Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
So I bought my iPad 2 about a year ago and love it, but now that it is almost 2 years old and 2 newer iPads have come out it got me thinking. How soon should I start saving to upgrade my iPad? I have not seen any real problems like lag or anything, but how long do you think we as iPad 2 owners have until apple stops sending updates to it, and it becomes to slow to run the most up to date apps? I really love my iPad and don't want to go get another one, but I know as some point it will happen. How soon do you guys think that will be?

Internaut

macrumors 65816
If you're happy with it then why rush? The latest iOS works fine with it and I haven't seen any performance problems. For me, the time to upgrade is when:

- Things start slowing down
- The latest innovations in new iOS versions are increasingly not available.

The iPad 2 isn't there yet.

S

syd430

Ipad 2, which shares the same hardware as the brand new Mini, will be supported for years to come. The A5 is still blazingly fast on something as optimised as ios. The ram will actually hit you much sooner, but that will still be another 2-3 years away for most apps, and as long as you don't constantly have too many open tabs in Safari.

Whatever you do, do not get an ipad 3. Nothing wrong with the device, it's just pointless if you don't really value the retina. This is especially true if you use your ipad predominately in landscape mode. Really, the only practical thing retina is going to give you is make potrait mode useable (most things are a joke in potrait mode on the 1024x768 iPads). Not only that, but you are getting a heavier, thicker, less nimble device than the ipad 2, with no advantage other than retina.

Having said all the that, I can't recommend upgrading to the ipad 4 enough. Not only do you get that retina display (usable potrait mode), but the A6X is really a world apart from anything else. The difference really becomes noticeable over time. The lightning connector is also a huge improvement over the old clunky 30 pin connectors (again something that really becomes noticble over time).

Forget about the ipad 5 too. It will be far more fragile if it does become part of the iphone 5/ipad mini design family (completely pointless for a device as big as the full sized ipad imo) And the hardware (cpu, ram) probably wont be significantly better. The huge improvement will probably be the weight and thickness, which is something i dont really value anyway because i dont really hold my ipad when using it.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Most of the games & apps are made to perform best on the A5 chip

That's what I read somewhere

So that's why the ipad mini runs so smooth

You should be good for a while

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Good! I mean I really do love my ipad I just was afraid it was going to become like the iPhones. Cause really the iPhone 3GS is pretty much dead now and the 4 will come next when the next iPhones comes out. But from what you guys say the ipad is doing a much better job. I still see a lot of people that have the 2 and at this point I see no reason to upgrade. I have the iphone 5 and the lighting cable is nothing special, so I really don't thing I need the ipad 4. I mean I guess the original ipad is still doing ok?

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Good! I mean I really do love my ipad I just was afraid it was going to become like the iPhones. Cause really the iPhone 3GS is pretty much dead now and the 4 will come next when the next iPhones comes out. But from what you guys say the ipad is doing a much better job. I still see a lot of people that have the 2 and at this point I see no reason to upgrade. I have the iphone 5 and the lighting cable is nothing special, so I really don't thing I need the ipad 4. I mean I guess the original ipad is still doing ok?

How is the 3GS dead it is still supported by iOS and almost all of the apps in the app store. I don't understand when people always have the need to upgrade there devices when a new one comes out just because there is a new one. If the iPad 2 is doing everything you need then you don't need the iPad 4. Are you really that insecure about your stuff?

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
How is the 3GS dead it is still supported by iOS and almost all of the apps in the app store. I don't understand when people always have the need to upgrade there devices when a new one comes out just because there is a new one. If the iPad 2 is doing everything you need then you don't need the iPad 4. Are you really that insecure about your stuff?

If you read my post I never said I felt like I need to upgrade. I just wanted to see what people thought about the ipad 2 and how much life it has left. Also I did not say that the 3GS is dead and gone it just did not get the latest iOS update and it becoming more and more slow running the newer stuff. I had an iPhone 3G and got the iPhone 4 when it came out. After the 4 was out a couple of months the 3G just was becoming more and more hard to use and slow. Yes the 3GS is supported by iOS it always will, but it can't keep running the newest iOS updates. It will become to much for it. That is all I was asking about the ipad 2

S

syd430

I mean I guess the original ipad is still doing ok?

The ipad 1, with its single core CPU, paltry 256mb ram and bulkier form factor is already dead. The ipad 2 should have a much longer shelf life than what the ipad 1 ever had. It's 2013 and ipad 2's are still selling out (the mini edition, that is)

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
If you read my post I never said I felt like I need to upgrade. I just wanted to see what people thought about the ipad 2 and how much life it has left. Also I did not say that the 3GS is dead and gone it just did not get the latest iOS update and it becoming more and more slow running the newer stuff. I had an iPhone 3G and got the iPhone 4 when it came out. After the 4 was out a couple of months the 3G just was becoming more and more hard to use and slow. Yes the 3GS is supported by iOS it always will, but it can't keep running the newest iOS updates. It will become to much for it. That is all I was asking about the ipad 2
Ah ok then well i would say that the iPad 2 will be supported for awhile due to the fact that it has an A5 chip which the iPad Mini and most of apples other iOS devices have.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Ipad 2, which shares the same hardware as the brand new Mini, will be supported for years to come. The A5 is still blazingly fast on something as optimised as ios. The ram will actually hit you much sooner, but that will still be another 2-3 years away for most apps, and as long as you don't constantly have too many open tabs in Safari.

Whatever you do, do not get an ipad 3. Nothing wrong with the device, it's just pointless if you don't really value the retina. This is especially true if you use your ipad predominately in landscape mode. Really, the only practical thing retina is going to give you is make potrait mode useable (most things are a joke in potrait mode on the 1024x768 iPads). Not only that, but you are getting a heavier, thicker, less nimble device than the ipad 2, with no advantage other than retina.

Having said all the that, I can't recommend upgrading to the ipad 4 enough. Not only do you get that retina display (usable potrait mode), but the A6X is really a world apart from anything else. The difference really becomes noticeable over time. The lightning connector is also a huge improvement over the old clunky 30 pin connectors (again something that really becomes noticble over time).

Forget about the ipad 5 too. It will be far more fragile if it does become part of the iphone 5/ipad mini design family (completely pointless for a device as big as the full sized ipad imo) And the hardware (cpu, ram) probably wont be significantly better. The huge improvement will probably be the weight and thickness, which is something i dont really value anyway because i dont really hold my ipad when using it.

You realise in the same post you said don't buy the iPad 3, it's heavier and thicker but skip the iPad 5 because it'll be thinner and lighter....

And retina is amazing not just in portrait mode but in everything (yes everything) you use your iPad for.

S

syd430

No. The 3GS has been dead for a very long time now. Even the iphone 4 feels antiqued and downright slow and frustrating compared to the iphone 5 with its A6 and more ram.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
No. The 3GS has been dead for a very long time now. Even the iphone 4 feels antiqued and downright slow and frustrating compared to the iphone 5 with its A6 and more ram.

How has it been dead? As i said its still supported by iOS 6 and runs most apps in the app store. I have the 4 and it actually feels faster on iOS 6 than it with iOS 5 that i got it with and of course the iPhone is going to be faster, as you said it has an A6 and more ram.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
The iPad 2 has a lot of the same internals as the Mini.

The Mini of course has much better cameras and stereo speakers, but thats about the only differences spec wise.

It would be easy to think that the iPad 2 will get the same features going forward as the mini does, however Apple doesn't always work this way so it's impossible to tell.

For example, the Mini has Siri, the iPad 2 doesn't.

You may find that Apple withholds upcoming iOS features from the iPad 2 that it doesn't withhold from the Mini. Things like that happen with every iOS update.

S

syd430

You realise in the same post you said don't buy the iPad 3, it's heavier and thicker but skip the iPad 5 because it'll be thinner and lighter....

No. You just didn't read my post carefully enough.

And retina is amazing not just in portrait mode but in everything (yes everything) you use your iPad for.

what's the advantage of retina in landscape mode other than everything looking prettier? I can tell you the practical advantage of retina in portrait mode: many websites become legible. So what's the practical advance in landscape mode? Nothing. You don't gain anything. Everything just looks better. Given that I doubt you use you're ipad for anything serious, this doesn't really concern you.

I currently own all 3 of these iPads btw. They are all good. It just makes zero sense buying an ipad 3 now, when something like the ipad 4 exists for a very small additional premium.

The ipad 4 is nothing but a massively improved ipad 3 (the A6X is really an entirely different league of processor compared to the A5X after extensive heavy use). The ipad 2 is a different device entirely with its own advantages and disadvantages over the ipad 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
The iPad 2 has a lot of the same internals as the Mini.

The Mini of course has much better cameras and stereo speakers, but thats about the only differences spec wise.

It would be easy to think that the iPad 2 will get the same features going forward as the mini does, however Apple doesn't always work this way so it's impossible to tell.

For example, the Mini has Siri, the iPad 2 doesn't.

You may find that Apple withholds upcoming iOS features from the iPad 2 that it doesn't withhold from the Mini. Things like that happen with every iOS update.

Thats most likely what will happen; still be supported by iOS but have some features taken out.

Zav

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Apple really sustain their products and try very hard to keep them updated with the newest software. Its one of the main pull factors of iOS. I use an iPad 2 quite regularly and its still snappy and enjoyable. I wouldn't worry about getting a new one just get, i'd say theres a few years left in your baby yet!

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
No. You just didn't read my post carefully enough.

what's the advantage of retina in landscape mode other than everything looking prettier? I can tell you the practical advantage of retina in portrait mode: many websites become legible. So what's the practical advance in landscape mode? Nothing. You don't gain anything. Everything just looks better. Given that I doubt you use you're ipad for anything serious, this doesn't really concern you.

I currently own all 3 of these iPads btw. They are all good. It just makes zero sense buying an ipad 3 now, when something like the ipad 4 exists for a very small additional premium.

The ipad 4 is nothing but a massively improved ipad 3. The ipad 2 is a different device entirely with its own advantages and disadvantages over the ipad 4.

I did read your post carefully enough. That's what you said.

Again you're contradicting yourself. "You don't gain anything. Everything just looks better". So surely you are gaining something? And considering you know NOTHING about me or my usage habits, it's not for you to say whether it concerns me.

And just to let you know, I agree the iPad 4 is much better than the 3 and I agree it makes more sense to buy the 4 instead of the 3, your post just did not make sense.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
So what's the practical advance in landscape mode? Nothing. You don't gain anything. Everything just looks better. .

I feel bad for the fail pic so I have removed it.

Nope. Practical in the sense that certain fine text in PDFs and text heavy websites become legible in portrait mode, not things just looking prettier. I thought i made that pretty clear. So no, there is no contradiction here

Still, you don't make a valid point.

You gain everything looking better.

How about editing pictures in landscape? Thats better with retina
How about reading, or any text for that matter? Thats better with retina

Last edited:
S

syd430

Nope. Practical in the sense that certain fine text in PDFs and text heavy websites become legible in portrait mode, not things just looking prettier. I thought i made that pretty clear. So no, there is no contradiction here

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
How soon should I start saving to upgrade my iPad?
Your call. You need to decide based on when you think you're going to upgrade and based on your financial situation. We can't tell you.

I have not seen any real problems like lag or anything, but how long do you think we as iPad 2 owners have until apple stops sending updates to it, and it becomes to slow to run the most up to date apps? I really love my iPad and don't want to go get another one, but I know as some point it will happen. How soon do you guys think that will be?
Impossible to say. Some people have more basic requirements and can use something for a longer period of time. Others need to upgrade earlier based on performance issues. Again, it's a subjective matter and you need to make the call based on your preference and your experience. There's no one-size-fits-all answer despite your assumption to the contrary.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I think you're looking at a good two years at least before Apple cuts off official support for it. It's still a very popular option for those who want a bigger iPad, but something cheaper than the iPad 4.

The only problem I see is Apple purposely withholding features in iOS updates like they did with Siri. That would get annoying. If none of the withheld features appeal to you, then it shouldn't be a non-issue. As someone else said, app developers will for the most part (perhaps except extremely cutting edge graphic intensive apps) continue to make sure their apps run well on the iPad 2, since it's the lowest common denominator at this point and has quite a large base of users.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I think you're looking at a good two years at least before Apple cuts off official support for it. It's still a very popular option for those who want a bigger iPad, but something cheaper than the iPad 4.

The only problem I see is Apple purposely withholding features in iOS updates like they did with Siri. That would get annoying. If none of the withheld features appeal to you, then it shouldn't be a non-issue. As someone else said, app developers will for the most part (perhaps except extremely cutting edge graphic intensive apps) continue to make sure their apps run well on the iPad 2, since it's the lowest common denominator at this point and has quite a large base of users.

Yea that is kind of what I was looking for. I figured it might be awhile before they did but I really wanted some other people's opinions. I hope they keep the support. I mean Siri was not a big loss since well can we say it really is not that good anyways, but really I could careless about it. I think it can do all the things that I need it to do. I just don't want it to loss app support for things like Facebook and twitter and things like that. I hope you are right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.