Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:24 AM   #1
gman1001
macrumors newbie

10.5.8 External HD Kernal Panic

Trying to upgrade an operational 1st generation iMAC 1.6GHZ PPC 256MB RAM. which is currently on 10.3.9.

I cloned another working 3rd generation iMAC 1.9GHZ PPC 1gig RAM which is running 10.5.8 onto a firewire external HD.

When connecting the cloned drive to the 1st generation (target) mac, the system recognizes it just fine. When I attempt to boot to that drive, (holding command at boot up) the system sees the drive, I select it, it takes a moment, then the system goes into kernal panic.

At no other time does the 1st generation iMAC have issues.

The spec for Leopard is a minimum of 512MB RAM. Could this be causing the issue?

Any thoughts appreciated.
gman1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:31 AM   #2
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

I would certainly try to max out the RAM.

However, what you really need is a proper OS X installer disk for Leopard, rather than a clone from some other Mac.

But without seeing the entire crashlog, it's hard to know what the cause of the KP is. Post it as a .txt attachment.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:33 AM   #3
gman1001
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
I would certainly try to max out the RAM.

However, what you really need is a proper OS X installer disk for Leopard, rather than a clone from some other Mac.

But without seeing the entire crashlog, it's hard to know what the cause of the KP is. Post it as a .txt attachment.
I hear on the install disk - unfortunately the disks were lost many moons ago.

Whats the best way to view/share the crash log? There is nothing on screen.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:43 AM   #4
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Ah. Silly me. If you can't boot up the system, then that's going to complicate matters.
You might be able to view crashlogs on the external, when not the boot drive, at /Library/Logs/CrashReporter. But it may not have booted up to the point of writing crashlogs properly, of course.

What's on the internal drive on this Mac? It may just be a problem booting from FireWire, rather than an issue with the system itself. Any reason you can't clone to the internal drive?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:01 AM   #5
gman1001
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
Ah. Silly me. If you can't boot up the system, then that's going to complicate matters.
You might be able to view crashlogs on the external, when not the boot drive, at /Library/Logs/CrashReporter. But it may not have booted up to the point of writing crashlogs properly, of course.

What's on the internal drive on this Mac? It may just be a problem booting from FireWire, rather than an issue with the system itself. Any reason you can't clone to the internal drive?
Interesting question - if i'm trying to boot the external and the crash happens, very early in the boot process, is the crash on the internal HD or external? Not sure.

Internal drive has a fully functioning 10.3.9. 80gig drive.

The intention is to boot to my external HD (Leopard) and then clone the external to the internal - making the machine a new Leopard machine.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:27 AM   #6
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Mac hardware boots up to one OS only. If it's booting from the external drive, the OS on the internal is not involved at all.

I would suggest either cloning with the iMac in Target Mode from another Mac; or putting a newer, bigger HD in the iMac, with Leopard already on it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X