Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:22 PM   #1
zdobson
macrumors 6502

Recommendations for listening setup?

I'm buying some good headphones and I want to know how to improve the audio signal coming from my Mac Pro. Would a digital audio interface be the way to go? If so, which ones would be good just for a listening setup. I won't be recording.

I have a vintage Pioneer amp that I'm currently using too, so that could be used in the setup or not.

I'm also wondering about mobile listening. I have a 5th Gen iPod classic and an iPhone 4. Is there a setup people use to improve sound there? I've seen a few options using a small amp connected to the dock.

Maybe there's one option that could be used for both? Some sort of portable amp that would accept either a USB/Firewire or dock connector? I don't know, just guessing here. Any feedback is appreciated.
zdobson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Gofre
macrumors regular

What's your budget and what headphones are you buying? There's a few different options.
Gofre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:56 PM   #3
zdobson
macrumors 6502

I'm thinking I'll buy the Grado SR80i. They seem to get great reviews and are only $99. I considered the Aiaiai TMA-1, but I think they were a little heavy on the bass for some genres.

As for budget, I'd probably like to stay under a couple hundred dollars.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:55 PM   #4
Destroysall
macrumors 65816

What music will you be listening to? The Grado headphones are very mid-range heavy. They work great for acoustics, classic rock, and string orchestras.
Destroysall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:35 AM   #5
zdobson
macrumors 6502

I listen to a lot of different things, so I think I probably need something pretty neutral. Can one set of headphones sound as good for John Coltrane as it does for LCD Soundsystem? Or The Who, Sufjan Stevens, Paul Simon or Herbie Hancock?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:47 AM   #6
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdobson View Post
I'm thinking I'll buy the Grado SR80i. They seem to get great reviews and are only $99. I considered the Aiaiai TMA-1, but I think they were a little heavy on the bass for some genres.

As for budget, I'd probably like to stay under a couple hundred dollars.
I have the AKG K240 Studio headphones, also $99. These have a a very accurate sound. I use the headphone amp built into a Presunus Firewire audio interface. The K240 is a little hard to drive but the Presonus headphone amp set at about 2 (out of 10) is way-loud

So, what to look for is a good headphone amp, the S/PDIF out of the Mac is actually bit-per-bit perfect. I'd ue that.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:53 AM   #7
torana355
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I'm buying some good headphones and I want to know how to improve the audio signal coming from my Mac Pro. Would a digital audio interface be the way to go? If so, which ones would be good just for a listening setup. I won't be recording.

I have a vintage Pioneer amp that I'm currently using too, so that could be used in the setup or not.

I'm also wondering about mobile listening. I have a 5th Gen iPod classic and an iPhone 4. Is there a setup people use to improve sound there? I've seen a few options using a small amp connected to the dock.

Maybe there's one option that could be used for both? Some sort of portable amp that would accept either a USB/Firewire or dock connector? I don't know, just guessing here. Any feedback is appreciated.
Something like this could suit your needs. I use one to drive my Hifiman HE-400 planers. It is a DAC and amp in one. It has multiple inputs including usb.

http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/inde...nuID=105026002
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:38 AM   #8
Destroysall
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I listen to a lot of different things, so I think I probably need something pretty neutral. Can one set of headphones sound as good for John Coltrane as it does for LCD Soundsystem? Or The Who, Sufjan Stevens, Paul Simon or Herbie Hancock?
What is your budget?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:40 AM   #9
spoonie1972
macrumors 6502

a used mytek stereo96 DAC would fit the ticket. It's not a consumer item so there is no fanfare for the brand name.

It is a fantastic piece of gear. When i'm not using the ADC version of it for input, i'm using it for its clock. It;s GOOD.

iirc, the most recent iteration of it (it has probably been superseded by the 192khz model) has optical in.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:20 AM   #10
zdobson
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
Something like this could suit your needs. I use one to drive my Hifiman HE-400 planers. It is a DAC and amp in one. It has multiple inputs including usb.

http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/inde...nuID=105026002
I was considering fiio. What's the difference between the E7 and the E17? Also, I see that I could use the USB to connect that to the computer, but what about the iPod/iPhone? They have several dock connectors, which I assume would be the way to go, but which one?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:33 AM   #11
Destroysall
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I was considering fiio. What's the difference between the E7 and the E17? Also, I see that I could use the USB to connect that to the computer, but what about the iPod/iPhone? They have several dock connectors, which I assume would be the way to go, but which one?
Go with the E17 and use a Line-Out Dock connector (LOD).
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:52 PM   #12
bwhli
macrumors Demi-God

If you're not going to be doing any recording, you can get something like this. It's not too expensive, and will greatly improve your sound quality when you use headphones. As for headphones, I recommend the Shure SRH840. I use these at home.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 01:29 PM   #13
torana355
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The E17 is much more powerful, its the newer model. I use the L9 dock connector, its the L shaped one, works a treat
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:12 PM   #14
zdobson
macrumors 6502

I've had a few recommendations for the ATH-M50 headphones, so I might check those out, too. E17 DAC seems like a great way to go for combined computer and mobile listening.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio