Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:15 AM   #1
leonbirdi
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denmark
Music folder not accessible - red "flag" with minus sign

On my Mac Mini running OS X Server ML I have a strange problem:

I have set up iTunes with a local iTunes library. Works fine.

The I have made an alias of this folder so that my other computer (iMac running ML) can access the same folder. Worked fine.

Now I have two problems:

1. One day - out of the blue - the iMac would not allow iTunes to open unless iTunes was closed on the server. I am sure it is related to permissions, but after googling for days, I have no solution.

Next problem, which I need to solve first:

2. Just now, the "Music" folder on the server is unaccessible - there is a "minus" logo (red, white) and the folder is impossible to open.

Also I can't change permissions with the usual "get info" pane.

I have tried to delete and re-enter shares in server.app - no go.

I even tried to access the "music" folder from the finder pane - and I tried logging in as admin and user - no luck.

Also tried Disk Utility...

I'm a bit stuck - anyone?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 16.07.37 .png
Views:	45
Size:	361.7 KB
ID:	387670  

Last edited by leonbirdi; Jan 3, 2013 at 09:40 AM.
leonbirdi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:20 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
First thing to do is repair permissions in Disk Utility, it might solve the problem.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:21 AM   #3
leonbirdi
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denmark
Disk Utility

Yep - tried that already... No luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonbirdi View Post
On my Mac Mini running OS X Server ML I have a strange problem:

I have set up iTunes with a local iTunes library. Works fine.

The I have made an alias of this folder so that my other computer (iMac running ML) can access the same folder. Worked fine.

Now I have two problems:

1. One day - out of the blue - the iMac would not allow iTunes to open unless iTunes was closed on the server. I am sure it is related to permissions, but after googling for days, I have no solution.

Next problem, which I need to solve first:

2. Just now, the "Music" folder on the server is unaccessible - there is a "minus" logo (red, white) and the folder is impossible to open.

Also I can't change permissions with the usual "get info" pane.

I have tried to delete and re-enter shares in server.app - no go.

I even tried to access the "music" folder from the finder pane - and I tried logging in as admin and user - no luck.

Also tried Disk Utility...

I'm a bit stuck - anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
First thing to do is repair permissions in Disk Utility.
leonbirdi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:27 AM   #4
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonbirdi View Post
Yep - tried that already... No luck
You could do this in terminal but I most of the time use a program called XRay for this.
Right now can't remember the command, I think it's chmod .......

I will look it up for you, get back to you soon.

How To Change File Permissions Using The Terminal
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:28 AM   #5
leonbirdi
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denmark
xRay



Great - will wait... But Xray will not run on ML...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
You could do this in terminal but I most of the time use a program called XRay for this.
Right now can't remember the command, I think it's chmod .......

I will look it up for you, get back to you soon.
leonbirdi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:38 AM   #6
leonbirdi
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denmark
Solved!

50% done. This solved the "minus sign" problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Thank you for trying!!

Any clue on the sharing of folders between two computers? Please see attachment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
You could do this in terminal but I most of the time use a program called XRay for this.
Right now can't remember the command, I think it's chmod .......

I will look it up for you, get back to you soon.

How To Change File Permissions Using The Terminal
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonbirdi View Post


Great - will wait... But Xray will not run on ML...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 16.42.59 .png
Views:	6
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	387678  
leonbirdi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:51 AM   #7
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonbirdi View Post
Solved!
50% done. This solved the "minus sign" problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Thank you for trying!!

Any clue on the sharing of folders between two computers? Please see attachment.
See You solved half of the problem, I was having issues with my internet but better now.

I think same kind of problem on the disk.

For now you could do this:

chmod ugo+rwx "drag and drop the Music folder here" (path to music folder)
Hit Enter.


This however will give everybody access to this folder, this is not as bad as it seems though, there should only be Music in it so no problem.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonbirdi View Post
50% done. This solved the "minus sign" problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Thank you for trying!!

Any clue on the sharing of folders between two computers? Please see attachment.
Is it an NTFS formatted disk?

Edit: your link just gives a list of problems, nothing about your problem????

Last edited by justperry; Jan 3, 2013 at 09:49 AM.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 01:46 PM   #8
whooleytoo
macrumors 603
 
whooleytoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Cork, Ireland.
Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
The problem is likely that iTunes on the mini and the iMac can't both open the library file with write permissions at the same time, it's one or the other.

I don't know if there's any solution/hack which lets you use separate library files for both Macs, but the same music file folder.
__________________
Mac <- Macintosh <- McIntosh apples <- John McIntosh <- McIntosh surname <- "Mac an toshach" <- "Son of the Chief"
whooleytoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chances of a new Mac minus the "Pro" Kurso Mac Pro 21 Mar 31, 2014 05:11 PM
iTunes now importing music to "iTunes Media" folder kurtster Mac Basics and Help 2 Sep 1, 2013 12:35 PM
What is the situation on the Hard Drive type/internal? 3.5"? 2.5" only? Accessible? Sean Dempsey Mac Pro 29 Jun 12, 2013 02:10 AM
"No entry" sign on bootscreen, Late 2011 15" MBP miguelfp1 MacBook Pro 4 Mar 16, 2013 09:28 PM
"Capture the Flag" enemy detector idea - I need help with something. moonman239 iPhone/iPad Programming 6 Mar 12, 2013 07:28 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC