Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Liquidizer
macrumors newbie

Offline External Hard Drive

Hello,

I've been searching around for a while now looking for a solution to my problem but to no avail. What I'm looking for, as hinted at in the title, is an external hard drive for my iPad 3, that does not require an internet connection. I came across the Kingston Wi-Drive, as well as the Seagate GoFlex however as far as I can tell both of these devices nneed a wi-fi connection. I realise I'm unlikely to find an external device the iPad can access without it relying on an internet connection but I just want to make sure. Maybe there's some kind of device that works via bluetooth or something? (No, probably not, I'm not very good at all of this stuff so please don't shout at me )

Thank you in advance.
Liquidizer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:16 PM   #2
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Wi-Drive creates its own network to connect to so you don't need an active Internet connection to use it.

The Go-Flex is the same as well. It creates a network for you to join so you don't need an Internet connection.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/article...S/FAQ/219399en
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Liquidizer
macrumors newbie

Oh, silly me! Thank you for your help.
Liquidizer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:25 AM   #4
str8bucs
macrumors regular

Can you still connect to the internet while connected to these devices?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:17 AM   #5
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8bucs View Post
Can you still connect to the internet while connected to these devices?
I don't think so since you're essentially already on a network. I think they're designed to use for media playback.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:30 AM   #6
str8bucs
macrumors regular

That's what I thought... that sucks!!!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:51 PM   #7
webworks415
macrumors regular

So theoretically you wouldn't be able to listen to music stored on your external and browse the web at the same time...aww.
webworks415 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:30 PM   #8
HengenJL
macrumors 6502

from what I've read both the Wi-Drive and GoFlex have the ability to have a "pass through" mode. so you'd connect the Wi-Drive/GoFlex to your home network and then connect the iPad to Wi-Drive/GoFlex and have internet access.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:04 PM   #9
Fry-man22
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
I don't think so since you're essentially already on a network. I think they're designed to use for media playback.
Can't speak for the Kingston, but a GoFlex on a current firmware version allows you to connect the goflex internal streaming network to an existing WiFi network with web access. You just tell it the network and provide the credentials and then all requests that don't point to the drive get forwarded to the external network.

Other than the lack of any library management type stuff the GoFlex is really cool. The little app will pick back up where you left off, but it doesn't do things like mark watched episodes of a TV show or anything.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:38 AM   #10
webworks415
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HengenJL View Post
from what I've read both the Wi-Drive and GoFlex have the ability to have a "pass through" mode. so you'd connect the Wi-Drive/GoFlex to your home network and then connect the iPad to Wi-Drive/GoFlex and have internet access.
Thank you for clearing that up
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:52 PM   #11
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fry-man22 View Post
Can't speak for the Kingston, but a GoFlex on a current firmware version allows you to connect the goflex internal streaming network to an existing WiFi network with web access. You just tell it the network and provide the credentials and then all requests that don't point to the drive get forwarded to the external network.

Other than the lack of any library management type stuff the GoFlex is really cool. The little app will pick back up where you left off, but it doesn't do things like mark watched episodes of a TV show or anything.
Thanks, I couldn't find any info on this one or the Kingston. Glad to hear you can still use the Internet when connected to one of these.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:34 PM   #12
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030

Also check out the AirStash. Slightly different concept but same results. It uss removable memory cards. For me, I like this as I can just load up several with different categories of media. It also supports SideLink, allowing simultaneous connection to WiFi signal. Also, since its WebDAV compliant, it serves double duty as a means of xferring pics from your digital camera to your iDevices, and it works with any other device that can see a WebDAV repository....like my Smart TV.

Good support too, serviced by Memorex here in USA.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:37 AM   #13
webworks415
macrumors regular

A few new wireless drives have been announced

Seagate's Wireless Plus is 1TB for $200 and goes on sale tomorrow

http://gizmodo.com/5973605/hands-on-...reless-storage

HP Pocket Playlist for $130 but storage capacity has not been announced. It says it can hold 16 full length movies, 7,600 songs or 10,000 photos and will be available in February.

http://www.slashgear.com/hp-pocket-p...2013-06263294/
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:10 AM   #14
TJ61
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by webworks415 View Post
Wow, looks like you don't need to know much about gizmos to write for Gizmodo. Whoever wrote that must think WiFi is magical.

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories