Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blue rocket

Suspended
Jul 28, 2010
CT, USA
i got mine today (black). It's beautiful and extremely well made, the blue color matches the anodizing of the black iPhone 5 perfectly -- impressive. It's also wide enough (while still being slim) that if you put it face down or back down it will be raised enough off the surface to prevent any scratching.

Fitment is great..however there are a few things I do not like. One, it makes the phone feel wide... like considerably wider than my iPhone 5 with the Power Support Air Jacket on it. Two, I have some slight scuffs on the anodizing from the factory... the bumper in no way covers that up, so I can see the silver specs pretty easily. Lastly, the power button has pretty much zero tactile feedback, it works just fine, but gives no feeling that you are actually clicking it.

If you like bumper cases, i'd have to say this is the best you will ever find. If you are used to a slim case, like the Air Jacket, you will not like it. I took it off already and went back to my black Air Jacket...

Oh well, I had high hopes.

ThunderApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Nice review!!!! It answered 2 of my questions!

1- I am so glad that you put the silver/white on a back iPhone! It doesn't look as good as I though, so I will go for silver/back!

2- This can protect the iPhone 5 frame because I got some dents on mine with the Elago outfit case.

I found this is also available in HK local store for $339 which is US$43 and shipping should be less than US$10bucks.

It is quite expensive but it is still cheaper from any website.

I wish Apple is not going to make any change on next iPhone...
Can you post a link to that store?

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
i got mine today (black). It's beautiful and extremely well made, the blue color matches the anodizing of the black iPhone 5 perfectly -- impressive. It's also wide enough (while still being slim) that if you put it face down or back down it will be raised enough off the surface to prevent any scratching.

Fitment is great..however there are a few things I do not like. One, it makes the phone feel wide... like considerably wider than my iPhone 5 with the Power Support Air Jacket on it. Two, I have some slight scuffs on the anodizing from the factory... the bumper in no way covers that up, so I can see the silver specs pretty easily. Lastly, the power button has pretty much zero tactile feedback, it works just fine, but gives no feeling that you are actually clicking it.

If you like bumper cases, i'd have to say this is the best you will ever find. If you are used to a slim case, like the Air Jacket, you will not like it. I took it off already and went back to my black Air Jacket...

Oh well, I had high hopes.

Pictures please!

deep3lue

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
Singapore
Nice review!!!! It answered 2 of my questions!

1- I am so glad that you put the silver/white on a back iPhone! It doesn't look as good as I though, so I will go for silver/back!

2- This can protect the iPhone 5 frame because I got some dents on mine with the Elago outfit case.

I found this is also available in HK local store for $339 which is US$43 and shipping should be less than US$10bucks.

It is quite expensive but it is still cheaper from any website.

I wish Apple is not going to make any change on next iPhone...

Welcome! Hope my review would have cleared any doubts anyone of you might have on it. :)

HHHHH

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
This is one SICK looking bumper but for $50+ its just too expensive for me. Are there really no plans to bring this stateside? They would make a killing!

B2FiNiTY

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2011
I just got mine yesterday and have to report that it is really beautiful. I'm mostly worried that it will get loose after awhile.

:cool:

bananataffy

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
One, it makes the phone feel wide... like considerably wider than my iPhone 5 with the Power Support Air Jacket on it...
If you are used to a slim case, like the Air Jacket, you will not like it. I took it off already and went back to my black Air Jacket...

this is what i realized after looking at all the pictures and videos that's been posted, that it adds a noticeable amount of width and height to the phone. it seems like the air jacket is still the best slim and low profile case out there that protects all edges.

this is the best bumper out there without a doubt though. they should release it outside of Japan, i bet it would be really popular. power support definitely knows a thing or 2 about design.

blue rocket

Suspended
Jul 28, 2010
CT, USA
this is what i realized after looking at all the pictures and videos that's been posted, that it adds a noticeable amount of width and height to the phone. it seems like the air jacket is still the best slim and low profile case out there that protects all edges.

this is the best bumper out there without a doubt though. they should release it outside of Japan, i bet it would be really popular. power support definitely knows a thing or 2 about design.

this is 100% true. The Air Jacket is by far the best case I have used...while it doesn't give the protection of an Otterbox, it protects, looks great and keeps the form factor of the iPhone 5. I will say, I put the bumper back on, for the price I paid I did want to use it...and it's slightly growing on me...it does look fantastic -- the extra height of the phone isn't much at all, but the width is what's annoying.

Enforce

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2012
South East Asia
This is one SICK looking bumper but for $50+ its just too expensive for me. Are there really no plans to bring this stateside? They would make a killing!

We are planning to make this more affordable for people in America & EU. stay tuned! ;)

meantime, we still ship internationally if you can't wait to get it. :)

----------

this is 100% true. The Air Jacket is by far the best case I have used...while it doesn't give the protection of an Otterbox, it protects, looks great and keeps the form factor of the iPhone 5. I will say, I put the bumper back on, for the price I paid I did want to use it...and it's slightly growing on me...it does look fantastic -- the extra height of the phone isn't much at all, but the width is what's annoying.

can't say for sure because both cases are in different categories. namely a snap back case & a bumper. however both are the best in class, minus the pricing of course. but you know as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. :)

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
Hope this Bumper is worth the aggro i've had with regards to it.

Mine has been stuck in Customs since December 26th. Finally got released today but is still nowhere near being delivered and i have a £20.97 customs charge to pay :(

Enforce

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2012
South East Asia
Hope this Bumper is worth the aggro i've had with regards to it.

Mine has been stuck in Customs since December 26th. Finally got released today but is still nowhere near being delivered and i have a £20.97 customs charge to pay :(

That's sure a lot of extra money to pay. i guessed the seller declared full commercial value during shipping.

anyway, good luck i'm pretty sure its worthwhile, after testing it for ourselves. :)

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
That's sure a lot of extra money to pay. i guessed the seller declared full commercial value during shipping.

anyway, good luck i'm pretty sure its worthwhile, after testing it for ourselves. :)

I hope it is, if not it's going on eBay.

duhyes

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
http://pawasapo.co.jp/products/iphone/pjk60.php?category=iphone_5

Any idea when this will come to the USA?

It honestly looks amazing. I'm loving the flat volume/sleep/wake button so that the bumper looks seamless.

After translating the page. It says:

The set includes:
  • One flat body bumper
  • LCD screen protection film
  • Sheet 1 AFP (Anti-Finger Protection) Crystal Film
  • One anti-glare film
  • One protective film for the back
  • One microfiber cleaner cloth
  • Adjust the power button five seal

Also stated is that it can't be used with the 30 pin adapter.

It's said to cost 3,280 yen which is about $38. Wish PS would give us the option to just buy the bumper alone.

LCD screen protection film
Sheet 1 AFP (Anti-Finger Protection) Crystal Film
One anti-glare film
One protective film for the back

wtf is that?? they giving us 4 screen protectors?

Whats the difference between them?

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
LCD screen protection film
Sheet 1 AFP (Anti-Finger Protection) Crystal Film
One anti-glare film
One protective film for the back

wtf is that?? they giving us 4 screen protectors?

Whats the difference between them?

If I didn't read that incorrectly, they are all different protectors.

3 of them are front protectors:

• LCD Screen Protection - A normal screen protector
  • Anti-Finger Print - Reduces the finger prints that are left behind whilst interacting with the iPhone (once applied).
  • Anti-Glare - Applies a fuse within the screen protector so that sunlight is defused, so that light doesn't effect the clarity of the screen. (Makes screen look less clearer though (like if there's no Retina), and provides Anti-Finger print protection too).

And a standard back protector.

deep3lue

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
Singapore
Actually the packaging only consists of 2 front screen protector, the crystal clear and the anti-glare and 1 back film protector that feels similar to Zagg/Bodyguardz skin. The back film is much thicker than the normal frontal screen protectors.

I know because I reviewed the bumper in my earlier post. Go check it out.

duhyes

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
If I didn't read that incorrectly, they are all different protectors.

3 of them are front protectors:

• LCD Screen Protection - A normal screen protector
  • Anti-Finger Print - Reduces the finger prints that are left behind whilst interacting with the iPhone (once applied).
  • Anti-Glare - Applies a fuse within the screen protector so that sunlight is defused, so that light doesn't effect the clarity of the screen. (Makes screen look less clearer though (like if there's no Retina), and provides Anti-Finger print protection too).

And a standard back protector.

ty i might buy this case tho, i dont know about the bumpers but when you hold the iphone doesnt it feel weird with the bumber cause there is not protection for the back so you can feel the 2 sides of the bumpers it doesnt feel right

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
ty i might buy this case tho, i dont know about the bumpers but when you hold the iphone doesnt it feel weird with the bumber cause there is not protection for the back so you can feel the 2 sides of the bumpers it doesnt feel right

Have you ever used a bumper case before? Perhaps before spending your money, maybe you should pick up a 2.99 USD ebay bumper case. Anyone asking a question like you have I would recommend going real cheap first. Most people that choose these type of cases don't worry about the phone 'feeling weird'.

Enforce

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2012
South East Asia

An iPhone bumper is just like the bumper of a car, same concept. It's there to protect the device from bumps. An additional layer, not necessary thick & ugly. ;)

deep3lue

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
Singapore

If you have ever dropped your iPhone before or watched someone dropping their phones before, you would have noticed that the likeliest spots where the phone got hit are at it's sides. Granted there may have times where the phone hits the ground flat but even so, great bumpers are those that are meant to absorb the hit, preventing the phone from getting damaged in the process.

Now if you are wondering why there isn't any protection at the back, then you must first ask yourself what kind of case or bumper do you like to have on your phone that represents your taste? If you are the kind that wants to show off the design of the phone, you will try your best to find the kind of protection that will not hide the surfaces of the phone as much as possible but yet giving it a high chance of survival when it gets dropped.

Or maybe you have a particular idea or design in your head which you want to show off at the back of the phone, something that ultimately represents your ideals. So, with a bumper, you pair it up with something nice at the back, for example the Trunket Skin, or like Elementcase where they provide a suede backing. Whatever it is, that's the function and opportunity that having a bumper could bring you. It gives the owner an added option of dressing up your iPhone in a manner which you hope is uniquely you.

However if you are the type that couldn't be bothered to dress up your phone, then may I respectfully suggest that you consider having a proper case instead, rather than to go for a bumper. At least having a case will not make your phone feel 'weird' in your hands.

duhyes

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
If you have ever dropped your iPhone before or watched someone dropping their phones before, you would have noticed that the likeliest spots where the phone got hit are at it's sides. Granted there may have times where the phone hits the ground flat but even so, great bumpers are those that are meant to absorb the hit, preventing the phone from getting damaged in the process.

Now if you are wondering why there isn't any protection at the back, then you must first ask yourself what kind of case or bumper do you like to have on your phone that represents your taste? If you are the kind that wants to show off the design of the phone, you will try your best to find the kind of protection that will not hide the surfaces of the phone as much as possible but yet giving it a high chance of survival when it gets dropped.

Or maybe you have a particular idea or design in your head which you want to show off at the back of the phone, something that ultimately represents your ideals. So, with a bumper, you pair it up with something nice at the back, for example the Trunket Skin, or like Elementcase where they provide a suede backing. Whatever it is, that's the function and opportunity that having a bumper could bring you. It gives the owner an added option of dressing up your iPhone in a manner which you hope is uniquely you.

However if you are the type that couldn't be bothered to dress up your phone, then may I respectfully suggest that you consider having a proper case instead, rather than to go for a bumper. At least having a case will not make your phone feel 'weird' in your hands.

ty i might get this bumper becuase i like the design of the iphone and i dont want a case that covers over it

duhyes

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
since its 38$ how much would it be?

I'm in canada so there is tax and ship fees

How much would it be with tax+ship taxes and fees for power support usa?

Can you calculate 38$ with that i want this bumper when it comes out thanks!

QUOTE PLS and thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.