tried to uninstall Silverlight using the instructions from Netflix and other recommendations online. I went into the HD Library folder and threw away the Internet Plugin Silverlight file. I also got rid of anything I found using the Spotlight check. I tossed the Application Support Silverlight files and the Receipts files. I did not see any WPFE files. I have tried several times but when I go back and try to install the version that Netflix wants me to use, I get an error that says "Microsoft Silverlight Browser Plug-in can't be installed on this disk. A newer version of this software already exists on this disk."

I am on a Macbook Pro running system 10.6.8

Any help would be appreciated.

Keri

Last edited:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
For future reference:
When you run into a problem, ask for help before you tear into things and throw away files willy-nilly.

For present reference:
Open your global Receipts folder, /Library/Receipts/. Drag Silverlight_EULA.pkg [and any other file with "Silverlight" in the name] to the Desktop.

KerishME

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Thank you for responding.

There is nothing from Silverlight left in my Receipts file, neither the one in the Library for the HD nor in the User Library.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
This is still not resolved. Help, please!

There are un-intallers like Appdelete and others who will remove anything ;)

It tells me that files are in:
Library/internet plug-ins/Silverlight.plugin
Users/xxxx/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.silverlight.plist
Library/application support/Microsoft/Silverlight
Users/xxxx/Library/saves application State/com.microsoft.silverlight.plist

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There are un-intallers like Appdelete and others who will remove anything ;)
In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

KerishME

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Thank you!

Thank you GGJstudios! The advice on how to manually delete a program saved the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.