Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:14 PM   #1
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God

Apple really missed the mark by only offering one screen size in the iPhone, eh?

This is just a conversational post ... Looking back it's curious why Apple only offered the iPhone in one (small) screen size. I personally have no problem with the screen but clearly consumers want to choose the size themselves, not have an OEM manufacturer do it for them.

Apple innovated and blew open the smartphone market in so many ways, it's both odd and interesting how/why they sort of missed the mark with choice of screen size. I know Apple's not known for offering a great deal of choice but the way the smart phone market is maturing it's becoming almost as strange as if Apple only offered one screen size in the their notebook line.

I understand it's not easy for developers to make app's for various screen sizes regardless it seems Apple slewfooted themselves and missed the mark on a simple yet important point - choice in screen size.
entatlrg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:19 PM   #2
0dev
macrumors 68040

Apple don't care about choice, they're Apple. And since they're still selling millions upon millions of units every single month I wouldn't say they missed the mark.

Last edited by 0dev; Jan 2, 2013 at 09:34 PM.
0dev is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:22 PM   #3
wxman2003
macrumors 68020

What are you talking about? There are 2 size screens for the iphone.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:33 PM   #4
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
What are you talking about? There are 2 size screens for the iphone.
He means 4-inch and another screen size larger than that
irDigital0l is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:01 PM   #5
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

IMO even the screen of Galaxy Note is too small. For real productivity or comfort website/magazine viewing at least an iPad mini (~8") is needed. For older eyes like me the big iPad is perfect.

A phone is good for what a phone does. Calls, texts, occasional facebook checking, simple games, etc.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:05 PM   #6
freddiecable
macrumors 6502

I can only agree. Even though having different screen sizes is not part of the innovation - it is part of the differentiation. I'm also one of those geeks that would not mind larger screen and I was happy iphone 4 was a bit bigger. And - on that note - why should I not be able to all regular calls on my ipad mini?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:31 PM   #7
Deicide14
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddiecable View Post
I can only agree. Even though having different screen sizes is not part of the innovation - it is part of the differentiation. I'm also one of those geeks that would not mind larger screen and I was happy iphone 4 was a bit bigger. And - on that note - why should I not be able to all regular calls on my ipad mini?
Well you could if you downloaded apps like Line, Kakao Talk, and Skype etc.
Deicide14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:41 PM   #8
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by entatlrg View Post
I understand it's not easy for developers to make app's for various screen sizes regardless it seems Apple slewfooted themselves and missed the mark on a simple yet important point - choice in screen size.
So you've noticed that Apple tried to make things easier for developers. Funny, I guess, how everyone always says the best thing about the iPhone is its app store's deeper, higher-quality selection of apps. I guess that's just a coincidence! I don't suppose there's any way that happened because of choices Apple made...is there?
Small White Car is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:07 AM   #9
SupadudeX
macrumors member

Agreed. They missed the mark. I won't be buying another iPhone until the increase the screen size.
SupadudeX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:03 AM   #10
daneoni
macrumors G4

Units of iPhone sold and subsequent billions in the bank suggests to me that they are in fact right on the mark.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:00 AM   #11
hafr
Banned

Quote:
This is just a conversational post ... Looking back it's curious why Apple only offered the iPhone in one (small) screen size. I personally have no problem with the screen but clearly consumers want to choose the size themselves, not have an OEM manufacturer do it for them.

Apple innovated and blew open the smartphone market in so many ways, it's both odd and interesting how/why they sort of missed the mark with choice of screen size. I know Apple's not known for offering a great deal of choice but the way the smart phone market is maturing it's becoming almost as strange as if Apple only offered one screen size in the their notebook line.

I would assume it's a very, very thought through decision to offer the screen sizes they do. The only thing I'm a bit surprised over is that they didn't introduce the 4" screen earlier. They probably could have done it with the 4...
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:13 PM   #12
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Apple really missed the mark by only offering one screen size in the iPhone, eh?
Yeah, they're not selling at all...

I mean, I agree, choice is generally better but they certainly haven't "missed the mark" unless your mark is off somewhere else and that's what you're referring to. If screen size is such an important "mark" as alleged in the OP then sales would be significantly impacted.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:48 PM   #13
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Apple slewfooted themselves and missed the mark on a simple yet important point - choice in screen size.

It's a cliche now to say Apple is the most valuable company in the world, so what have they missed?

U been around at least since 2009, so no need to remind u Apple doesn't have focus groups. They think they know what the consumer (their kind of consumer) want more than what the consumer say they want.

But enuff of that, now that we have iPad mini, which at some point Jobs said they would never make, it's not entirely impossible a big phone may yet appear.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:23 PM   #14
DodgeV83
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
It's a cliche now to say Apple is the most valuable company in the world, so what have they missed?

U been around at least since 2009, so no need to remind u Apple doesn't have focus groups. They think they know what the consumer (their kind of consumer) want more than what the consumer say they want.

But enuff of that, now that we have iPad mini, which at some point Jobs said they would never make, it's not entirely impossible a big phone may yet appear.
Jobs said he would never make a 7" tablet. The iPad Mini is 7.9 inches.
DodgeV83 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:30 PM   #15
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeV83 View Post
Jobs said he would never make a 7" tablet. The iPad Mini is 7.9 inches.

Jobs meant they wouldn't make a smaller 7'' iPad.

The Mini is basically a smaller iPad in the 7'' market.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:38 PM   #16
Ta0jin
macrumors 6502

Consumers may want to choose their screen size but Apple has never been about giving the consumers what the consumers want, Apple gives the consumers what Apple wants! It's been working for them since day one and if people don't like that there's always a ton of screen options on Android.

Last edited by Ta0jin; Jan 3, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
Ta0jin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:39 PM   #17
s15119
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Considering how many billions of iPhones Apple has sold, it's pretty silly to say the "missed the mark". In fact, it seems they hit the mark perfectly.
s15119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:50 PM   #18
harcosparky
macrumors 68020

Every Samsung SIII and Samsung Galazy Note II sold represents a LOST SALE for Apple!

Sometimes, size does matter!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:16 PM   #19
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
Every Samsung SIII and Samsung Galazy Note II sold represents a LOST SALE for Apple!

Sometimes, size does matter!
Why? Some people swear that they will never buy Apple products, out of no reason. If they don't buy a Samsung it doesn't mean that the sale will go to Apple.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:07 PM   #20
kmpoboy2
macrumors 6502

It's funny that now the iPhone screen it's considered small and yet it was considered too big when it was introduced.
kmpoboy2 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:09 PM   #21
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
A phone is good for what a phone does. Calls, texts, occasional facebook checking, simple games, etc.
My computer broke and I did nearly everything on my iPhone for a year. YMMV.
Jimmy James is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:17 PM   #22
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
My computer broke and I did nearly everything on my iPhone for a year. YMMV.
I do most on an iPad
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:29 PM   #23
freddiecable
macrumors 6502

not quite the same thing. i have and use skype a lot. but i want to use my regular operator for voice calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide14 View Post
Well you could if you downloaded apps like Line, Kakao Talk, and Skype etc.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:44 AM   #24
Paito
macrumors regular

I think the iphone is the perfect size anything bigger is like carring a TV in your pocket.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:06 AM   #25
Pinkie Pie
macrumors regular

I think my 4S is the perfect size - anything bigger won't fit in my hand or pocket! So, yes, if the options are one giant phone or several in different sizes, I'd prefer the latter.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone