Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcguganator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Hey guys,

So recently got a new Macbook Pro and have been fiddling around with GeekTool and the new Mission Control to create some cool minimalistic workspaces.

One thing I'm wondering is if there is any codeable (well I suppose everything is codeable but I'm talking within reason here) way to have the dock items change as I switch to a different desktop. Microsoft Office, calendar and such for a more work-focused desktop; iTunes, some synths & DJ software for a media-focused desktop and so on. If anyone knows of any application out there (or wants to code something :D ) I would be extremely excited!

On a significantly less challenging note, I'm also curious if there's any way to make specific applications open up on a certain desktop like you were able to in Snow Leopard with Spaces. Haven't quite figured that out yet :(

Looking forward to your replies, gang!

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
I don't have an answer for your first question, but the answer for the second is fairly simple. First, using MC, add another desktop/space (or two, or three etc), if you haven't already. Then, go into each space and open the apps you want limited to it. For example, Safari and iTunes in one, Mail and Messages in another, etc. Then, you have to select each individual application in the dock, right click it, and under options select Assign to this Desktop. That should force them to open in your selected space.
I referred to this as well:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4139762?start=15&tstart=0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.