Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:00 AM   #1
lbros360
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
iPhone 5S to come standard in 32GB?

Does anyone else think that the iphone 5s might come standard in 32gb considering that the iphone might also come in colors like the new itouch? The Itouch also comes standard in 32 gb...
lbros360 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:16 AM   #2
clyde2801
macrumors 601
 
clyde2801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the land of no hills and red dirt.
Even money. Apple only went from 8 gb to 16 as the minimum with the 4s. Since they have 3 tiers of memory pricing, they'll have to be able to a) fit 128gb of flash memory in their phones, for b) a high enough profit margin thats acceptable to them.
__________________
I've found that the sanest question I can ask myself is 'Am I going crazy?' --Jack Robbins
2012 base 15" rMBP, 2012 base 11" MBA, late 2011 2.4 i7 17" MBP, 16 gb ram, Crucial M4 512gb SSD
clyde2801 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:49 AM   #3
Menel
macrumors 68040
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
Even money. Apple only went from 8 gb to 16 as the minimum with the 4s. Since they have 3 tiers of memory pricing, they'll have to be able to a) fit 128gb of flash memory in their phones, for b) a high enough profit margin thats acceptable to them.
Apple went to 16GB standard more than 2 years before the 4S.

"iPhone 3GS offers twice the capacity for the same price with a 16GB model for just $199"
--http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/06/08Apple-Announces-the-New-iPhone-3GS-The-Fastest-Most-Powerful-iPhone-Yet.html

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbros360 View Post
Does anyone else think that the iphone 5s might come standard in 32gb considering that the iphone might also come in colors like the new itouch? The Itouch also comes standard in 32 gb...
Possible, but not likely.

16GB is still largely sufficient for people. I'm a pretty hardcore nerdy user. 144 apps, 3 folders of games, a couple of playlists stored locally. And I still have 3.9GB free on my 16GB iPhone 5...

All the more casual users out there? Apple would be foolish to abandon the 16GB model and the profit margin they rake in on it.
__________________
iPhone 5 TMo, iPad Air TMo, iPod Nano (6th gen), AppleTV (2nd gen), iTunes Match
Menel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:03 AM   #4
clyde2801
macrumors 601
 
clyde2801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the land of no hills and red dirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
Apple went to 16GB standard more than 2 years before the 4S.

"iPhone 3GS offers twice the capacity for the same price with a 16GB model for just $199"
--http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/06/08Apple-Announces-the-New-iPhone-3GS-The-Fastest-Most-Powerful-iPhone-Yet.html

----------

Possible, but not likely.

16GB is still largely sufficient for people. I'm a pretty hardcore nerdy user. 144 apps, 3 folders of games, a couple of playlists stored locally. And I still have 3.9GB free on my 16GB iPhone 5...

All the more casual users out there? Apple would be foolish to abandon the 16GB model and the profit margin they rake in on it.
Wow, here's Best Buy still selling the 8gb iPhone 4.:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstempl...hterm=iphone+4

What model did Apple sell between the 4 and 4s? Wow, I guess Apple made a bunch of special, lower capacity 4 models just for Best Buy. I guess AT&T must have taken out half the flash before they sold my wife her 8gb iPhone 3gs! Dirty, thieving crooks! To not be a total douche, I wouldn't be surprised if your link was Apple or a retailer selling the 3GS after the 4 had been announced or introduced. The 16gb on the 3gs you linked to was just a temporary aberration until the 4s was introduced.

And I agree with you on the 16 gb part. Of course, it helps if you've also got an iPad to store videos on. Had to clear out some free app clutter that was on my 32 gb iPhone 4s, but quite doable.
__________________
I've found that the sanest question I can ask myself is 'Am I going crazy?' --Jack Robbins
2012 base 15" rMBP, 2012 base 11" MBA, late 2011 2.4 i7 17" MBP, 16 gb ram, Crucial M4 512gb SSD

Last edited by clyde2801; Jan 3, 2013 at 07:32 AM.
clyde2801 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:10 AM   #5
EarthNeutron
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Earth
 
see vendor information in user profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbros360 View Post
Does anyone else think that the iphone 5s might come standard in 32gb considering that the iphone might also come in colors like the new itouch? The Itouch also comes standard in 32 gb...
Yes, that might be true. I am a tech reviewer and know for a fact that the iPhone 5S and the iPad 5 will definitely come in 128 GB capacity, which means that the 16GB models are likely to be removed.
EarthNeutron is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:18 AM   #6
clyde2801
macrumors 601
 
clyde2801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the land of no hills and red dirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthNeutron View Post
Yes, that might be true. I am a tech reviewer and know for a fact that the iPhone 5S and the iPad 5 will definitely come in 128 GB capacity, which means that the 16GB models are likely to be removed.

Music hoarders, rejoice! I could also see Apple keeping the 16gb models and selling 64 and 128 gb models in lieu of the current 32 and 64 gb lineup, and keep the same or higher profit margins on the entry level machines they sell the most of. They're also positively evil geniuses when it comes to upselling.
__________________
I've found that the sanest question I can ask myself is 'Am I going crazy?' --Jack Robbins
2012 base 15" rMBP, 2012 base 11" MBA, late 2011 2.4 i7 17" MBP, 16 gb ram, Crucial M4 512gb SSD

Last edited by clyde2801; Jan 3, 2013 at 07:36 AM.
clyde2801 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:20 AM   #7
corvus32
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Outside the bubble
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
Wow, here's Best Buy still selling the 8gb iPhone 4.:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstempl...hterm=iphone+4

What model did Apple sell between the 4 and 4s?
The iP4 and 3GS originally came with 16GB minimum.

The lower priced 8GB versions did not come out until a year after their release.
__________________
iPhone 5S 16GB (Silver) | Apple TV (3rd Gen)
0_o
corvus32 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:41 AM   #8
Menel
macrumors 68040
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
Wow, here's Best Buy still selling the 8gb iPhone 4.:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstempl...hterm=iphone+4

What model did Apple sell between the 4 and 4s? Wow, I guess Apple made a bunch of special, lower capacity 4 models just for Best Buy. I guess AT&T must have taken out half the flash before they sold my wife her 8gb iPhone 3gs! Dirty, thieving crooks! To not be a total douche, I wouldn't be surprised if your link was Apple or a retailer selling the 3GS after the 4 had been announced or introduced. The 16gb on the 3gs you linked to was just a temporary aberration until the 4s was introduced.

And I agree with you on the 16 gb part. Of course, it helps if you've also got an iPad to store videos on. Had to clear out some free app clutter that was on my 32 gb iPhone 4s, but quite doable.
The document is dated June 8, 2009, date is even in the URL, it's the 3GS launch press release. You can see that for yourself. You can argue with reality all you want... but uhhh... not interested in that argument. Have fun.

8GB castrated models came out later, post-launch, as cheap options.
__________________
iPhone 5 TMo, iPad Air TMo, iPod Nano (6th gen), AppleTV (2nd gen), iTunes Match
Menel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:30 AM   #9
zildMacjian
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
i honestly thought this would happen with the 5 ! i had 16 with my 4 and tbh i was moving music and pictures all the time between my phone and pc, 32 should be the standard for the 5s or ip6 ...
__________________
16GB iPhone 4 (retired) / 64GB iPhone 5 / Previously owned - iPod Classic 160GB
zildMacjian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:33 AM   #10
barkomatic
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Manhattan
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthNeutron View Post
Yes, that might be true. I am a tech reviewer and know for a fact that the iPhone 5S and the iPad 5 will definitely come in 128 GB capacity, which means that the 16GB models are likely to be removed.
I could certainly see the iPad going to 128GB with the next refresh but the iPhone? There are only a handful of smartphones with even 64GB of built in memory. Most of the new hot phones are at 16GB (without a card slot even) and rely heavily on cloud services to provide content. I don't like to rely on the cloud for my content, so I have a 64GB model.

At any rate, I'm not saying you're wrong but I'd be surprised if Apple goes to 128GB with the next refresh. Then again, limited data plans basically force some local storage.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:05 AM   #11
Wicked1
macrumors 68040
 
Wicked1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
Apple went to 16GB standard more than 2 years before the 4S.

"iPhone 3GS offers twice the capacity for the same price with a 16GB model for just $199"
--http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/06/08Apple-Announces-the-New-iPhone-3GS-The-Fastest-Most-Powerful-iPhone-Yet.html

----------

Possible, but not likely.

16GB is still largely sufficient for people. I'm a pretty hardcore nerdy user. 144 apps, 3 folders of games, a couple of playlists stored locally. And I still have 3.9GB free on my 16GB iPhone 5...

All the more casual users out there? Apple would be foolish to abandon the 16GB model and the profit margin they rake in on it.

Also I think when the 4 goes away and the 4S drops to free, the space will stay at 16GB for the free phone. It would make sense to make the 32GB base, then 64 and 128, they only pay $.40 cents per GB so it will not hit their margins too badly to move to 128GB
__________________
iPhone 5 16GB White
2012 MacBook Pro 13" 2.5/4GB/240GB SSD
iPad Air 128GB/LTE White
Wicked1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:08 AM   #12
sviato
macrumors 68000
 
sviato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: HR 9038 A
The 16GB model is the most popular model, I doubt Apple would kill it anytime soon
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:11 AM   #13
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthNeutron View Post
Yes, that might be true. I am a tech reviewer and know for a fact that the iPhone 5S and the iPad 5 will definitely come in 128 GB capacity, which means that the 16GB models are likely to be removed.
I'd like to see the proof that the next iPhone will be 128GB. I think with Apple pushing iCloud, there will not be a larger capacity iPhone.
ucfgrad93 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:28 AM   #14
akdj
macrumors 65816
 
akdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthNeutron View Post
Yes, that might be true. I am a tech reviewer and know for a fact that the iPhone 5S and the iPad 5 will definitely come in 128 GB capacity, which means that the 16GB models are likely to be removed.
LOL---really?? In which universe are 'tech reviewers' allowed access to Apple's strategies? Sorry---but that's BS, you definitely don't know 'for a fact' anything that Apple has planned for the 5s/'5th' gen iPad. Sorry to call you out, but that's just speculation.

I like the idea of a 128GB iPhone and iPad...as I've owned 64GB versions of both since they came out. However, there are plenty of folk that don't need more than 16GB. I think they'll continue the 16 for iPhone, maybe 32GB base for the iPad....we'll see

J
akdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:47 AM   #15
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
Wow, here's Best Buy still selling the 8gb iPhone 4.:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstempl...hterm=iphone+4

What model did Apple sell between the 4 and 4s? Wow, I guess Apple made a bunch of special, lower capacity 4 models just for Best Buy. I guess AT&T must have taken out half the flash before they sold my wife her 8gb iPhone 3gs! Dirty, thieving crooks! To not be a total douche, I wouldn't be surprised if your link was Apple or a retailer selling the 3GS after the 4 had been announced or introduced. The 16gb on the 3gs you linked to was just a temporary aberration until the 4s was introduced.

And I agree with you on the 16 gb part. Of course, it helps if you've also got an iPad to store videos on. Had to clear out some free app clutter that was on my 32 gb iPhone 4s, but quite doable.
wow.


In other news... I sure hope they ditch the 16GB model in favor of a 32-gig base model. I was amped for a 128 top end but I can't/haven't filled my 64 yet. As I arrange more music and bring it into itunes it will grow and maybe I will need 128 one day.
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:52 AM   #16
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthNeutron View Post
Yes, that might be true. I am a tech reviewer and know for a fact that the iPhone 5S and the iPad 5 will definitely come in 128 GB capacity, which means that the 16GB models are likely to be removed.
Do you have a bridge to sell as well?
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:03 AM   #17
clyde2801
macrumors 601
 
clyde2801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the land of no hills and red dirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
wow.


In other news... I sure hope they ditch the 16GB model in favor of a 32-gig base model. I was amped for a 128 top end but I can't/haven't filled my 64 yet. As I arrange more music and bring it into itunes it will grow and maybe I will need 128 one day.
Okay, it was a little douchey. I'll admit to that.
__________________
I've found that the sanest question I can ask myself is 'Am I going crazy?' --Jack Robbins
2012 base 15" rMBP, 2012 base 11" MBA, late 2011 2.4 i7 17" MBP, 16 gb ram, Crucial M4 512gb SSD
clyde2801 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:05 AM   #18
wacky4alanis
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
16 GB isn't the most popular because people want exactly 16 GB - it's the most popular because it's the cheapest. If/when the difference in cost between the 16 and 32 GB chip falls below some threshold, Apple will up the minimum size to 32 GB. I'm not sure exactly what that threshold is, but I can assure you that it is set to maximize Apple's projected profit margin.
wacky4alanis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:08 AM   #19
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky4alanis View Post
16 GB isn't the most popular because people want exactly 16 GB - it's the most popular because it's the cheapest. If/when the difference in cost between the 16 and 32 GB chip falls below some threshold, Apple will up the minimum size to 32 GB. I'm not sure exactly what that threshold is, but I can assure you that it is set to maximize Apple's projected profit margin.
This as well. The majority of people don't know what GB, HDD and RAM mean let alone how they function. If it works for them, they'll buy it.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:09 AM   #20
clyde2801
macrumors 601
 
clyde2801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the land of no hills and red dirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky4alanis View Post
16 GB isn't the most popular because people want exactly 16 GB - it's the most popular because it's the cheapest. If/when the difference in cost between the 16 and 32 GB chip falls below some threshold, Apple will up the minimum size to 32 GB. I'm not sure exactly what that threshold is, but I can assure you that it is set to maximize Apple's projected profit margin.
Which is why apple would leave the base model 16 gb for now, and increase the sizes for the bigger models. They'd make the same profit or more from their biggest selling models, and encourage more people to buy the bigger ones.
__________________
I've found that the sanest question I can ask myself is 'Am I going crazy?' --Jack Robbins
2012 base 15" rMBP, 2012 base 11" MBA, late 2011 2.4 i7 17" MBP, 16 gb ram, Crucial M4 512gb SSD
clyde2801 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:09 AM   #21
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
I don't think we'll see 16 GB go away because of iCloud services. I'd like to be able to live with lower capacity (read cheaper) iDevices if I can get reliable Internet everywhere I go to stream content. With carriers pushing away from unlimited data, this may be hard.
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:12 AM   #22
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I'd like to see the proof that the next iPhone will be 128GB. I think with Apple pushing iCloud, there will not be a larger capacity iPhone.
You make a good point.

With all of the icloud push it makes you wonder if they would favor a higher-capacity unit.

The only arguments I can think of in FAVOR of higher capacity vs. cloud:

1. Profit potential. Sure there's a lot of profit potential in the icloud and cloud services BUT if I'm not mistaken, people can cancel these at any time. I would think it would maybe be beneficial to introduce another tier of memory and secure the sale at a higher price versus hoping that users pay for cloud storage.

2. Carrier constraints. With carriers moving toward tiered, capped, etc. data plans, it makes everything cloud much less appealing to consumers. I personally am NOT a fan of EVERYTHING cloud. I do like the photo stream sharing but for the most part I like things stored locally where I can access them whenever I want without using data.

...you do make a good point though. Apple is going to have to balance between those of us who want higher capacity locally and their push to move everything to the cloud.
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:15 AM   #23
Patriot24
macrumors 68000
 
Patriot24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Apple wants you to use iCloud and related features (iTunes Match). I do not think that increasing storage capacity is high on their list of hardware improvements to iOS devices.
__________________
iphone + air + ipad + time capsule + classic + shuffle + tv
Patriot24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:19 AM   #24
sk24iam
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I hope they increase the storage so I can get a 64gig at the price the 32gig normally goes for.
sk24iam is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC