Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:08 PM   #1
DRII
macrumors newbie

Mac Pro Power Button Intermittent

Happy New Years All!

My 09 Quad MP has power button issues. Sometimes I'll press it and here a click in the tower, button no chime or boot. Sometime's, I hear nothing. Usually after pressing it 2-3 times, it boots. On December 19th, it would not boot at all. I removed my 2 internal drives and left my OS drive in and took it into the Apple Store, and they got it to boot immediately. After turning it off and on a few times, there was no video. After about 10 days, they store called me and said they replaced my video card and it was $149.99 plus $39.99 labor. I would've rather them give me the option to replace or do it myself, as I would've went with a higher end card. I brought my MP home, and after about two days im having the power button issue again. Should I bring it back to the store and have them re-diagnose it, or has any users had this same problem? Could it possibly be the power supply or button itself? Thanks in advance.
DRII is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:42 PM   #2
bax2003
macrumors 6502

Power Supply problem. There is few videos on YT witn Mac Pro PSU clicking noise and no Boot or even Power On.
bax2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:20 PM   #3
dtechlogic
macrumors regular

yes it is a power supply problem. Same problem with my mac pro 5,1. It got fixed by apple. Actually they replaced power supply, logic board and panel. Total cost almost a 1 thousand dollars. Thank you apple care. It clicks and about the third click it will turn on.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:57 PM   #4
DRII
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtechlogic View Post
yes it is a power supply problem. Same problem with my mac pro 5,1. It got fixed by apple. Actually they replaced power supply, logic board and panel. Total cost almost a 1 thousand dollars. Thank you apple care. It clicks and about the third click it will turn on.
I'm hoping I can just replace the PSU and problem solved. I'm 6 months outta Apple Care warranty and can't fork over logic board money. What problems were you having specifically with your 5,1 that needed the logic board replaced? Funny thing is I have a 2002 G4 that runs like new! Never had an issue.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:30 AM   #5
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

I have a 1,1 and it had a similar problem after a thunderstorm which blasted the electric. You get that CLICK in the tower when the power unit is fried or defective. I can't tell you 100% that it is the power supply, but I'd bet it is.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:08 AM   #6
dtechlogic
macrumors regular

Well, from me looking at my mac pro. I though the power supply was the problem. After reading the sheet of what it go replaced. THey replaced more than the power supply. But now my mac pro is running better then ever.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

TBH I'd ask for an OOW exception on that, and it's usually the PSU (it's usually accompanied by it intermittently powering off when in use too).
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:49 PM   #8
DRII
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bma View Post
TBH I'd ask for an OOW exception on that, and it's usually the PSU (it's usually accompanied by it intermittently powering off when in use too).
I was thinking the same. What's the best way to go about it? Should I go directly to the A

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bma View Post
I was thinking the same. What's the best way to go about it? Should I go directly to the store or Apple Business since that's how I purchased it?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:53 PM   #9
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRII View Post
I was thinking the same. What's the best way to go about it? Should I go directly to the A

----------

I was thinking the same. What's the best way to go about it? Should I go directly to the store or Apple Business since that's how I purchased it?
Apple Store and speak to the genius/manager. Explain the situation, and how they've already misquoted for a graphics card etc.

Be nice to them and i'd be surprised if they dont do it.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Tags
doesnotboot, macpropowerbutton, powerbutton, psu, wontpowerup