Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:02 AM   #1
The Game 161
macrumors 68040

Need to remove pics on my iPhone that's on a Mac at my ex's.

Will I just be able to plug my phone into my parents computer and remove those pics that are down as albums? or would I need to back it up and restore my iphone to remove those pics?
The Game 161 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

I'm sorry, I'm not really sure what you're asking, are the pics on your phone or on your exs computer? You can delete directly off the phone (or restore, but seems a little unnecessary). If they're on your exs computer you'll probably need physical access to delete them.
Interstella5555 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:39 AM   #3
ericrwalker
Banned

If they are on your ex's computer, and she won't let you in you might have to pull some 007 stuff and access her wifi via your phone or laptop and RDP into the computer and delete them. Should be fun.
ericrwalker is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:43 AM   #4
The Game 161
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
I'm sorry, I'm not really sure what you're asking, are the pics on your phone or on your exs computer? You can delete directly off the phone (or restore, but seems a little unnecessary). If they're on your exs computer you'll probably need physical access to delete them.
I've got wedding pics and days out on my iphone and want to remove them on my iphone and ipad...not bothered they are still on the mac as i won't access them but want to remove the pics on my phone as it's not great to see those pics when i have a new girlfriend lol

I have like 1,000 pics to remove as i could do with the extra space.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:45 AM   #5
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game 161 View Post
I've got wedding pics and days out on my iphone and want to remove them...not bothered they are still on the mac as i won't access them but want to remove the pics on my phone as it's not great to see those pics when i have a new girlfriend lol
Just delete them from your phone.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
I've got wedding pics and days out on my iphone and want to remove them...not bothered they are still on the mac as i won't access them but want to remove the pics on my phone as it's not great to see those pics when i have a new girlfriend lol
Understood... The easiest way(s) to do this are to either:

Open your photo album on the phone. Press the little curved arrow to select multiple pics, do so, and press delete.
Or
Connect your phone to your computer. Open Image Capture (if on a Mac). Your phone will be displayed under devices. Select the pictures you want to delete and press Delete on the lower menu bar.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:52 AM   #7
The Game 161
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Just delete them from your phone.
can't

they aren't from the camera it's photos that were downloaded and put on from the mac. So they are in albums.

----------

Quote:
Understood... The easiest way(s) to do this are to either:

Open your photo album on the phone. Press the little curved arrow to select multiple pics, do so, and press delete.
Or
Connect your phone to your computer. Open Image Capture (if on a Mac). Your phone will be displayed under devices. Select the pictures you want to delete and press Delete on the lower menu bar.
can't delete through edit as doesn't allow you to do so.

i downloaded the pics onto the phone through the mac but parents have just a computer. wasn't sure if i just back up from computer and if that would remove them or if i just restore from computer then back-up from icloud.
The Game 161 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:53 AM   #8
jrm725
macrumors newbie

Plug your phone into your home comp and sync your photos. It will delete photos that aren't on that comp.
jrm725 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:11 AM   #9
The Game 161
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm725 View Post
Plug your phone into your home comp and sync your photos. It will delete photos that aren't on that comp.
only thing is apps won't come onto my device from my parents computer will they? i know that happened before on the mac. guessing if i havn't used my iphone on the computer that it would just be registered as a new phone? and stuff won't be added onto it?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:28 AM   #10
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Oh I got it. Can you sync only photos on your parent's computer?
Where's your computer?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:28 AM   #11
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
only thing is apps won't come onto my device from my parents computer will they? i know that happened before on the mac. guessing if i havn't used my iphone on the computer that it would just be registered as a new phone? and stuff won't be added onto it?
Like I said, you should be able to do this on a mac with image capture. Your phone won't be restored without direct interaction from you on the computer and image capture operates separately, will not wipe the phone no matter what comp you plug it into.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:34 AM   #12
The Game 161
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Where's your computer?
havn't got one. Would need to use my parents computer. The mac is now at my ex's. So wasn't sure if i could delete albums if i couldn't access the mac to delete them.

----------

Quote:
Like I said, you should be able to do this on a mac with image capture. Your phone won't be restored without direct interaction from you on the computer and image capture operates separately, will not wipe the phone no matter what comp you plug it into.
don't have a mac, thats at my ex's...would just use my parents computer to see if i could delete those photos. wasn't sure if you could without restoring.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:49 AM   #13
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Exclamation So

So let me get this straight: the Mac is at your ex's place and is now your ex's property?

How do you know she hasn't already deleted those items?

The process to get rid of them on the phone is detailed in this thread.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:51 AM   #14
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
havn't got one. Would need to use my parents computer. The mac is now at my ex's. So wasn't sure if i could delete albums if i couldn't access the mac to delete them.

----------

don't have a mac, thats at my ex's...would just use my parents computer to see if i could delete those photos. wasn't sure if you could without restoring.

Try this (not sure what flavor of windows/phone you're on, google if this doesn't apply to your model)

http://www.trickyways.com/2010/01/tr...-pc-windows-7/
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:59 AM   #15
The Game 161
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
So let me get this straight: the Mac is at your ex's place and is now your ex's property?

How do you know she hasn't already deleted those items?

The process to get rid of them on the phone is detailed in this thread.
I'm not bothered if those pics are still on her computer..just want them off my phone
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:12 AM   #16
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
Where's your computer?
If he just got divorced, he probably can't afford to have his own computer. That's why he's back at his parents.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:16 AM   #17
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
If he just got divorced, he probably can't afford to have his own computer. That's why he's back at his parents.
?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:19 AM   #18
The Game 161
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
Don't really need one with an ipad and iphone but wanted to know if i use their computer those albums can be removed.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:22 AM   #19
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
?
Never mind. Glad to hear you didn't get the shaft, OP!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:25 AM   #20
ForceGhost
macrumors regular

I think he has photos on his iPhone syncd from another Mac.

But you cannot delete synced photos directly from the phone on some iOS devices (My old 3GS had the same problem).

The solution would be to sync with another computer but you would also loose some other data (Apps, Videos, Pictures ETC).

Since he is on a PC he cannot use ImageCapture.

I think that's what he means anyways.
ForceGhost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:28 AM   #21
The Game 161
macrumors 68040

The photos were downloaded from a camera and then put on the mac to then sync on my iphone so i can't delete them...so just wanted to know if it is possible to remove them on another computer or if i would need to restore the phone then back-up from icloud?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:29 AM   #22
ForceGhost
macrumors regular

Quote:
restore the phone then back-up from icloud?
This would be the easiest way to do it if you do not have a Mac handy to use.
ForceGhost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:34 AM   #23
cPol
macrumors member

Here's OP's situation:

If you have one (or several) folders of photos on your computer, you can select any or all of those folders to sync with the iPhone. When you do, it creates an album for each of the folders you sync, just like the Camera Roll album, in the iOS Photos app. However, unlike the Camera Roll album, any photo that you add to the iPhone in this manner cannot be deleted through the Photos app interface.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:36 AM   #24
1080p
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Don't really need one with an ipad and iphone but wanted to know if i use their computer those albums can be removed.
Basically... your phone is synced with the ex's Mac. The iPhone will not let you remove Album pics from the iPhone (stupid limitation BTW).

Only 2 ways to do it.

1. Sync with another computer. This will remove anything that you synced from that computer... pictures, music, videos, apps...

So... while it would get rid of photos, it would get rid of all photo albums... and any synced music that you might enjoy currently.

or

2. IF YOU HAVE iCLOUD...

Go to Settings>General>Reset
and choose "Erase all Content & Settings (Only if you are on iOS 5 or higher).

This will erase everything and you will be back to setup the iPhone and restore your iCloud backup. All of your settings, camera roll, messages and apps will return, but all music, & album photos will be gone.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:42 AM   #25
The Game 161
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
Basically... your phone is synced with the ex's Mac. The iPhone will not let you remove Album pics from the iPhone (stupid limitation BTW).

Only 2 ways to do it.

1. Sync with another computer. This will remove anything that you synced from that computer... pictures, music, videos, apps...

So... while it would get rid of photos, it would get rid of all photo albums... and any synced music that you might enjoy currently.

or

2. IF YOU HAVE iCLOUD...

Go to Settings>General>Reset
and choose "Erase all Content & Settings (Only if you are on iOS 5 or higher).

This will erase everything and you will be back to setup the iPhone and restore your iCloud backup. All of your settings, camera roll, messages and apps will return, but all music, & album photos will be gone.

Excellent thanks...think doing a reset then back-up is the best option then. guessing you can do this through ipad too?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone